24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
Hi not sure where to put this - but what is everyone using to keep your sling in place ( on the shoulder) while packing ?
I was sure someone on 24hourcampfire posted a diy option sometime back as well and had used a plastic base plate and rubber stopper arrangement ?
I'd like to stop my sling sliding off my shoulder constantly .

Cheers.

FB

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ted Thorn and I each made our own versions of a sling keeper unbeknownst to each other. There were a couple threads on these at the backpack hunting forum last winter. Basically, I'd tried the Dark Mountain "Slingsaver", and found it essentially worthless as its wrap-around strap rubbed into my shoulder making it raw... I chucked it in the trash and built my own.

Here's the link for more:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Pack_Rifle_Sling_Keeper...#Post11081646

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Or you can do what hunters have been doing since the beginning of time: sew a large button onto the top of the garment at the outer limit of your shoulder. The button will prevent the rifle sling from slipping off your shoulder.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Or you can use the sternum strap on your pack.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks KC Hadn't thought of that.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KC

Or you can use the sternum strap on your pack.

KC

I do this at times when climbing steep stuff, but it still doesn't work as well as in conjunction wth a keeper on the shoulder strap... BTDT

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
OP Offline
Thanks guys - sorry meant to say using with a pack - I was about to order the Slingsaver and wondered about the strap.

I'm guessing by using the sternum strap - simply run it through the sling ?

Thanks for the link Brad - these were the ones I saw if I remember correctly. I'll post one up if I make one.

Cheers

FB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems to me the judicious use of some Velcro strapping would do the trick.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd love to hear all about a "velcro" keeper... enlighten us please.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hook my sling over my Cabelas frame, to relieve my shoulder somewhat.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

Velcro strapping could be used in various ways.

1. Attach a piece to the top of the pack strap. Attach a mating piece to the rifle strap, either underneath or at the inside edge.

2. Put a loop on the pack strap, attached at the center of the strap. Shoulder the rifle and connect the loop.

No matter the method, attachment and detachment of the rifle should be very quick. Haven't ever tried it with a rifle but have used a lot of Velcro to hold things in place where frequent detachment is required.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/24/16. Reason: spelnig

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've found velcro to be kinda noisy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

1. Attach a piece to the top of the pack strap. Attach a mating piece to the rifle strap, either underneath or at the inside edge.

2. Put a loop on the pack strap, attached at the center of the strap. Shoulder the rifle and connect the loop.

No matter the method, attachment and detachment of the rifle should be very quick. Haven't ever tried it with a rifle but have used a lot of Velcro to hold things in place where frequent detachment is required.

Sounds like you and Rube Goldberg should team up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rosco1
I've found velcro to be kinda noisy.

Yeah, nothing like that obnoxious ripping sound when you're peeling your gun off your shoulder to catch that big bull unaware... good grief.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Holy fu ck, doesn't anyone carry their damn rifle in their hands anymore? Rifle has to be 6 pounds now days and you won't even pack the mother fu cker the way they were meant to be packed. For fu cks sake.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sounds like you and Rube Goldberg should team up.

What works well and is cheap and good still works well and is cheap and good.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

So, you've done it with velcro?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Holy fu ck, doesn't anyone carry their damn rifle in their hands anymore? Rifle has to be 6 pounds now days and you won't even pack the mother fu cker the way they were meant to be packed. For fu cks sake.....

I do lawrence always got to be ready to shoot.. I also don't run around with a round in the chamber either even though Winchester makes one of the best safeties on the market!

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Lighten up Francis. There's lots of times when you don't want your rifle in your hands. Like climbing a steep slope in the dark before shooting hours. Or packing a load of meat out, with your tag punched.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Try a "damn rifle" in your hands with this 85lb load on a 45* slope in spruce blow-down hell... I know because I did it yesterday unlike someone on the internet running their mouth on a subject they have no experience with...

Yesterday's:

[Linked Image]

Last year's:

[Linked Image]

The year before:

[Linked Image]

The year before that:

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice horns Brad!

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

You tell 'em.

Nothing says hard core like this pic.....LMAO.

[Linked Image]

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Try a "damn rifle" in your hands with this 85lb load on a 45* slope in spruce blow-down hell... I know because I did it yesterday unlike someone on the internet running their mouth on a subject they have no experience with...

Yesterday's:

[Linked Image]

Last year's:

[Linked Image]

The year before:

[Linked Image]

The year before that:

[Linked Image]

Very nice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Smoke, thanks.

I gave Ted's "Sling Stud" a thorough workout. It was great. I like it as well as my own design, and I think his "Franken Stud" (which is wider than the one I used) would be better than both.

When humping a normal 50lb pack on normal terrain, the keeper holds it in place nicely. When negotiating really steep terrain, tucking the sling under the sternum strap in addition to the keeper (sling stud) is the way to go. When the load gets ridiculous and the terrain even worse, that's the ONLY way to go.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Does Ted sell those things?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I've encouraged him to do so. I think his is a terrific design.

