Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike
My son got permission for a patch of woods on the NC/SC border. It's right next to a horse pasture and the only stipulation is he doesn't use a loud rifle. We have a .22 WMR and that is legal in NC. I told him to just use that and aim for high neck shots. Is that ok or is the 22 mag head shots only for deer?
For the sake of discussion and comparison, what other calibers are available for him to use?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
While it can obviously be done, why do it if you can use something more suitable? To my mind using a rimfire on deer is a poacher's trick, or a stunt shooter's trick. The animal deserves more respect than to shoot it with something marginal that may very well lead to a painful lingering death unless bullet placement is gnat's breath precise. Theory is one thing, real world happenings are quite another.

I would whack one or two with a .222 or .223, in a long-ish barrel (not a short loud carbine) and see if the landowner complains about the noise. If he does, then I would think hard about a suppressor, or think hard about finding somewhere else to hunt.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My son got permission for a patch of woods on the NC/SC border. It's right next to a horse pasture and the only stipulation is he doesn't use a loud rifle. We have a .22 WMR and that is legal in NC. I told him to just use that and aim for high neck shots. Is that ok or is the 22 mag head shots only for deer?
For the sake of discussion and comparison, what other calibers are available for him to use?

Rem.660 .243
Marlin 30-30 spikehorn
Winchester 670 30-06
Husqvarna 30-06
870 12 gauge

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bear in mind, this is a place he only plans to hunt a handful of times. We're going on a hunting trip in the middle of NC deer season and won't have a lot of time here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your son is not interested in a bow of any kind, give him the quietest gun ever made as mentioned earlier - the crossbow. Quiet and kills the hell out of deer.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Rem.660 .243
Marlin 30-30 spikehorn
Winchester 670 30-06
Husqvarna 30-06
870 12 gauge
I'd use the 12g. A shotgun doesn't have the crack of a rifle. It's dull thud type sound and it's a sure killer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Up until about 1965 or so, .22 rimfires and shotguns were the only legal firearms for deer hunting in the southern part of Michigan's Lower peninsula. As I recall, about a quarter of the deer hunters in that area used .22 rifles for their deer hunting.

The .22 Magnum was a very coveted item at that time, and a hunter who carried one was considered very well armed.

I spent 25 years as a conservation officer in MI and investigated hundreds of illegally killed deer. A large percentage of them were killed with .22 rimfire rifles and most of those deer were killed with body shots.

I was always impressed with just how well the .22 performed on deer. The .22 Magnum with the right ammo (40 or 50 grain) would work better than many think as a deer rifle.

I would expect a deer shot broadside behind the shoulder with a .22 Magnum to run from 40 to 80 yards and pile up, without leaving a blood trail.

If a quiet rifle is needed for a few hunts in that special area and a .22 Magnum is legal, and the shooter is competent, personally I would feel quite comfortable with the idea of using one.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 10/12/16.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Bear in mind, this is a place he only plans to hunt a handful of times. We're going on a hunting trip in the middle of NC deer season and won't have a lot of time here.
Wildhobbybobby and I gave you your answer. The rest are talking out their azz. {zero experience, lots of theorizing}. If the kid can shoot like you say, give him the .22 Mag. and let him go forth and kill deer.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
Up until about 1965 or so, .22 rimfires and shotguns were the only legal firearms for deer hunting in the southern part of Michigan's Lower peninsula. As I recall, about a quarter of the deer hunters in that area used .22 rifles for their deer hunting.

The .22 Magnum was a very coveted item at that time, and a hunter who carried one was considered very well armed.

I spent 25 years as a conservation officer in MI and investigated hundreds of illegally killed deer. A large percentage of them were killed with .22 rimfire rifles and most of those deer were killed with body shots.

I was always impressed with just how well the .22 performed on deer. The .22 Magnum with the right ammo (40 or 50 grain) would work better than many think as a deer rifle.

I would expect a deer shot broadside behind the shoulder with a .22 Magnum to run from 40 to 80 yards and pile up, without leaving a blood trail.

