Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I wonder if a guy could spread a little epoxy in the front end of a tupperware stock to strengthen it a bit for bi-pod shooting.

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Jerry you just posted multiple times in a thread where I (and others) stated multiple times how bad Beretta CS service is.

2mg-

You ? might ? be right ? ? ? grin
I know you were telling us their CS was ....poor.

Tomorrow I will re read that thread to see what I ? might ? have missed or what didn't sink in.
Jerry

2muchgun -- You still with us ?

I just RE read that WHOLE thread, "Tikka Experience".
Guess what ? In ALL 18 PAGES <<<YOU>>> were the ONLY 1 to mention Beretta CS.

AND you didn't mention CS until P 16

This thread is where I've heard the MOST criticism of Beretta CS and it seems justified. I'm really NOT trying to say I told you so. I wanted to double check for myself.

We can still be friends ! smile

Jerry

Good morning Jerry. I just read this and it did not seem right to me. Go back and check page 3 and page 5 grin

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I didn't check any further than that or to see if anyone else chimed in. The guy bought his rifle, so I don't see any need to continue the other thread or
make the man second guess his purchase. I hope it serves him well and that he never has to deal with Beretta...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
I wonder if a guy could spread a little epoxy in the front end of a tupperware stock to strengthen it a bit for bi-pod shooting.

If it were mine I would either go Bell and Carlson or Accraglass Gel........

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I agree. Back in the day when riflemen knew how to use a sling for shooting, rifles commonly had barrel bands to take the pressure of a tight sling.

If the OP's buddy had used the sling stud for its intended purpose, that rifle would have lasted for several generations. Don't blame the manufacturer for a failure of that nature when subjected to the usage it was put to.

Any fool would have examined the structural integrity of his fore arm before bolting something like a bipod to it, right? Right? To not do so, and then blame the stock maker for a failure related to that is ludicrous and narrow minded. On the other hand I agree that their response was uncalled for. They could have at least told him to take a hike in more friendly terms.

A stock should be able to handle a sling used for position shooting as well as a bipod.

They sold him an overpriced POS.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the day when riflemen knew how to use a sling for shooting, rifles commonly had barrel bands to take the pressure of a tight sling

A barrel band has never helped a single rifle on the planet shoot better. I'd not bitch about the lack of one on anything.

I agree that position shooting with sling stresses the stud also. But it is not in the same manner. If shooting from a bench with a bipod, or prone in tough field conditions, you are asking a lot of a tupperware or glass reinforced stock. Period. Get a rest, or a different stock, or or a different bipod system.

That said, Beretta still sucks balls, and yes it is an overpriced POS IMO......

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I feel much the same way, Travis. But, in reality, how many guys use a sling for position shooting anymore? Hardly anybody. Can't really blame a stock maker for ignoring the possibility in this day and age.

Kinda like blaming the car maker for installing a plastic sleek/sexy front end on a car instead of a good old heavy duty solid steel bumper when you bump something and incur $2000 worth of damage- when you bought the car for its looks instead of its utility.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

A barrel band has never helped a single rifle on the planet shoot better. I'd not bitch about the lack of one on anything.

Agreed, they don't, per se. But it does in the respect that they provided a superb foundation for anchoring the front sling swivel, which in itself can make up for a lot of other faults by enabling a steadier hold.

Beretta may suck balls, but you can find someone who thinks the same way about every other gun maker, too. There's an ass for every seat. grin

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/11/16.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree. And I do shoot that way. I can remember my good bud telling me 30 yrs. ago about how his dad showed him how to use the sling for support on offhand shots.

That said, I have never yanked out a sling stud doing it, nor has he. I have seen plenty of damage done by bipods though......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ha ha, I should never have stepped into this conversation because I don't even use slings on my rifles for carrying them. (They ride in my game pocket or backpack to be used if I have my hands full with something else.) And I think bipods are for guys who don't mind the extra weight and nuisance of one hanging on them just for a few seconds of utility every now and then. Of course, I hunt exclusively with rifles made pre-WWII which aren't adaptable to them and which would look stupid with one on them. To each his own - I certainly don't expect others to follow my example as I don't choose to follow theirs. It's all good.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I feel much the same way, Travis. But, in reality, how many guys use a sling for position shooting anymore? Hardly anybody. Can't really blame a stock maker for ignoring the possibility in this day and age.

Kinda like blaming the car maker for installing a plastic sleek/sexy front end on a car instead of a good old heavy duty solid steel bumper when you bump something and incur $2000 worth of damage- when you bought the car for its looks instead of its utility.

The d-bag told him it was designed to be used for a sling and that's how a lot of people use slings.

If Beretta's stance is that their swivel stud is there for the sole purpose of transporting the rifle via sling, then they are raping their customers.

That's ridiculous IMO.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
And to add insult to injury, I have a Tikka CTR with their cheap ass stock on it and it has seen thousands of rounds of .308 and almost all of them have been off a bipod.

If they can make a serviceable stock for that POS, they should certainly be including one with an A-Gay.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have shot thousands of rounds out of rifles on Harris Bipods, thousands. I have never seen a stud fail except the boat-paddle Rugers where the woodscrewd would pull out of the stock in hot weather.

