Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've had personal experience with their crap CS.

BP-B6

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Complete BS. They need to stand behind this.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't think all "plastic" stocks are created equal. I've fired hundreds of rounds from Remington, Ruger and Savage plastic stocked .308s using a bipod and have had zero issues.

Also know a LOT of friends who shoot almost nothing but bipod and have never seen or heard of this happening.

Didn't pull the action out of the stock but from the piece that pulled out it doesn't look like it was well supported in the stock.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RJM
Friend came over today with his SAKO A7 .308. He has been practicing for a last minute elk hunt and had been practicing off a bipod...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When this happened a couple of days ago he called Beretta and spoke to a CS rep... The rep told him that "A7s were not made to shoot off a bipod". When my friend asked if that warning was in the owners manual the rep said "No, but we don't tell you to run over the stock with a car and you wouldn't do that either would you?".

[Linked Image]

My friend was so stunned by this answer he didn't say much except how could he get a replacement stock. Th rep then transferred him to...Brownells...

The rep from Brownells checked and a replacement stock would be $650...for a rifle he bought new for $725. But they had none...and was then told that they had been discontinued by the importer...Beretta.

So my friend has ordered a B&C replacement stock that should be here Thursday...

Needless to say my this will be my friend's last SAKO...

Bob

You do realise that your friend has applied an after-market device that is not warrantied nor allowed for in the design parameter of the original equipment manufacturer.

If you think this is anything like a warranty issue then you may suggest to your friend that he should take his nice new car for a spin across a lake, then see how quick the car manufacturer replaces his non-floating vehicle.

Short answer: suck it up princess and take responsibility for your stuff-ups.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I was strongly considering getting a Tikka for myself. This changes my mind. That ain't customer service.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
I've not heard about their CS being so terrible.......

I will not buy/trade for another Sako/Tikka/Beretta. This really disappoints me. Jerry

Jerry you just posted multiple times in a thread where I (and others) stated multiple times how bad Beretta CS service is.

I also stated that people only hear what they want to hear😉

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As for bipods and stocks, I have some thoughts of my own. Had them last night but did not care to get into it this deeply. But, I am pretty coffeed up right now and have a trigger job to go do before I cut the lawn. Sooooo fuggit.

RJM stated above that he does no believe that all "plastic" stocks are created equal. Well that is the truth. You have some that are glass filled or reinforced and others that are just injection molded. The former being the better of the 2 and better for just about anything except shooting from a bipod. They don't flex like the IM ones do. The IM ones are less prone to breakage. However, less rigid for accurate shooting. I usually have pressure on forend tip with such stocks or full length bed. Especially with thin barrels, they are better this way than floated. Hope I needn't say more.

That said, shooting big boomers off a bench with a stud attached bipod or even worse yet, a monopod, is not a great idea. Really anything that kicks harder than a 243 IMO. I don't do it. Have seen the evidence why. I limit my bipods to field use in such cases. But for rifles that get shot a lot in field, I don't use stud attached bipods. Match rifles for prone shooting, not hunting rifles. I have yet to see a rail mounted bipod, that is glass bedded and screwed/threaded rip free from a stock. Something I cannot say of stud mounted bipods and monopods.

As someone stated, the sling stud really is for holding a sling. Just because bipods were invented later that mount to it, doesn't change this fact. If you want to shoot with a bipod off a bench, I suggest only shooting smaller cartridges, or using a bipod system that does not force the recoil onto the sling stud. There are plenty out there. I suggest not using a monopod ever. Unless you like prying sling studs from your stock and/or ganking up threads. Because eventually, you will do just that.

That said, a front rest and rear bag is usually best for most rifles. For smaller chambered ARs with aluminum forends, I use bipods off bench sometimes. But they are drilled and tapped into aluminum forends and don't kick much at all. And round forends don't sit in rests too well without canting.

JMO......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am thinking having some more of these made up. This was before I painted it black....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART

You do realise that your friend has applied an after-market device that is not warrantied nor allowed for in the design parameter of the original equipment manufacturer.

If you think this is anything like a warranty issue then you may suggest to your friend that he should take his nice new car for a spin across a lake, then see how quick the car manufacturer replaces his non-floating vehicle.

Short answer: suck it up princess and take responsibility for your stuff-ups.

My problem with that is if the relatively gentle recoil of a .308 did that while sitting on a bipod, I certainly wouldn't have much faith in the integrity of the stock/sling stud to hold my rifle on my shoulder using a sling and hold up to any serious josteling. And what if a guy wanted to shoot supported with the sling? That puts a fair bit of pressure on that stud. I'd call it a manufacturer defect for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many sharp, repeated backward jolts does the stud receive while slung on your shoulder or while using as a shooting aid? Not really the same thing IMO.

Bipods buggering up stocks/stud threads or shooting them loose due to recoil is nothing new......

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Even if the stock should have been expected to brake,Beretta CS still sucks.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Jerry you just posted multiple times in a thread where I (and others) stated multiple times how bad Beretta CS service is.