If a quiet rifle is needed for a few hunts in that special area and a .22 Magnum is legal, and the shooter is competent, personally I would feel quite comfortable with the idea of using one.

Good stuff. Thanks.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
40 grn winchester hp's, and you'll have passthrough's on broadside body shots.

Don't try to recover/follow up for 30-60 minutes. Although he's shooting them with a rifle, follow up should be similar to bowhunting. 60 yards give or take, or into the closest cover, and they lay down.

I'd be more in favor of a head shot than high neck if it were me. If the kid can head shoot a squirrel, then a head shot on a deer is viable.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
While it can obviously be done, why do it if you can use something more suitable? To my mind using a rimfire on deer is a poacher's trick, or a stunt shooter's trick. The animal deserves more respect than to shoot it with something marginal that may very well lead to a painful lingering death unless bullet placement is gnat's breath precise. Theory is one thing, real world happenings are quite another.

I would whack one or two with a .222 or .223, in a long-ish barrel (not a short loud carbine) and see if the landowner complains about the noise. If he does, then I would think hard about a suppressor, or think hard about finding somewhere else to hunt.

Come on guys, there is no worse feeling then losing wounded game. Not a good way to start a young hunter out. I agree with said in quote above. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by davet
40 grn winchester hp's, and you'll have passthrough's on broadside body shots.

Don't try to recover/follow up for 30-60 minutes. Although he's shooting them with a rifle, follow up should be similar to bowhunting. 60 yards give or take, or into the closest cover, and they lay down.

I'd be more in favor of a head shot than high neck if it were me. If the kid can head shoot a squirrel, then a head shot on a deer is viable.
I agree and disagree. Only one of the three I shot broadside through the lungs had an exit. The other two, as said before, were recovered just under the hide on the offside. Likely it depends on the size of deer, range, angle, whether or not ribs are hit etc.. Also, I could see two of the three the whole way until they fell and they were down and out within seconds. It appears to me that they aren't as panicked after being shot with the .22 mag. as they are with larger rounds. Don't know if it's the lesser noise or if they just don't feel as much pain/shock from the lesser impact or a combination of both. I body/lung shot a couple with my 5mm Remington magnum rimfire, which has similar ballistics and it seemed the same. Neither of those went far either. About the same as you'd expect them to go after being shot through the lungs with a .30-30.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Rem.660 .243
Marlin 30-30 spikehorn
Winchester 670 30-06
Husqvarna 30-06
870 12 gauge
I'd use the 12g. A shotgun doesn't have the crack of a rifle. It's dull thud type sound and it's a sure killer.

A 170gr cast over 9-10 gr Unique in the 30-30 shouldn't be too noisy. Probably 1400-1500 fps.

A
A
I shoot next to my wife's horses. One shot is fine - they start a bit and that's it.

Shooting next to others horses is a bit of a lottery. I've always felt there is scope for the Hunter to be blamed for all ills no matter if it's anything to do with him or not.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Between the eyes or in the back of the head I hear the 22 mag is a real lifetaker.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heart shot with the maggie, or a mild load out of the .30/30. Gives a little more room for error, I think, and is always fatal. Personally, I'd want to be very close and only shoot at standing broadside deer. One thing worse than too much noise would be wounded deer staggering around on the property. The crossbow would be a good choice, but requires a significant investment, so may not be practical unless he plans to hunt there often.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's 19 and he's a killer. When he shoots he puts the bullet right where he intends to. He's light years ahead of me at that age.

19? No damned reason to use a .22WMR. Can it work? Yeah, but why take an unnecessary chance?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Someone with a steady hand who takes prudent shots won't ever have a problem filling their freezer with a .22 mag. If your son can visualize the location of the spine within the neck or the brain within the skull, they'll drop like a rock every time.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...-me-down-headshots-deer-are-contemptible

July 4, 2013 - Well, forget the head shot, advises Chad Stewart, a deer biologist for the Indiana Department of Natural Resources who worked for two deer-control operations and sees plenty of hunter-killed deer in his ...

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/15/16.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 88 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.