Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Are Murkowski and Sullivan endorsing Trump or did the locker room talk drive them away?

Democrats seemed shocked at Trump's talk of female parts but if you're holding daily locker-room discussions with Barney Frank WTH?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Murki and Sullivan both dumped on Trump and both ceded their seats in the AK R party. Both say they will back the VP candidate.

I wrote to Sullivan to tell him he will never get another vote from me and he had a ridiculous response... screw him!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.adn.com/politics/2016/10/11/alaska-republican-party-is-sticking-with-donald-trump/

Politics
Alaska Republican Party is sticking with Donald Trump
Author: Erica Martinson, Nathaniel Herz Updated: 22 hours ago Published 1 day ago

Donald Trump campaign signs dot the northbound shoulder along Minnesota Drive between Raspberry Road and International Airport Road on Tuesday, Oct. 11, 2016. (Bill Roth / Alaska Dispatch News)

The Alaska Republican Party is sticking with its presidential candidate, despite the un-endorsements of some of the party's top members.

But moves by Alaska's two Republican senators and others to denounce presidential nominee Donald Trump drove another wedge into a divide in the state party infrastructure. This weekend, Sens. Dan Sullivan and Lisa Murkowski had to resign from their seats on the Alaska Republican Party's Central Committee because of their vocal opposition to Trump — an unprecedented step.

Party rules dictate that members of its governing body — the Central Committee — can't come out in opposition to a party nominee. They can remain neutral, but outright opposition requires that they step down, according to party officials.

On Saturday, both Sullivan and Murkowski joined a list of Republican members of Congress in calling for Trump to step down after the release of a 2005 video wherein Trump made vulgar remarks about his own sexual aggression toward women.

[Alaska Sens. Sullivan and Murkowski call on Donald Trump to drop out of presidential race]

But the national and state party organizations are sticking with their support for Trump, even if many of their members are not.

The official word came down from the Republican National Committee Monday afternoon in a closed call between party members and RNC Chairman Reince Priebus.

Alaska Republican Party Chairman Tuckerman Babcock was on that call.

"That message was clear, and now I understand exactly where the national party is tonight, which is very similar to where I would want to take the state party," Babcock said.

Priebus told those on the call that anything anyone had heard about "stopping work or looking for other candidates was a bunch of nonsense," Babcock said. Over the weekend, news reports had emerged that the RNC had issued a stop-work order on printing Trump "Victory" campaign literature. But that was at the order of the Trump campaign, which was considering a change in messaging, Babcock said.

And "while there may be a way to replace the nominee, that is not something we are discussing or even considering," Babcock relayed, noting that Trump had been elected to be the party nominee by voters, not chosen by the party.

In Alaska, many Republicans are saying that "Hillary Clinton must be stopped," Babcock said.

[New poll shows Trump leading in the presidential race in Alaska]

Opinions are mixed about Sullivan and Murkowski's decision to call for Trump to drop out of the race, Babcock said. That comes with having a "wild and woolly independent party," he said.

"I resolve to encourage everyone to speak their mind and share their opinions," Babcock said. He'd added that he would "prefer they all do in the primary," but everyone was welcome to continue if they liked.

And that includes Alaska's two senators.

"I only want to support the election of both Lisa Murkowski and Donald Trump, and as a party chairman, I wish that they were all on the same page but I don't demand that of candidates," he said. "They have their own priorities and I intend to help them both win."

But they can't remain a part of the party's governing body, at least until after the election, Babcock said. Murkowski and Sullivan each called him over the weekend and "let me know that they were resigning from the state central committee and understood that it was the intent of the rules," Babcock said.

It doesn't effectively change anything for the moment, since no meetings are scheduled for the central committee before the election, Babcock said.

The "only significant thing" about the election-season defections "is that that's never happened before," Babcock said.

"Everyone who resigned will be welcome back after the election," he said. "We're not going to hold any grudges" against members who decided they couldn't support a nominee.

And even though Murkowski said she won't vote for the Republican presidential nominee, the Alaska Republican Party will support her re-election campaign.