Here's his (the new version is wider):

[Linked Image]

Mine:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM

You tell 'em.

Nothing says hard core like this pic.....LMAO.

[Linked Image]

Zing laugh laugh

Hell, I didn't even know BSA hunted.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yesterday's:

[Linked Image]

Last year's:

[Linked Image]

The year before:

[Linked Image]

The year before that:

[Linked Image]

Brad-

Well done man - another good one!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Way to go Brad! Another solo .308 Win. bull goes home. I hope you are going to do a little write-up?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

Lighten up Francis. There's lots of times when you don't want your rifle in your hands. Like climbing a steep slope in the dark before shooting hours. Or packing a load of meat out, with your tag punched.

That's when I wish I had that contraption on my pack.. past weekend hauled a 85lb pack full of meat good and it sucked

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smoke, thanks.

I gave Ted's "Sling Stud" a thorough workout. It was great. I like it as well as my own design, and I think his "Franken Stud" (which is wider than the one I used) would be better than both.

When humping a normal 50lb pack on normal terrain, the keeper holds it in place nicely. When negotiating really steep terrain, tucking the sling under the sternum strap in addition to the keeper (sling stud) is the way to go. When the load gets ridiculous and the terrain even worse, that's the ONLY way to go.

Brad what pack do you use??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ted is kind of a somofabitch when it comes to things

He gives them away to friends and family.

Sells them for cost to nice strangers.

Won't sell them for any price to some.

There are only a couple that are on the later list.....sorted out over members telling me "how it is" or "what I am/or not"

I dont have any landowner ML plains mule deer tags to give away....just machining skills

The 5th generation Frankenstud Slingamarig is simple, efficient and weighs very little

420 SS throughout or Aluminum with a SS screw

[Linked Image]

The St. Louis Cardinals have kicked the Cubs azz my entire life.....

I hope they win the world series this year....but savor the flavor

It wont happen again next year

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Damn dude, you need a new model and you could sell the heck out of those things!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn dude, you need a new model and you could sell the heck out of those things!!!

This years budget is pretty low for "models"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It don't matter, you need to fire that guy.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Yes, rifle in hands, bino's in the backpack. Just like all the "old timers" thought us.

I'm betting only a handful of guys will see the humor..You aint one of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Read my previous posts.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by tedthorn

The 5th generation Frankenstud Slingamarig is simple, efficient and weighs very little

[Linked Image]

Could have used one of those this year. Where do I send coin, beer, scotch, or what ever the coin of the realm is?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
even

Read my previous posts.

It was a rhetorical question. Let me ask it a little more directly:

If you've never done it, how do you know that it works well?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Read my previous posts.

I would rather have a colonoscopy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, you are gettin' up there, it's about time, don't you think?

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I've hooked mine over the little add-on hook on my meat hauler Cabela's Alaskan frame and am trying to do the same thing with the new pack from Wilderness Specialties, I'll probably end up making a bump out of electrical or duct tape for third season CO.

Even though I typically have a cow and bull tag and might need the rifle in a hurry, hauling out meat I'll usually use the pack feature that stores the rifle, an add-on scabbard in an Eberlestock X2 daypack for first load and a strap in rig on the Wilderness Specialties pack to keep it under the pack and retained.

This year's sling is a SVL with the handle to save your hand fatigue that adjusts up or down the strap to fit a different type of carry. For me walking a minimum of 3-4 hours hanging on to a sling the handle is nicer to hang on to.... but not as nice as having your hands free and using a walking/shooting stick to keep my tired old body upright.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, you are gettin' up there, it's about time, don't you think?

True... since Coyote Hunter has backed me into the corner, I'd better get it scheduled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S

Old Arcteryx Bora 80

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Old Arcteryx Bora 80

Thanks I'm looking for another pack .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
even

Read my previous posts.

You really do have reading comprehension problems.

Nowhere have I said it works well. What I did say that Velcro has worked well in other applications where I've used it where frequent detachment was required.

As to Brad's comments about the noise, yeah, that could be a deterrent. Some "hook and loop" types are noisier than others and you can often minimize the noise by pulling them apart slowly. Over the years I've walked many more miles than not where a reliable method of keeping my rifle from slipping off my shoulder would have been much appreciated and the potential noise wouldn't have made any difference. Kind of like hunting empty chamber, which I do mostly, or not. There are times when the noise might matter, in which case you might want the rifle in your hands with the chamber loaded, not on your shoulder, and there are times when it wouldn't.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/25/16. Reason: spelnig

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Read my previous posts.

