Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
ronc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
All I've ever used is gas checked Cast Performance. Do y'all have leading problems with non gas check bullets? Was looking to try some of these...

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=115&category=5&secondary=14&keywords=

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never had any problems with leading with any MBC bullets and I've used them extensively. There are several thousand sitting in my reloading area right now. I don't know if I have any of those, but I run the 9mm "small ball" at 1100 fps and above and haven't had leading.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ronc
All I've ever used is gas checked Cast Performance. Do y'all have leading problems with non gas check bullets? Was looking to try some of these...

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=115&category=5&secondary=14&keywords=

If you're concerned, call them up and speak with them about it. They are experts and you'll get somebody who knows or they will hook you up with somebody who does.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have been using Dardas for several years now.I have use Missouri in the past,but Dardas is harder and they can give you a little leeway as to what diameter you want the bullets to be sized to.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Everything has everything to do with everything. If your throats are 452 or less, you're good.

You can shoot these too and leave your worries behind.

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=210&category=20&secondary=14&keywords=

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ronc

I have loaded a couple thousand of MO Bullet's Cowboy # 1 and 9 in several 45 Colt revolvers with no real leading issues. I have not used the one you mention or much of anything over a Brinell of 11 or 12. With revolvers in general the diameter and consistency of the cylinder throats, bore and condition of the forcing cone and the absence of thread choke are all critical, as well as matching your bullet diameter to them all. Ruger screwed that pooch so long and hard it looks like a wooly culvert.

In a perfect world you could buy any off-the-shelf 45 revolver and ut would shoot great with any cast bullet from 452 to 454 with essentially no leading. I recently lucked into a New Vaquero like that and they can bury me with that one.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sarge, just curious. What's your favorite .45 Colt cast bullet commercially available?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've been using the Hi-Tek coated version of the same bullet from Missouri Bullet Co. No leading at all.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Which is what I posted.

I'd also have no need for an 18BHN bullet.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Sarge, just curious. What's your favorite .45 Colt cast bullet commercially available?

The Lee 452-255-RF from Maplewood Bullets.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/maplewood-bullets-lee-452-255-rf-for-the-45-colt/

Two lube grooves, does not lead, has a good sized meplat and it's plenty accurate. You can practically throw them into the charge holes as the cylinder rotates by. Scooted to 950 fps it will take anything around here. At $86 per 500 delivered, it isn't the cheapest bullet out there but I remain convinced it's perhaps the best all around bullet for the 45 Colt. I have them sized .454 simply because I've never had an inaccurate 45 Colt load from them at that diameter.

Need scare up some RCBS 270 SAA, to be loaded around 1000 fps as my 'standard pressure heavy' load. I could gas up the Lee bullet but I want the loads to be easy to tell apart.

Last edited by SargeMO; 10/13/16.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If can be sized to the diameter you want, Ed will do it. He's also very good about giving you a particular mix/BHN.

He uses LBT soft blue which is a good lube.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just ordered up some of these:

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=387&category=5&secondary=14&keywords=

Have been wanting to try some in the 45 Colt. I decided to go with the Brinell 12 as I'll be loading them to around 900 fps and putting them through a S&W 25-5.

Hopefully I don't wind up wishing I had gotten the harder ones.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
R
ronc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RyanTX
I just ordered up some of these:

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=387&category=5&secondary=14&keywords=

Have been wanting to try some in the 45 Colt. I decided to go with the Brinell 12 as I'll be loading them to around 900 fps and putting them through a S&W 25-5.

Hopefully I don't wind up wishing I had gotten the harder ones.

You should be fine but what do I know. On the ones I ordered we'll see if they can handle 1300 fps.

Last edited by ronc; 10/14/16.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If can be sized to the diameter you want, Ed will do it. He's also very good about giving you a particular mix/BHN.

He uses LBT soft blue which is a good lube.

That is a great lube but stickier than what today's commercial bullet buyers are used to. I invariably end up getting lube on the cases. I simply throw the loaded rounds in the tumbler for 4-6 hours which not only cleans the cases but the bullet noses too, turning them dark gray and making the loaded rounds clean to handle. Here's the Lee 452-255-RF I mentioned over 8.5 grains of Universal for 910 fps from my 4 5/8 Vaquero.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
In the list of things I would NOT do as a handloader, tumbling loaded ammo is right there at the top.

Breaking down powder can do some weird stuff.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I ordered my Missouri Cowboy #9 bullets (Brinnel 12) last Friday and had them by Monday. Got some loaded up over 8.0 gr of Unique (around 900 fps) and shot them last night. The load was plenty accurate through my 25-5 and there was no leading at all.

I got the ones that are coated and like them a lot so far. Also didn't have all of the smoke that the standard lube had.

[Linked Image]

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Toldja so

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RyanTX
I ordered my Missouri Cowboy #9 bullets (Brinnel 12) last Friday and had them by Monday. Got some loaded up over 8.0 gr of Unique (around 900 fps) and shot them last night. The load was plenty accurate through my 25-5 and there was no leading at all.

I got the ones that are coated and like them a lot so far. Also didn't have all of the smoke that the standard lube had.

[Linked Image]
That is a thing of beauty. It don't get any finer than that.

Buy once, cry once.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Toldja so

grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
That is a thing of beauty. It don't get any finer than that.

Thank you, I love that pistol. Going to try and knock over a pig with it soon...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

363 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1minute, 1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 264mag, 43 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,336
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.