[Trump says 'shackles' are off as he steps up attacks on fleeing Republicans]

The party doesn't control the campaigns, Babcock said. That "leaves me in the position of supporting both Sen. Murkowski for re-election and for the election of Donald Trump." And that's true, "whether they get along or not," he said.

Sullivan and Murkowski aren't the first Alaska Republicans to step down from the once-85-member Alaska GOP leadership committee during this election season.

When conservative Joe Miller announced he was taking over the Libertarian slot to challenge Murkowski on the ticket, seven district-level officials resigned to support his campaign, and one was removed.

Some "send a big speech or a letter," like David Bronson of Anchorage, Babcock said. Others took a less formal route. North Pole district chair Dave Eichler sent Babcock a text that said, "sending Miller money, bye," Babcock said.

Sometimes it's all over in a phone call.

About seven weeks ago, Babcock was sitting in the car at one of his kid's soccer games and heard Samuel Moore, then a member of the central committee, guest-hosting the Dave Stieren talk radio show on KFQD. Babcock "heard him announce he was endorsing Gary Johnson" and sending the Libertarian presidential candidate a donation. "And I said, 'OK, that's pretty clear.' "

"He said, 'Oh, you got me,' " when Babcock gave him a call soon after, he said. "I said, 'Well, the right thing for you to do is resign.' " And "he said, 'No problem. I resign.' "

On Sunday, Moore mentioned his ouster from the committee in a Facebook post.

"I'm proud of that. Glad some folks have finally caught up," he wrote.

As of Monday, Babcock said he had not heard from any district officers who planned to resign over Trump.

Reaction to Sullivan and Murkowski's stand on Trump has been mixed. State House Majority Leader and Anchorage Republican Rep. Charisse Millett, who's up for re-election, announced Saturday that she isn't supporting Trump, either.

But most other GOP legislative candidates have met Trump's latest controversy with silence.

The candidate's defiant rhetoric puts "Republican political figures in a pretty difficult box," said Bill Evans, a Republican on the Anchorage Assembly who's been one of the few party members in Alaska to speak up against its presidential nominee.

"Normally, you want to support your party. And there are a lot of people that will support Trump. But those that don't, that have concerns about him, whether personally or substantively, probably just prefer to keep those as quiet as possible as long as possible," Evans said. "Because they're not sure what the blowback effect on them, personally, would be."

Bernadette Wilson, a conservative political consultant working with Republican legislative candidates, said she doesn't expect party members' association with Trump to be a problem at the state level.

The denouncement of Trump by Alaska's two Republican U.S. senators highlights how perilous presidential politics can be for GOP candidates.

Babcock posted Sullivan's and Murkowski's statements on the Alaska GOP Facebook page Saturday, and commenters met the news with outrage and pledges to vote for Murkowski's Libertarian challenger, Joe Miller, in November.

"Neither of these two candidates Lisa Murkowski or Senator Dan Sullivan will ever get my vote again. If they can't stand behind our GOP nominee to prevent Hillary Clinton from taking the White House than they don't stand with republican voters. I urge all republicans in protesting with future votes against these two political elites," one commenter wrote.

Only a few people were in favor of the move, thanking the senators for taking a stand.

The National Federation of Republican Women released a statement saying that it would "stand behind the Republican ticket," including Donald Trump.

The party's Alaska spokeswoman, Suzanne Downing, who runs a non-affiliated GOP party newsletter, published a reader comment on Monday.

"Those Republicans who turn tail and run to the back in fright over Trump's locker room talk are more shameful than anything Trump could say," the Alaska Trump supporter wrote. "Please, Republicans, get back on track and support the strongest, most determined candidate"

The takeaway from the weekend strife, Downing wrote, is this: "Bedwetters who prematurely called the election for Hillary just had their nether regions handed to them. It's not over. The Republican base is still on board."

Trump took his own stand and denounced Republicans opposing his campaign in a flurry of tweets Tuesday.

"Disloyal R's are far more difficult than Crooked Hillary. They come at you from all sides. They don't know how to win — I will teach them!," the candidate wrote.

