Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I never considered it before, I always thought it was an opportunity, if I saw one thing.

Any bear hunters here ?

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wearing bear bells, like the leaf lickers hiking the trails around here seems to work pretty well. Maybe spray a little bear spray down wind, that should draw them in. Sorry for the sarcasm. Grizzlys bring that out in a person.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It depends on what kind of bear, and where you are hunting. Here in Michigan I hunt them from a stick blind over bait with a rifle. It is more work than it sounds. I start baiting about 45 days before I start hunting, and the actual hunting usually takes a week or less if the weather co-operates.

Other place need or require some other method.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Long time ago at Bonito Lake out of Ruidoso, NM we went bear hunting. Spent the night at the lake campground in our tent, chasing the bears off the trash cans. At the crack of a cold dawn, I pulled my Marlin 30-30 out of its case and was pleased to note that the old Tasco 4x scope was only lightly fogged up. I had it mounted on tip off bases so I knew my iron sights were available instantly if needed. I had my best 175 gr. Silvertip bullet reloads in the gun, I was ready! I started the hunt over by the trash cans looking for tracks. I picked the biggest set and proceeded to follow them out of the campground into a narrow heavily timber canyon. The bear tracks were very visible in the wide hiking trail but soon branched off into a side canyon following a game trail. Lots of tall pines were shadowing the trail and lots of pine needles were making it hard to see the tracks, but I pressed on slowly, watching for movement, listening for rocks rolling. Then there was the bear. A nice dark cinnamon colored one and it was looking up hill away from me, standing stock still. I slowly raised my rile and centered the crosshairs best I could through the foggy scope right in the heart lung area. Thoughts of where I would run or what I would do if I wounded him and he charged me, were coursing through my head. I shot and nothing! Bear didn't move or even look in my direction. I fired again and nothing! I tipped the scope to the side and started advancing on the bear. Got halfway there before I realized it was a deadfall tree.

Ive hunted bear many times since over bait, from Louisana swamps to Alaska, but none ever got my heart pumping like that first unsuccessful bear hunt at age 16.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Good one Allen!!

Here's how I do it--find bear track--fresher the better--turn strike dog loose--when he opens turn all the dogs loose--go to treed bear and shoot him out--easy, peasy.

Sometimes gettin to the tree can be a bit of an adventure.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Youper
It depends on what kind of bear, and where you are hunting. Here in Michigan I hunt them from a stick blind over bait with a rifle. It is more work than it sounds. I start baiting about 45 days before I start hunting, and the actual hunting usually takes a week or less if the weather co-operates.

Other place need or require some other method.
Idaho prohibits setting bait before the start of the season with the exception of a few units that allow bait to be set a week before. For most people, topping up bait is an expensive, time consuming job because of travel to bear areas. Unless you know someone locally to do it for you or hire a guide, it's prohibitive.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had 3 bear baits 7 hours away from home this fall and it started to suck ass. Shot the first decent one on the first night so I didn't have to go back.

It's really more of a chore than a hunt. It's enjoyable to a point though.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
I never considered it before, I always thought it was an opportunity, if I saw one thing.

Any bear hunters here ?

Rule number one:

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sit in my truck:

[Linked Image]

Or setup on my compost:

[Linked Image]

Or bait them in with my garbage:

[Linked Image]

Sometimes we use electroshock treatment:

[Linked Image]

Mostly we spot and stalk on grass flats and slide areas in the spring.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The best way to see a bear is to NOT have a bear license in your hand........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glass, then glass some more, then look a little bit, then glass, then get a shot off in roughly 5 seconds.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Knock down a deer or elk and leave the carcass/gutpile. Check it from downwind early and late.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really depends how you'd prefer to hunt them - spot/stalk, over bait or with dogs.

If you've never hunted them, I might recommend the bait thing in one of the Canadian provinces. You'll get to look at some bears up-close-and-personal with a front row seat. And with the bait scenario, bears are easily one of the most entertaining animals to observe.

Hunting them with dogs definitely adds a bit of excitement to the mix - just be prepared to bust whatever brush or wade whatever swamp to get to the spot where they've tree'd the damn thing. grin I've never hunted them this way but I've gone along in the preseason for dog training and it's definitely interesting.

If you're in super-predator mode and don't want to stare at a bait pile, the spot/stalk cannot be beat. Depending on locale, this is likely the hardest way (of the three) to take a bear but IMO, by far the most rewarding.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter
I had 3 bear baits 7 hours away from home this fall and it started to suck ass. Shot the first decent one on the first night so I didn't have to go back.

Amen. And then the acorns begin to drop and the berries ripen just in time for the opener. laugh
BTDT - boxes of tshirts. *GRINS*

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
tkinak: what the heck did that bear bite onto?

in PA the groups I hunt bears with do it by driving, some people sit but most productive way is a group of guys & gals we set out watchers and then push through a section of woods, corn fields, mountain, briars, ect...