My last few McMillans have an EXTRA stud specifically so that you can use your bipod without removing the sling. I have use bipods with MPI, MicMillan, Ruger, Winchester, Savage, Brown Precision, Bell&Carlson and Ramject or whatever they were called; these are just the synthetic stcoks. I have used them in countless wooden stocks. This is completely unacceptable. The CS comparing it to running the stock over is also unacceptable. The bipod is a common accessory and if they didn't want you to use it they should have stated such. Running it over is obviously abuse.

I guess I am shocked at how many of you defend Beretta in this case. Wow.

The mistake you are making Dennis is that you are thinking Sako makes their rifles to accept a Harris bipod...they make their rifles to shoot with or without a sling, and they supply them without provision for attachment of a bipod. Further, such attachment of an aftermarket device is solely at the risk and discretion of the purchaser.

Now if the company specified that the rifle were to be used with such a device you would have some standing, as it is you have none.

That is retarded. Bipods are commonly put on rifles. It is reasonable for a manufacturer to foresee customers putting them on there and should build rifles accordingly.

This is 100% Sako's fault. Even a $300 RAR will rock a bipod.

That is irrelevant, the company is not making their rifle to accommodate bipods, evidenced by lack of inclusion in the owners manual (the same manual that doesn't include a lengthy expose on how to insert the barrel into your mouth)...and the company is not responsible for what the purchaser does outside the provisions the firearm is speced for.

It is reasonably common for people to suicide in cars...good luck holding the manufacturer responsible for what some dill does with the product, nor is it reasonable to expect firearms manufacturers to be held responsible for people being shot with the firearms those same companies manufacture.

At some point we all have to take responsibility for our actions...and stop looking for a free handout.

Hint:

If you have to use ridiculous analogies like suicide to support your argument, you're probably losing.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
That stock is obviously a POS and should be replaced gratis.

Position shooting with a sling strains the fugk out of the front stud as well. To claim it can handle one and not the other is horse schit.

Travis

I agree. Back in the day when riflemen knew how to use a sling for shooting, rifles commonly had barrel bands to take the pressure of a tight sling.

If the OP's buddy had used the sling stud for its intended purpose, that rifle would have lasted for several generations. Don't blame the manufacturer for a failure of that nature when subjected to the usage it was put to.

Any fool would have examined the structural integrity of his fore arm before bolting something like a bipod to it, right? Right? To not do so, and then blame the stock maker for a failure related to that is ludicrous and narrow minded. On the other hand I agree that their response was uncalled for. They could have at least told him to take a hike in more friendly terms.

Nope, not the purpose of a barrel band. A barrel band mount with a tight sling is asking for a POI change.

The benefits of a barrel band are to allow the use of a shorter forearm and to keep the front sling in the proper location, and for rifles with significant recoil it prevents having a front stud that will smack your hand under recoil.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Hint:

If you have to use ridiculous analogies like suicide to support your argument, you're probably losing.

I do not particularly give a shit.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by deflave
That stock is obviously a POS and should be replaced gratis.

Position shooting with a sling strains the fugk out of the front stud as well. To claim it can handle one and not the other is horse schit.

Travis

Nope, not the purpose of a barrel band. A barrel band mount with a tight sling is asking for a POI change.

The benefits of a barrel band are to allow the use of a shorter forearm and to keep the front sling in the proper location, and for rifles with significant recoil it prevents having a front stud that will smack your hand under recoil.

I believe we're picturing two different things. You, I believe, are referring to a small steel band that wraps around the naked barrel. I, on the other hand, when referring to rifles of yore with stout bands to hold a tight sling am referring to bands that encompass the stock too. Think Winchester M52A, Springfield M1903 NRA Sporter, Savage M19 NRA, etc. A slight case of diverging definitions.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/12/16.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
gnoahhh,

Any fool would have examined the structural integrity of his fore arm before bolting something like a bipod to it, right?

You say. The original poster doesn't seem to be a fool so he wouldn't examine the structural integrity of his fore arm before bolting something like a bipod to it. He is probably exactly like the fast majority of posters on this sight.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Expecting Sako to warranty a 10-year old plastic rifle stock is just laughable.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Jerry,

Saying Beretta customer service can suck is being kind. Sometimes it may not, but you best know someone. Most of the time it will. Many examples exist in the shotgun group. Guessing, but it seems rifles are included.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
To their credit that did do this:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-beretta-moving-20140722-story.html

And to the other side of the MDL. Should make Steelhead happy and I can see why.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought an A7 when they first came out.

It had the lightweight plastic stock.

Anyway, I shot this chit out of it and it took roughly 600-800 rounds from a bipod before I happened to notice that the front stud was starting to crack out.

Mine is a 300 WSM and it was/is a slick rifle.

Replaced the factory with an EDGE and stuck the tupperware in the closet.

Caught the Montana bug and pretty much forgot about anything Sako/Tikka.

(FWIW have a Sako 85 in 300 WSM with well over 1k from a bipod and no issues)

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.