2mg -

Yes CS was mentioned 'some' BUT that thread was about Tikka Owners Experience with their rifles. The focus of that thread was about Tikka rifles' performances. The focus of that thread from the Title and most participants was not about Berett C S.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 10/11/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jerry, I understand what the focus was, and poor CS is part of the Tikka/Beretta experience. Unfortunately.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. At least you have heard it from some others and not just myself, whom you consider a hater grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
How many sharp, repeated backward jolts does the stud receive while slung on your shoulder or while using as a shooting aid? Not really the same thing IMO.

Bipods buggering up stocks/stud threads or shooting them loose due to recoil is nothing new......

When hunting in the mountains, it happens lots. And I certainly wouldn't want the sling stud letting loose on me when I'm hiking the spine of a 3000' cliffy mountain...

shooting the stud loose isn't the same as busting a chunk out of the stock. Either way, it doesn't inspire much confidence in the strength of those stocks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I say shooting the stud loose I mean buggering it up so it no longer tightens properly or blowing the threads out.

I would think the sling stud should work fine as a sling stud. But I understand your concerns......

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have shot thousands of rounds out of rifles on Harris Bipods, thousands. I have never seen a stud fail except the boat-paddle Rugers where the woodscrewd would pull out of the stock in hot weather.

My last few McMillans have an EXTRA stud specifically so that you can use your bipod without removing the sling. I have use bipods with MPI, MicMillan, Ruger, Winchester, Savage, Brown Precision, Bell&Carlson and Ramject or whatever they were called; these are just the synthetic stcoks. I have used them in countless wooden stocks. This is completely unacceptable. The CS comparing it to running the stock over is also unacceptable. The bipod is a common accessory and if they didn't want you to use it they should have stated such. Running it over is obviously abuse.

I guess I am shocked at how many of you defend Beretta in this case. Wow.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have shot thousands of rounds out of rifles on Harris Bipods, thousands. I have never seen a stud fail except the boat-paddle Rugers where the woodscrewd would pull out of the stock in hot weather.

My last few McMillans have an EXTRA stud specifically so that you can use your bipod without removing the sling. I have use bipods with MPI, MicMillan, Ruger, Winchester, Savage, Brown Precision, Bell&Carlson and Ramject or whatever they were called; these are just the synthetic stcoks. I have used them in countless wooden stocks. This is completely unacceptable. The CS comparing it to running the stock over is also unacceptable. The bipod is a common accessory and if they didn't want you to use it they should have stated such. Running it over is obviously abuse.

I guess I am shocked at how many of you defend Beretta in this case. Wow.

The mistake you are making Dennis is that you are thinking Sako makes their rifles to accept a Harris bipod...they make their rifles to shoot with or without a sling, and they supply them without provision for attachment of a bipod. Further, such attachment of an aftermarket device is solely at the risk and discretion of the purchaser.

Now if the company specified that the rifle were to be used with such a device you would have some standing, as it is you have none.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dennis--- I am not defending Beretta in any way. Their CS is horrid. They should send the man a stock IMO, and certainly not charge $650 for one. What shocks me is that guys willingly buy guns from such a company. This is old news.

Many of the guys I know who shoot a ton or competitively will not use bipods that attach to studs. And even though a company may put in an extra stud for a bipod, doesn't mean there is no risk involved in using it. I have a $700 McMilllan that got the stud blown out from trying to use a monopd in a prone match. It seemed a lot easier than toting a rear bag around. I knew better, and it bit me in the a$$. I still have to glass it back in. It didn't take a chunk out of the stock, but the stud is not useable nonetheless. Truth is, I don't need it anyway. I don't need to send it in to fix it, but I would have a lot more confidence in McMillan taking care of me than Beretta, if I did.

Beretta products are not the only ones prone to such breakage. Have seen it on plenty of brands. However, the glass filled or reinforced stocks in question, may be the most susceptible IMO. Or at least the most susceptible to an actual blow out like the OP experienced.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM

When this happened a couple of days ago he called Beretta and spoke to a CS rep... The rep told him that "A7s were not made to shoot off a bipod". When my friend asked if that warning was in the owners manual the rep said "No, but we don't tell you not to run over the stock with a car and you wouldn't do that either would you?".

If a CS rep had said that to me, he'd be in for a string of very bad luck. whistle

I guess I learned something new here - never knew a bipod could cause that much stress on a stock.
OTOH, it's a $30 piece of injection molded plastic.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by RJM

When this happened a couple of days ago he called Beretta and spoke to a CS rep... The rep told him that "A7s were not made to shoot off a bipod". When my friend asked if that warning was in the owners manual the rep said "No, but we don't tell you not to run over the stock with a car and you wouldn't do that either would you?".

If a CS rep had said that to me, he'd be in for a string of very bad luck. whistle

I guess I learned something new here - never knew a bipod could cause that much stress on a stock.
OTOH, it's a $30 piece of injection molded plastic.

You are being much too generous with the 30 dollars. I am done with Beretta and their lousy customer service. The next and last from them will be a super black eagle, Still disgusted that they managed to buy Benelli,Franchi and Sako

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
771 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,052 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.