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by wisturkeyhunter

Amen. And then the acorns begin to drop and the berries ripen just in time for the opener. laugh
BTDT - boxes of tshirts. *GRINS*

And if you're hunting in Wi the baiting regs are a complete joke unless you live local enough to bait just about every day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kodiak bear hunting involves sitting on a rock for a long time watching over many square miles for many long, long hours. Once a bear is patterned you go to where you expect him to move and whack him...

Or you sit on a salmon stream in the fall and wait for a good bear to come by at very close range... it can be a little nervewracking when there are lots of bears around...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love hunting bears. Shooting them not so much, but hunting them yes!

Here, it's hot and dry all summer so early in the fall season watching water and food sources is the very best. Bears want water every day when it's hot out, and they like to lay in water to cool off. Think small pool. I've hunted hot dry canyons that have 4' round pools in the bottom scattered around and they're bear magnets about 5 in the afternoon.

When acorns are ripe, the bears will be in them. Here's a typical Oregon bear hunt.

Drive dirt two tracks looking for bear crossings. They leave slide marks and/or big deep divets in the banks as they emerge from their bedding above the roads to go to water in the gullys. They like to bed within 150-200 yards above their water source. First thing they do is get out of bed in the afternoon and go to water about 5 pm. They like to bed on hillsides above water by hollowing out an old rotten log for a soft bed or above a large tree, wherever they can carve out a small round hollow, often in thick brush. They poop right off the edge of their bed, so you can usually identify a bears bed by this trait. Otherwise, look for a rub tree with hair on it. That tells you what color bear to expect. Bears also break the tops out of 8-12' Douglas fir trees marking that as their territory. You can often find rub trees with hair on them indicating a bear in the area.

Anyway, after watering they wander to the food source where they feed all night until the sun finds them about 9 in the morning, when they head back to timber to bed for the day. If it's hot, they may get up midday and cool off in the water about noon-1, then back to bed until afternoon. It's actually easier to hunt them in the heat due to their need for a daily water source. Be careful cooling that meat out asap if you shoot one in the heat!

Here, food consists of vegetation in early spring, deer fawns and elk calves in season, ground squirrels anytime, lots of big black ants in old rotten logs all summer. By fall, they turn to ripening berries, seeds of any kind, and acorns. The best meat is acorn fed bears, IMO. Here we have Canyon live oak in bush form, and oak trees. Bear Magnets.

They feed several hours a day during daylight hours and as such a hunter can enjoy a much longer productive hunting day vs.deer or elk. We cannot hunt with dogs or bait in Oregon, which is fine with me. Late season bears here become more difficult to hunt as concentrations of food wane, they scatter to all parts looking for pockets of missed berries or just return to more traditional ranges before denning. Hunting the first snow in the right canyons can produce some exciting hunts as bears wander looking for a place to den up, but that's more a specialty hunt for a few days than a staple you can count on.

There are many more tricks but the biggest thing you want to remember is that bears are all about food. If you look for anything that produces large amounts of seeds or protein, bears probably eat it! The biggest bears require seclusion to grow to maturity, while younger bears will live anywhere there's food. Of course, you sometimes hear about the huge bear that was shot breaking into someone's garage to get their dogfood, but I look for the biggest bears where they will be left alone, someplace that has year round water and potential food sources all within a given canyon system, or two. Often a mountain will have one food supply, and a canyon another, so look for a mountain that holds a bear all summer, preferably one with some springs for water, with a canyon that produces a different food supply right next to it.

Once you find sign, bears are easy to pattern, as long as the food supply remains. They are so predictable, they'll walk in the same footprints, every day, within minutes of the same time, while pursuing their favorite food or water source. It's fun getting to know an individual bear and what he's doing. You can hunt a bear for years getting to know him. After all that time, it becomes less fun to shoot, more fun to hunt. I even name some of my bears, never shooting them.

Anyhow, that's about how it goes here.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As others said. Basically 4 ways

1. No tag but you see them all over, eventually hitting one with your truck as they run across the road - not recommended.

2. Bait - labor intensive and far from a sure thing. As SKANE said - a bumper crop of wild food will cause even the best baits to go cold. Once hunted Ontario where this happened. Blueberries so thick it looked like shag carpeting on the meadows. Hunted sun up/down for 7 days and never saw fur.

3. Dogs - never did but want to. Sounds like a blast.

4. Spot and Stalk - where I am, just about impossible. Not enough open country and the bear density is so low - would be more like "lucky chance I saw one".

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Don't plan to hunt for acorn eating bears in Idaho except in yards and parks. Oaks aren't native here. This is softwood country.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 51 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,234
Posts18,466,711
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.