Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#11491306 10/09/16
woodson Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What do you guys recommend for a liner-sock combo for the money? Uninsilated boot, driving and stand hunting. I get swamp foot during drives and freeze up during watches.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Liner socks certainly make a difference to me. And the liner socks at WalMart currently under the Realtree label are the ones I've been using. I stocked up on a bunch of them. They are as good--or better--tha any other (expensive) liner I've used.

Over the liners I wear Smartwool hiking socks. I run uninsulated hiking boots for hunting Sept-Nov, and my feet don't get cold.

Caes

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Costco merino wool socks and spray anti perspirant on your feet.

I've never used liners so can't comment there.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Antiperspirant on the feet? Really? Never considered that. You BSing me?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He's not.

I just bought Smartwool liners for this year. I've been wearing Smartwool socks for a while with no liners. It works but the socks do get sweat soaked.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hah! No BS. My feet get swampy when I hike and then if I'm sitting for a few hours, they'll freeze.

If you get sweaty swampy feet, the AP spray works well.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wear smart wool liners and socks.

In your situation I'd wear that combo for walking and pack another big heavy sock to put on while sitting.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Polypropeline (sp) liners and Merino wool socks

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm a member of large hunting club that puts on large scale deer drives. Need to be prepared for slowly freezing to death or driving the the length of a mountain for 2-3 hours. 2 drives before lunch and 2 drives after.

Last edited by woodson; 10/09/16.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I used to swear by Smartwool but now use Darn Tough. They're the only sock company I've heard of that has a lifetime guarantee AND has a product that is comfortable enough that you'd want to take em up on it.

Like smart wool, there are a lot of models to choose from according to your needs/taste.

I found poly liners to be unhelpful and I went to spray-on antiperspirant as mentioned above. Much better. MUCH...

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bass Pro now carries a life time guarantee on some of their socks.

I use Cabela's poly sock liners. I have both Cabelas heavy wool blend hunting sock and Bass Pro's. Bass Pro's are more comfortable for me.

I tried the Costcos, Merino wool blends, but they didn't holdup well with heavy use. Their merino wool/poly long johns are great though

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Liner socks certainly make a difference to me. And the liner socks at WalMart currently under the Realtree label are the ones I've been using. I stocked up on a bunch of them. They are as good--or better--tha any other (expensive) liner I've used.

Over the liners I wear Smartwool hiking socks. I run uninsulated hiking boots for hunting Sept-Nov, and my feet don't get cold.

Caes

+1

I also carry a spare pair of socks and change out if I need to.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I need to try the Costco Merino long underwear. I've tried but when I show up they are long gone. I may make a run there tomorrow.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by efw
I used to swear by Smartwool but now use Darn Tough. They're the only sock company I've heard of that has a lifetime guarantee AND has a product that is comfortable enough that you'd want to take em up on it.

Like smart wool, there are a lot of models to choose from according to your needs/taste.

I've all but switched to Darn Tough too. I still have 1-2 pairs of SmartWool socks that I'll wear until they wear out. I have used liner socks from REI and Cabelas and found both to be about equivalent. I only wear them when I'm doing a lot of hiking/walking though. Sitting I wear insulated boots with a single pair of insulated socks. I find that if I try to wear multiple pairs of socks it just chokes my feet and they get clammy and ultimately cold.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Darn Tough by a mile.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Darn tough no liners !

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thorlo is the best sock I know of; never tried Darn Toughs.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thorlo's for firefighting, only sock that my turnout boots wont eat.

Darn Tough for hiking and cold weather deer hunting.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by woodson
I'm a member of large hunting club that puts on large scale deer drives. Need to be prepared for slowly freezing to death or driving the the length of a mountain for 2-3 hours. 2 drives before lunch and 2 drives after.

Do you wear rubber boots? If you do then swamp feet come with the package. About all you can do is carry extra dry socks when it gets real bad. And maybe a piece of old wool or fleece blanket stuffed in your pack that you can put over feet/boots when sitting long periods. I've also seen insulated over-boots designed to pull on when sitting - never tried them.

I grew up hunting in a club that did drives all day up in the western Adirondacks. So same issues in a area that gets a little colder. Carry a day pack so I can adjust clothing layers between sitting and driving, but tough to do for feet! We still drive, but usually not all day now.

Constant damp feet is one of the reasons I quit wearing rubber boots and switched to leather or leather/fabric boots with goretex liners. Most don't hold up very many seasons before liners start to leak, but still better for me than rubber boots.

For socks I still think good high wool content socks as thick as you can fit without being too tight are the best. I use mainly smartwool in different weights depending on weather and boots. When I did wear rubber boots cabelas carried a wool sock with a very dense, tight knit foot area and a looser knit top section that worked pretty well. The foot/ankle area was white wool and the upper leg gray. Similar to what they currently show as "Cabela's Men's 61 Series Wool Boot Socks"

I also gave up on liner socks in rubber boots. They'd fall/work themselves down inside the heavier socks because of the loose ankle/leg fit of the boots.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Who sells the Darn Tough socks? iv not heard of them been useing Smart Wool for a long time now!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 43 invisible), 1,991 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,067
Posts18,463,501
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.