Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

So as many of you know this past weekend was the opener for antelope rifle season in Montana. I told my partner before I left to come out to his place to hunt that I was more interested in coyote hunting than antelope hunting. I made it clear that I would basically shoot the first buck that was 12" or better just to fill the freezer, and I would not be holding out for a trophy. The plan was to get the antelope out of the way and in the freezer, so we could do what we both enjoy more, and hunt coyotes.

I arrived about midday on Friday. We spent our time making coyote stands and doing a little scouting for antelope. We saw plenty of antelope including a pretty decent buck or two. What we really enjoyed though was some success on coyotes. While there are only 3 in this photo we killed two other coyotes that day that dove into deep thorn brush ravines. Neither of us felt motivated enough to dive in after them. If it were a tournament or the fur was worth a lot of money we may have had a different attitude, but it was neither so those coyotes were left to their brushy thorn covered graves. I was also able to let the air out of a large badger as weel that was between 350-360 yards. I hit him dead center and he was tore up really bad. Unfortunately he had just enough energy to crawl ten feet and go down his hole making him impossible to reach. That really bummed me out as I really, really wanted that bugger.
[Linked Image]

Later that evening just before dark we watched a herd of antelope bed down for the night that had a pretty decent 15" buck. The next morning we were right there at first light. It took a while to locate the herd as they had moved quite a ways. Unfortunately they had moved to a very difficult area for a stalk and it would be even more difficult to retrieve if I did kill it. We decided to move on and find another buck, knowing that we could always come back and check on these antelope later. Shortly after leaving we saw a very small buck and a doe. While I was trophy hunting I couldn't bring myself to shooting a 8" buck. Less than 10 minutes later we happened upon a large herd of antelope and I picked the biggest one out of the 3 bucks in the herd, and killed it with my 6.5 Creedmoor. By 8:15am the buck was loaded. I was happy camper to have that part of the hunt out of the way. Granted he is one of the smallest bucks I've ever shot, but he fit the bill perfectly for table fare and filling freezer space. I look forward to enjoying this buck on the dinner table. smile
[Linked Image]
The next day we just coyote hunted and had a great time. Of all the coyotes we called in only two got away. They both back doored us and caught us off guard. Although not everything is pictured we ended the hunt with 10 coyotes shot, 1 badger shot, and a perfect antelope buck. More important than calling coyotes, hunting antelope, or spending time outdoors, the time spent with a good friend and his family topped everything. I've been very blessed to know some outstanding people in my life Cory and his family are right at the top of that list!

Three more coyotes from opening day. One new thing I got to try out on this hunt was a binocular case made by Alaska Guide Creations. I just have to say the case kicks butt! It's built to last, has lots of room, and is one about the only cases I've seen big enough for both my binoculars and G7 rangefinder. My search for a good harness bino case is plumb over!!!
[Linked Image]

Is it Friday yet?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That looks like a blast. Good times.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Sounds like a perfect hunt!! Congrats....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congratulations on all the kills! What bullet and distance on the antelope with the Creedmoor?

Public landowner...
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Cinch, around 200 yards with a 140 AMax.

Is it Friday yet?
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Big Sky
Cinch, around 200 yards with a 140 AMax.

Nice...I run those in my 260s with great success...

Public landowner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice work.

One trick to getting critters out of holes is to carry a 6 or so foot piece of barb wire, with the last 2 feet bent into a "s" shape. Stick the straight end into the hole and twist the "S" end like a hand drill.

The barbs will get caught up in the fur and you can pull him right out. I've done this several times for coyotes, fox and badger. Works like a charm...assuming it really is dead.

Don't ask!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice !!! Coyotes are our best game, no tags, no season, few landowner problems.. Love to shoot em, but would never want them gone..

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I was also able to let the air out of a large badger as weel that was between 350-360 yards. I hit him dead center and he was tore up really bad.
If you ever get a good badger hide, I once saw one stretched in a willow hoop on a wall. It makes a beautiful wall hanging. It's very colorful. It looked kind of like this:

[Linked Image]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Rockchuck, I kinda like that. Thanks for posting it.

Is it Friday yet?
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool beans Troy!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I was also able to let the air out of a large badger as weel that was between 350-360 yards. I hit him dead center and he was tore up really bad.
If you ever get a good badger hide, I once saw one stretched in a willow hoop on a wall. It makes a beautiful wall hanging. It's very colorful. It looked kind of like this:

[Linked Image]

That's awesome. I did that same thing but with a beaver for my brother. never thought about doing it with a badger.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice Troy !!

Thanks for message / info on pack.

Know when Tims article will be out ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which model is the bino pack?

Black Cows Matter!
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Classic model.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on a fine hunt.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

οΏ½If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.οΏ½ Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great read of a fine hunt!

I like your style. You know what YOU like to do.

The last time I backpacked solo for a multiday hunt above timberline, on day four or five I sat exhausted on a ridge and realized that it was not fun anymore with my aging bod. I asked myself what I really would enjoy and the answer was to hike back down in the valley and call predators. I camped by my vehicle and had a ball calling stuff for the last four days.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Great read of a fine hunt!

I like your style. You know what YOU like to do.

The last time I backpacked solo for a multiday hunt above timberline, on day four or five I sat exhausted on a ridge and realized that it was not fun anymore with my aging bod. I asked myself what I really would enjoy and the answer was to hike back down in the valley and call predators. I camped by my vehicle and had a ball calling stuff for the last four days.

My carcass is getting some years on it too and I can't backpack elk quarters like I used to. My solution was pack llamas. I love getting back in for hunting and fishing and they can carry everything but me.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Very cool adventure great pics.

I agree the time spent w/ friends can be the best aspect of a hunt!

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya. I've hunted hard for 4 decades from Alaska to Africa and from Texas to Northern Canada, and all over the West. I don't say this to brag but just to establish I've been at this hunting thing for a while. My house and garage, like many of you, is filled with horns, antlers, hides, fur and fangs. These days as I'm in the first quarter of my 5th decade of hunting I find I now enjoy predator hunting the most of all when I hunt. Who I hunt with these days is also more important to me than what I kill. Even stranger still, to me anyway, is that I have returned to my boyhood addiction of fishing. Once I was old enough for that first hunting license fishing was just something I did to take up time between hunting seasons. These days I actually prefer to fish than chase big game critters all over the landscape. I never thought I'd say that, but it's true and I'm quite content with the change. This getting older business isn't terrible but it does come with some changes and adjustments for sure.

Is it Friday yet?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 51 invisible), 3,150 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.