Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have a pre '64 standard grade model 70 that I'm trying to mount a scope on and am having trouble, so here I am asking for help. I already had a set of Weaver Tip Off rings so I thought I would go ahead and use them. So I go to the gun store and look at the packages and on the back it says,, Weaver #46 for front mount, model 70 L/A, S/A 54+ 670, 770 & 70 WSSM. No problem fits good. Now the rear #47 for rear base on Winchester 70 long & short actions (with same hole spacing front and rear) 670, 770. The hole spacing on both bridges is real close to .875". So far, so good. Now the problem, when the rings are put on and the scope laid in them the objective bell hits the barrel, so I'm figuring I need higher rings, but I don't know what rings I have. Are they low, medium or high. They must be low, but I'm guessing. The scope doesn't hit by much. Anyone out there running this combination on your 70? What would be the correct rings part number to order from the Midway catalog to get this combination to work? The scope is an older Leupold straight 12X which I believe has a 1 15/16" objective bell. Anyone help me out with this situation? Thanks in advance. RRM

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well as I see it, you are going to have to get higher rings or a smaller diameter objective. Higher rings will raise your head on the stock which may or may not be a problem depending on your stature and neck length. If you are set on using a 12 power, then you need higher rings.

Go to the Leupold or Weaver site and see the difference in ring height and I'd go up two ring heights - maybe "high". Buy either from your favorite retailer and save the receipt.
Good luck

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
First of all, tip offs are for .22 receivers with a milled dovetail. The chart below shows Weaver's size chart for their traditional detachable rings. I would not recommend simply using the "fits objective" column. The best way to go about it is to shim up your scope in order to get an actual measurement of what you need. Once you have the number you can also shop around other ring manufacturers. I'm not a fan of the Weavers. It's not that they don't work, I just don't like how they work (scope rotates during tightening, scratches tube, etc.). I find Burris Zees are a good substitute.

Ring Size Saddle Height Fits Objective

1" LOW 0.089 THRU 38MM
1" MEDIUM 0.169 THRU 40MM
1" HIGH 0.332 THRU 44MM
1" EXTRA HIGH 0.560 THRU 50MM
1" SEE-THRU 0.750 THRU 50MM
30MM LOW 0.288 THRU 33MM
30MM HIGH 0.500 THRU 44MM
1" TIP-OFF 0.25 THRU 36MM
1" TIP-OFF SEE-THRU 0.750 THRU 50MM

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The formatting didn't post properly. Here's the link to their chart:

http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_bases/rings/detachable_top_mount/default.aspx

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rovert
The formatting didn't post properly. Here's the link to their chart:

http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_bases/rings/detachable_top_mount/default.aspx

I like the burris Z's too, but if it came down to those and the Leupold dual dovetails, I'd lean toward the DD's... However if going weaver bases, the burris Zee rings are the way to go.. The OP is probably going to have to go with the highs for that hubble... Just sayin.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I was going to use the Weavers just because I had a set and the bases were cheap to purchase, but as we all know you get what you pay for. So with that being said I'm half tempted to just buy a set of bases and rings from a known manufacturer and be done with it and not have to worry the bases and rings are not doing the job. I've read where S&K makes good stuff and I think the Burris bases and the Z rings maybe an option. I kind of like the looks of a two piece base. Would any one know the catalog number for these bases and the Z rings from the Midway catalog. Also with this combination do I go with the medium height Z rings? Thanks fell'as it's appreciated. RRM

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
From a quality/strength point of view there is nothing wrong with the old Weavers - I have several sets that have been holding their scopes in place for decades. If you are buying new then pick what appeals to you - all the quality brands will do their job well if you install them properly.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
654 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 60 invisible), 3,136 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.