Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I recently sent back my new Winchester model 70 to browning/Winchester because I could not get it to group better than 2" on any ammo that I tried. This is after sending the scope back to be checked and trying different rings. I received the gun back today with a target they had shot at 50 yards with a .3437 group with 150 grain coreloks. Nowhere in the paperwork did it say what had been done if anything. Just had service work and test and shoot no charge. I haven't had a chance to shoot the gun yet. When I called to try and find out if any work had been done on the gun the guy that answered in the service department said that they do not disclose what repairs if any were done on any of the guns they check due to anti gun legislative people getting info to use against them. Just that the gun would be sent back after it checked out to their specs. I don't guess it matters if gun shoots great now but is this common or did I just get a guy who didn't want to talk.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had an FNA3G (which is FN's highest end M70 shiper rifle) that wouldn't shoot better than 4" even though it's gaurenteed to shoot .5MOA, it even came with a test target in the .2s. I tried different ammo, scopes, mounts, etc and it never shot better than 4". I sent it back and they returned it with a test target in the .3s (at 50yds from their Missouri warranty center) and it still wouldn't shoot better than 4". I was able to get ahold of the guy who's signature was on the test target and he looked through his records and said he never shot the gun! I called them back and they said they would replace the gun for me. It took over a year, and getting ahold of and threatening legal action to the VP of Commercial Sales but they finally got me another one and this one shoots great. Needless to say I wasn't overly happy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think there's a disconnect between the phone answer-ers and the repair crew. I called them today to ask why they replaced the stock, bottom metal and mag spring on my M70 that I sent in to replace the bolt (they did that too). It wasn't on the invoice and he had no information that they were replaced or why.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I learned a long time ago to never send a rifle back to the manufacturer if it didn't work right. I was better off to give it to a good gunsmith instead.

This does not apply to higher end smaller shops like Dakota, (or maybe like Cooper?) but it does when dealing with outfits like Kimber, Ruger, Remington etc. Ive had experience with some of them and it was all bad.

Seems they train their people to follow a script in making rifles but when they don't turn out right these people don't have a clue.

I guess it all started when Winchester went down the tubes in 1964 and they started manufacturing mass produced shidt. Maybe before that, who knows.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I learned a long time ago to never send a rifle back to the manufacturer if it didn't work right. I was better off to give it to a good gunsmith instead.

Claaas!!! Reread and remember. If necessary save it in your computer for future reference. You just may see it on the test. 👍

Last edited by battue; 10/08/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
battue: Standard reply from them is ...."It meets our specifications....."

This is the kiss of death. grin

Only Dakota sent something back that was better than what I sent them.They would not tell me what they did but the rifle was a drill afterward.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by brumfield5026
I recently sent back my new Winchester model 70 to browning/Winchester because I could not get it to group better than 2" on any ammo that I tried. This is after sending the scope back to be checked and trying different rings. I received the gun back today with a target they had shot at 50 yards with a .3437 group with 150 grain coreloks. Nowhere in the paperwork did it say what had been done if anything. Just had service work and test and shoot no charge. I haven't had a chance to shoot the gun yet. When I called to try and find out if any work had been done on the gun the guy that answered in the service department said that they do not disclose what repairs if any were done on any of the guns they check due to anti gun legislative people getting info to use against them. Just that the gun would be sent back after it checked out to their specs. I don't guess it matters if gun shoots great now but is this common or did I just get a guy who didn't want to talk.

Why did they shoot it at "50 yards", would be my first question.... The next questions is, do they think you are the problem??? I'm also wondering whey they used "corelokts"???? In their MOA guarantee, it says 1 moa with "premium ammo"... Hmmmm... I never considered the Remington coreloss, premium ammo... crazy

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
This reminds me of my trials in getting Kimber to service and ultimately replace my Solo. An extended episode of incompetence I would prefer not to refresh in my mind.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BobinNH

This does not apply to higher end smaller shops like Dakota, (or maybe like Cooper?) but it does when dealing with outfits like Kimber, Ruger, Remington etc. Ive had experience with some of them and it was all bad.

Seems they train their people to follow a script in making rifles but when they don't turn out right these people don't have a clue.

I guess it all started when Winchester went down the tubes in 1964 and they started manufacturing mass produced shidt. Maybe before that, who knows.

Bob,

I have had quite the opposite experience with Remington, Ruger (rifles and handguns) and Smith & Wesson. Some a while ago, some as recent as a few years ago. Maybe all too
long ago in this threads context.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ed I guess we get the luck of the draw. smile

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Maybe it's in their best interest if they don't say anything at all. For instance, would you feel better if they come out and say you shoot like chit and there's nothing wrong with said rifle??? Maybe they got your rife, found the scope mounts to be loose and the service guy said. "Fu ck, not another one of these idiots". They are in the business to sell rifles, not to pizz anyone off.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
The gun shoots about the same as when I sent it in. They told me their guarantee was an inch and half at hundred yards. Every cheap savage I've had shoots one inch or better. I bought the super grade mostly for the look but still for 1100 dollars it should dang shoot an inch. An inch shouldn't be that hard to get today. And yes I would much rather them tell me I just plain old suck than give me no info. I don't get butt hurt like most of the world today. But I guess me shooting all my other rifles at an inch I wouldn't think it would be me but hey maybe it is. You don't get to send in your scope or rings they use all of their stuff. I will not buy another Winchester or browning though. Just me I'm sure some love them and have had great experiences.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I recently sent back my new Winchester model 70 to browning/Winchester because I could not get it to group better than 2" on any ammo that I tried. This is after sending the scope back to be checked and trying different rings. I received the gun back today with a target they had shot at 50 yards with a .3437 group with 150 grain coreloks.

I do find it interesting that Winchester used other than their own branded ammo to check specs.

Addition: Thoughts again? Was this rifle a SG with the MOA trigger, yet they tell you specs are 1.5?

Last edited by battue; 10/11/16.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Not sure what sg stands for unless you mean super grade but yes it does have the moa trigger. Bought gun new last year. I told rep what I had and gave him serial number and he said that gun is only guarantee to shoot 1.5 moa

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
SG-Super Grade..

And would it be the rifle you have in the classifieds? I hope not, because a grand total of around 30 shots isn't giving a rifle much of a chance to come around.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 28 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.