Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've had a 550 Safari (.375 H&H) for a couple of months, about 110 rounds through the barrel. A crack has developed behind the tang, and it started getting worse when I shot so I've got a warranty request into CZ. I hope they'll make things right.

I'm not sure I'll trust another one of their stocks though, at least unless its redesigned. If I were to get a composite stock like a McMillan or Bell and Carlson, does anyone know if one of their stocks made for a Safari American will fit a European style Safari (which the humped buttstock like mine)?

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think the guns are the same, stocks are different.

B&C or McM should work.

I'd Steel Bed the lug if it was mine.

JB cut his hump back down to suit and refinished. If the crack wasn't too bad, one could relieve wood behind the tang, drill holes from inside into the crack, fill with epoxy, clamp closed. I'd steel the lug on that one, as well. Don't think it would crack any more.

DF

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The hogsback stock and the American stock are interchangeable- there is no difference between the metal.

The new stock you get, relieve the tang. There should be a small gap between the tang of the action and the stock so the action doesn't keep ramming the stock like a wedge. Making sure the recoil lug is properly bedded would also be a good safety measure.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the info guys. I got my return label from CZ today, will ship tomorrow and see what happens.

If I get one of the composite stocks I guess it would still be a good idea to bed behind the stock? It looks like the B&Cs don't have cross bolts in front of and behind the magazine. Maybe their strong enough that they don't need them?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'd Steel Bed the lug and make sure there was a slight gap behind the tang. That should to it.

DF

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There should be a secondary lug on the barrel. Usually a steel block that fits in a recess in the stock. Bed it also. You want even contact amongst the two lugs.

Seconds on relieving the tang.

And very tight action screws!

There are lugs and then there are lugs: In progress photo of my 450 Rigby.

[Linked Image]

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice.

DF

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
How many recoil lugs did it have? I remember back in the early 80's Sako started with one recoil lug and had the same problem, then went to two recoil lugs. Fixed it. I went to a McMillan stock, never had a problem.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by McInnis
I've had a 550 Safari (.375 H&H) for a couple of months, about 110 rounds through the barrel. A crack has developed behind the tang, and it started getting worse when I shot so I've got a warranty request into CZ. I hope they'll make things right.

I'm not sure I'll trust another one of their stocks though, at least unless its redesigned. If I were to get a composite stock like a McMillan or Bell and Carlson, does anyone know if one of their stocks made for a Safari American will fit a European style Safari (which the humped buttstock like mine)?

Buy a plastic stock. Oops, I meant fancy plastic otherwise known as polymer or composite stock.

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I want to give everyone an update. I received my rifle back from CZ today, exactly two weeks after I shipped it to them. They not only replaced the stock, but bedded the area behind the tang as some of you suggested I do.

Pretty good customer service I think.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by McInnis
I want to give everyone an update. I received my rifle back from CZ today, exactly two weeks after I shipped it to them. They not only replaced the stock, but bedded the area behind the tang as some of you suggested I do.

Pretty good customer service I think.

Good news.

Be sure you have a small gap behind the tang.

DF

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'll never understand ANYONE shooting a wood stocked rifle without bedding it first, most especially anything that has more recoil than a 222.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'll never understand ANYONE shooting a wood stocked rifle without bedding it first, most especially anything that has more recoil than a 222.

Agree.

That's what happens with my guns.

DF

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Good service from CZ!

CDR3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The only wood stocked rifle I ever bedded was my RSM in 416 Rigby.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are these CZ550 Safari stock cracks more common in the euro/hogback stock or the American Safari stocks?

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Good question, mine's the hogback version.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have an american cz550 in 375h&h. it did not have cross rod in front of the safety. I only shot it a few times. one day i had it leaning against the wall in my house and it fell over cracking the stock behind the reciever basically in the tang area.
cz told me to pound sand.
i had it replaced with a bell and carlson stock and glass bedded.
i had that old wood out the other day looking at a piece that chipped out. I don't know where they got the wood but it was pretty crappy. Looked nice on the outside, but stinko on the inside.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i have an american cz550 in 375h&h. it did not have cross rod in front of the safety. I only shot it a few times. one day i had it leaning against the wall in my house and it fell over cracking the stock behind the reciever basically in the tang area.
cz told me to pound sand.
i had that old wood out the other day looking at a piece that chipped out. I don't know where they got the wood but it was pretty crappy. Looked nice on the outside, but stinko on the inside.

Damn. I bought a 550 in 375HH with the euro stock about 10 years ago. I shot it a bit and decided it should have cross bolts. Sent it to CZ USA and they installed them and bedded it for not much more than the cost of shipping.

They were great to deal with.

Agreed on the wood. Seen a few with seemingly nice figure, but the layout of the grain was random.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

Even though CZ replaced my stock I've been thinking about at Bell & Carlson. Do you like yours? Does it have the aluminum bedding blocks?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 1,936 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,464
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.