Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Question for the experts. I have a new-to-me p64 264.

Once fired, neck sized cases will not chamber. And there is brass shaved off of the one side of the case just ahead of the belt. If I carefully rotate the brass before chambering, it will chamber at some orientations and will not chamber at others.

Am I correct in assuming that the chamber is out of round?

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm not an expert or a gunwriter.

But I had a #1 rebarreled, came back shooting like a house on fire, but the case would only go back in the chamber oriented the same way it came out.

Definitely lop-sided.

When run through the sizer it would scrape brass off one side of the case, started shaving about a third of the way down the case, about an 1/8th of the circumference and trailed off to nothing just above the rim. Probably more of a high polish than actually shaving brass.

Sent it back to the smith that did the work.

He ate the original Lilja Bbl, did the whole job again with new Bbl. and sent it back.

Shoots great.....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
southtexas,

Your assumption sounds right to me.

Have a friend who had a very accurate .250 Savage bolt rifle rechambered to .250 Improved, at the suggestion of his gunsmith. The recut chamber was slightly off-center, and neck-sized cases not only needed to be specifically oriented to chamber, but the rifle never shot very well afterward.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a rifle built by a well known rifle maker in the early 90s. Brass from light loads was hard to extract and shaved a section of brass off when rechambered. These were not even close to full power loads and the area shaved off was the same on all pieces of brass.

I sent the rifle back at my expense, got a call from the owner who said there was nothing wrong with the rifle and I owed him for his time to look at it and ship it back. Magically, all the brass that wouldn't fit before now chambered easily and even full power loads didn't cause the same problem.

I know the chamber was reamed out slightly to fix it. I don't know why he lied about it. It's been more than 20 years and I'm still pissed about it.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

I know the chamber was reamed out slightly to fix it. I don't know why he lied about it. It's been more than 20 years and I'm still pissed about it.

Don't blame you. Some people just can't admit a mistake/being wrong.

At least he FIXED it. I wouldn't give him anymore work.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't, but my blood pressure goes up every time I see him mentioned in a magazine. I would have understood if he just admitted they messed up. He was quite rude about the whole thing as well. I've seen another one of his rifles that the bolt came apart on the third shot. Apparently it was fluted too deep. I'd not take one of his $3K rifles now if it was free.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by southtexas

Once fired, neck sized cases will not chamber. And there is brass shaved off of the one side of the case just ahead of the belt. If I carefully rotate the brass before chambering, it will chamber at some orientations and will not chamber at others.

Has the rifle been re-barreled????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

No. it appears to be an all original FWT. Which presents the obvious conundrum of altering a fairly valuable collector piece to make it a good shooter.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
southtexas,

Your assumption sounds right to me.

Have a friend who had a very accurate .250 Savage bolt rifle rechambered to .250 Improved, at the suggestion of his gunsmith. The recut chamber was slightly off-center, and neck-sized cases not only needed to be specifically oriented to chamber, but the rifle never shot very well afterward.

Thanks, MD. Not the answer I was hoping for, but pretty much what I expected.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have an IT&D chambered barrel that has this very problem. Called Dave on it, said nothing wrong with it. Rifle shoots great, hard on brass.

Sorry I ever tried him...

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had a rifle built by a well known rifle maker in the early 90s. Brass from light loads was hard to extract and shaved a section of brass off when rechambered. These were not even close to full power loads and the area shaved off was the same on all pieces of brass.

I sent the rifle back at my expense, got a call from the owner who said there was nothing wrong with the rifle and I owed him for his time to look at it and ship it back. Magically, all the brass that wouldn't fit before now chambered easily and even full power loads didn't cause the same problem.

Kodi....

While the smith that did mine certainly took care of the problem, one of his parting comments almost sounded as if the problem was MY fault.

Don't mention his name, but what State did your smith work in????

Be curious if we had the same problem from the same guy, the timing is right!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

No. it appears to be an all original FWT. Which presents the obvious conundrum of altering a fairly valuable collector piece to make it a good shooter.

I've never seen an original pre 64 model 70 with an "out of round" chamber. This is the reason I asked if it was re-barreled. I'm thinking you may want to look at your sizing process and not just assume it's an out of round chamber or anything else wrong with the rifle. Have you checked it with any precision measuring instruments. Try some small hole gauges or telescoping gauge and check for yourself to see if it has an anomaly such as an out of round chamber. Like I said, it's highly unlikely that the chamber would have an issue like this seeing how it is a pre 64 model 70....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, BSA. I agree that it would be a very unusual case. I'm having a chamber cast done to confirm. Hoping it's not a chamber problem! st

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Sounds like one of those problems that could be cured with a Dremel tool in about five minutes laugh

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's probably the only way to know for sure.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You already have chamber casts in hand..... ie: fired brass

Have you measured your fired brass in all manners?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Fired brass doesn't show how well the chamber is aligned with the bore.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by muffin

Kodi....

While the smith that did mine certainly took care of the problem, one of his parting comments almost sounded as if the problem was MY fault.

Utah at the time, but I think he's in Texas now.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by muffin

Kodi....

Utah at the time, but I think he's in Texas now.

Different guy...........

( . Y . )
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 65 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.