Suit yourself.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought one of these slings last year and have used it religiously since. Grips my shoulder really well and doesn't slip, even over my backpack straps. It solved the exact issue the OP described and was a 15 dollar solution.

http://www.butlercreek.com/products/mountain_slings.html

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ted Thorn and I each made our own versions of a sling keeper unbeknownst to each other. There were a couple threads on these at the backpack hunting forum last winter. Basically, I'd tried the Dark Mountain "Slingsaver", and found it essentially worthless as its wrap-around strap rubbed into my shoulder making it raw... I chucked it in the trash and built my own.

Here's the link for more:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Pack_Rifle_Sling_Keeper...#Post11081646

After shortening the "hook" the Slingsaver does work for some although Brad and Ted's homemade projects look to be much more refined.

A small piece of Gorilla duct tape eliminates the velcro issue on the Slingsaver if you have a chafing problem like Brad. The four guys I hunt with all use Slingsavers for rifles and a crossbow without issue.

Since I started using one of the rubber slings (Slogan Outdoors) I haven't needed any type of sling retainer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My product might be many things

"Home Made" it is not

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

"Home Made" it is not

Sorry, my bad.

I had not gone back to your original thread.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

"Home Made" it is not

If I send appropriate compensation, could it be in the mail headed west?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
even

Read my previous posts.

You really do have reading comprehension problems.

Nowhere have I said it works well. What I did say that Velcro has worked well in other applications where I've used it where frequent detachment was required.

Nice try sport. My reading comprehension is just fine, it's your writing skills that suck. I quoted you accurately; you said nothing about "other applications where you've used it" you just said what's above--"What works well and is cheap and good still works well and is cheap and good."

And once again, you're as FOS as a Christmas turkey.

You must do a lot of backpacking to be able to speak so authoritatively on the subject, and know what will work without trying it, huh?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CH's new favorite comeback is the "reading comprehension" line.

Big words make him feel smart.

In other news, his Velcro method would work fine for road hunting or farming out to cousin-in-laws-daughters-uncle #82

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nice try sport. My reading comprehension is just fine, it's your writing skills that suck. I quoted you accurately; you said nothing about "other applications where you've used it" you just said what's above--"What works well and is cheap and good still works well and is cheap and good."

And once again, you're as FOS as a Christmas turkey.

You must do a lot of backpacking to be able to speak so authoritatively on the subject, and know what will work without trying it, huh?

You quoted me accurately but lost the context because your reading comprehension skills suck big time.

In context and in my post to which Brad responded, I specifically stated " Haven't ever tried it with a rifle but have used a lot of Velcro to hold things in place where frequent detachment is required."

Brad's comment was that I should team up with Rube Goldberg. My comment "What works well and is cheap and good still works well and is cheap and good." was in response to Brad's Rube Goldberg comment and essentially meant that a design should be based on its actual merits.

By the way, Rube Goldberg had an engineering degree from U.C. Berkeley.

As to your question " If you've never done it, how do you know that it works well?", nowhere have I stated I KNOW it will work well. Instead I BELIEVE it will work well, based on experience using Velcro and other hook-and-loop fasteners in a lot of other applications and some common sense, something you appear to lack.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 10/25/16. Reason: spelnig

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Whatever you say CH. Coming from such an experienced backpacker, your word carries some weight.

Was Rube Goldberg a backpack Hunter too?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Ted is kind of a somofabitch when it comes to things

He gives them away to friends and family.

Sells them for cost to nice strangers.

Won't sell them for any price to some.

There are only a couple that are on the later list.....sorted out over members telling me "how it is" or "what I am/or not"

I dont have any landowner ML plains mule deer tags to give away....just machining skills

[Linked Image]

The St. Louis Cardinals have kicked the Cubs azz my entire life.....

I hope they win the world series this year....but savor the flavor

It wont happen again next year

That does look like it would work well. I've been using an "L" shaped bracket off an old Janssen's pack, which is simple and works good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aaron Neilson did me a favor back in 2014 on my first Colorado mule deer

I gave him a SS Frankenstud G4

Pat Sinclair did me a favor on an elk scoring problem in 2015

I gave him a SS Frankenstud G4

They both reported that they liked them

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

By the way, Rube Goldberg had an engineering degree from U.C. Berkeley.

Only you could come away with that as a conclusion...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Goldberg.....wasn't he the guy who pioneered the blaze orange scent-loc yarmulke?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Fallowbuff, I have been using a Sling Saver rifle strap holder for several years now and they work great. I have them on several packs. Here is the link: http://slingsaver.net/index.html

If you are doing a lot of climbing, you may want consider using something to secure the butt end of your rifle as well. I recently started using a Gun Commander setup I've had several backpack rifle holders, including the Kifaru Gun Bearer and the Gun Commander kit has worked best for me. But, the Sling Saver works well for most hunting situations.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Read my previous posts.

LMAO!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 338rcm

Read my previous posts.

LMAO!!!

Have to admit I laughed, too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.