But, he said, "It is so nice that the shackles have been taken off me and I can now fight for America the way I want to."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sullivan's response to my letter telling him he will not get another vote from me, ever:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the upcoming Presidential election. I appreciate your thoughts on this issue and welcome the opportunity to respond.

We are so blessed to live in a nation where citizens have the opportunity to elect their leaders. Democracy vests the real power in the hands of individual citizens and ensures that elected officials are held accountable to the general public. However, due to you contacting me in my official capacity, Senate ethics rules prohibit me from discussing the upcoming election and specific candidates. My statements are available online.

Thank you again for reaching out to me. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me or my staff. My office can be reached at 202-224-3004, or online at www.sullivan.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Dan Sullivan
United States Senator

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Murki and Sullivan both dumped on Trump and both ceded their seats in the AK R party. Both say they will back the VP candidate.

I wrote to Sullivan to tell him he will never get another vote from me and he had a ridiculous response... screw him!

I was not going to vote for Lisa simply because she is perhaps the most liberal Republican in Congress, and had high hopes for Sullivan. But Sullivan won't get my vote now. I will vote for Miller, regardless if he loses or not.

This from an independent AK voter, and veteran.

Last edited by Ray; 10/12/16.
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wrote Sullivan an email told him he was part of the problem and I should of voted for Joe miller instead of him..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
I wrote Sullivan an email told him he was part of the problem and I should of voted for Joe miller instead of him..

But Miller didn't run against Sullivan.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It gets deeper for Liiisa...

Kelly Ayotte (R., N.H.) says she “cannot support” and “will not vote for” Trump. Susan Collins (R., Maine) says she “could not support” Trump. Jeff Flake (R., Ariz.) says Trump “needs to withdraw from the race.” Mark Kirk (R., Ill.) says Trump “should drop out.” John McCain (R., Ariz.) says he “will not vote for” Trump (but will instead “write in the name of some good” Republican, who in McCain’s imagination is running for president). And Lisa Murkowski (R., Alaska) says she “cannot and will not support” Trump, who has “has forfeited the right to be our party’s nominee.” All six voted for the Gang of Eight bill.

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/most-gop-senators-defecting-from-trump-backed-amnesty-push/

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by 79S

During the primaries he did

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Yeah, that fahqer can go back to his $1M Maryland shcitthole house.

You can bet that both would probably vote for a Hitlery SCROTUS nominee, when the real battle is making sure she's never in a position to ever nominate one.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They sent me the same generic email they sent Sitka deer I told them I would not vote for Sullivan when it came time for reelection. Told them at least mark begich would call you and talk to you about the issues.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I think they take more notice of your lost vote when you tell them you will financially support and campaign for their opposition. Bastids are naturally paranoid.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 79S

Don't let facts get in the way of a good lie or a good story Bear! No one who wants to be in the political world for the next 10+ years will be standing anywhere near Mr. Trump this fall!

Stand next to a Turd and guess what? You start to smell like a Turd!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
Originally Posted by 79S

Don't let facts get in the way of a good lie or a good story Bear! No one who wants to be in the political world for the next 10+ years will be standing anywhere near Mr. Trump this fall!

All of Gulkana is painfully aware of that idiom.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Originally Posted by 79S

All of Gulkana is painfully aware of that idiom.

Poor Walt he can't catch no break lol...

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
In case you didn't know Gulkana is a native village

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No way!! It is??

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 79S

No way!! It is??
I did not want you to feel 100% stupid...I am also guessing that you don't get the link between your brain dead comment and the Native Village either?

PS...Colorado? You must be from either Parker or Limon?

Last edited by northwestalaska; 10/17/16.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

No way!! It is??
I did not want you to feel 100% stupid...I am also guessing that you don't get the link between your brain dead comment and the Native Village either?

PS...Colorado? You must be from either Parker or Limon?

Lol wrong fool... I do know you live in copper center and you are known as the dumb ass liberal teacher not my words but friends I know that live in Tok and Glennallen.. oh Walter you poor sob... when's the last time you paid property taxes to help with the school budget?? Oh wait you never have you suck off the states tit to pay your wages

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Walt is one of the weirdest dudes I've ever met.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.