Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The Docter 8 x 56 ED/OH with Abbe Koenig prisms is just outstanding. I own Nikon Edge, Monarch V, Trijicon, Leica and Swarovski and my favorite image comes from the Docter 8 x 56. The Docter 8 x 56 Nobilem is also outstanding, if you can find it. It's no longer produced, but it has a huge porro prism and is exceptionally bright and clear. The Nikon Monarch V 8 x 56 is also very, very good for around $500.00.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I own Zeiss and Swarovski but if I wanted the best bino for around or under $1000 I would be taking a long look at the Maven B2.

If its too big then the Tract Toric,Conquest HD or Leica Trinovid.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'd take a hard look at the Minox HG glass made in Germany. I have two, an 8.5x43 and a 10x43. Both are terrific.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might try talking to Doug at Cameraland NY.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Viper HD's are the best deal.

Conquest HD's are better than Trinovids.

Leica hasn't done much beyond put lipstick on their binoculars the last 10years or so.

David

I have Razor HD's that are one year old, I had Conquests both the regular and HD, do not even begin to compare the glass quality.

I gave my son the Razor HDs for Christmas last year... they are extremely good glass and I agree the Conquest is not close. But that is also a $1500 bin at full retail. I just found a used example on Amazon for $400! In "like new" condition and Vortex warranties them on top of that.

Yeah I gave my son my Razor HD 10x50's as well

Let me clarify

I paid less then 1k for my Rzors new on a special and the conquests IDGAS which one is not in the same league as the Razors and the Razors cannot compare to my Leica Trinovids.

I have purchased 8 pairs of binoculars in the last 4 years trying to find the optimum bino, none of the stores around me sell really good Alpha glass. I don't like them I sell them and try another pair.

I have the older Trinovids, too, almost a year old... I do not see the Razor as inferior glass. I like the feel of the Trinovids better but would be happy working with either.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RobJordan
The Docter 8 x 56 ED/OH with Abbe Koenig prisms is just outstanding. I own Nikon Edge, Monarch V, Trijicon, Leica and Swarovski and my favorite image comes from the Docter 8 x 56. The Docter 8 x 56 Nobilem is also outstanding, if you can find it. It's no longer produced, but it has a huge porro prism and is exceptionally bright and clear. The Nikon Monarch V 8 x 56 is also very, very good for around $500.00.

Jordan

The 8x56, at more than twice the weight of everything else discussed and several times the money... very relevant...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of the ones you listed I like the Leupold BX-3 Mohave Pro Guide HD: $479

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I don't know what you want to do or if you have good eyes or need binos that offer eye relief.

Viper HDs are good but they are not as good as the Conquest HDs.

You should be able to find a pair of Leica Ultravids for under $1000 if you look hard enough.

I know that you can find good deals on Swaro 10X42 HDs right now. They are extremely good binos that work well in poor light as well as having very good glass.

You might check out the Swaro 10X25 CL Pockets. They are very good for the money.

Nikon Monarch 7s are great and presently have a very good warranty. We see it in action and they really don't ask questions and will back up their product.

The new leupold BX3 HD Pro Guides are very good and I was surprised that they can run with Vortex Vipers or with Nikons but they don't break into the big dogs.

Razors are good but people who are completely honest with you will tell you take the APO prism system can get knocked out of alignment and cause headaches. They you have to send them in for new Razors.

I have quite a bit of experience with all levels of binoculars but I don't know what your needs or what your eyes like.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Jordan

The 8x56, at more than twice the weight of everything else discussed and several times the money... very relevant...

To each his own I guess. You can get the Nikon Monarch V 8 x 56 for under $500.00. Yes, they are heavier and larger but the view from a 56mm lens is outstanding. I have found that I prefer it. Again, to each his own. The Docter's are about a $1000.00, but that is less than half of new Swaros, Leica or Zeiss. It'll relative I guess.

Last edited by RobJordan; 10/13/16.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Jordan

To each his own I guess. You can get the Nikon Monarch V 8 x 56 for under $500.00. Yes, they are heavier and larger but the view from a 56mm lens is outstanding. I have found that I prefer it. Again, to each his own. The Docter's are about a $1000.00, but that is less than half of new Swaros, Leica or Zeiss. It'll relative I guess.

Still shaking my head...

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I don't know what you want to do or if you have good eyes or need binos that offer eye relief.

Viper HDs are good but they are not as good as the Conquest HDs.

You should be able to find a pair of Leica Ultravids for under $1000 if you look hard enough.

I know that you can find good deals on Swaro 10X42 HDs right now. They are extremely good binos that work well in poor light as well as having very good glass.

You might check out the Swaro 10X25 CL Pockets. They are very good for the money.

Nikon Monarch 7s are great and presently have a very good warranty. We see it in action and they really don't ask questions and will back up their product.

The new leupold BX3 HD Pro Guides are very good and I was surprised that they can run with Vortex Vipers or with Nikons but they don't break into the big dogs.

Razors are good but people who are completely honest with you will tell you take the APO prism system can get knocked out of alignment and cause headaches. They you have to send them in for new Razors.

I have quite a bit of experience with all levels of binoculars but I don't know what your needs or what your eyes like.

Ultravids for under a grand???

I have far more than a passing history with Razors and have never heard of a single case of prism system issues with them. But I do know exactly how to get the exact numbers on those returns and will see what I can find on that and report back.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Art. I sell them. Its not my full time gig but it pays for my camping gear. In fact, I sell a lot of razors. I make a point of getting my customers into the very best binos for their budget. I probably have sold more than 60 pairs of Razors in the last three years. I might know more than a little bit about binoculars. Most people who buy Razors know what they are doing and take them sheep hunting. They aren't easy on them. The APO prism system consists of three sets of prisms that work in very tight alignment to produce a very snappy image. At its apex it approaches the optical quality of a pair of Swaro SLCs. However, this same tight alignment can be knocked out of alignment in the course of rough use. They will work and produce a decent image but because the optical elements aren't in perfect alignment the user will develop severe head aches especially if they use them on a tripod.

http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Leica-Ultravid-10x25-BR-Binoculars-%2340253-ultravid-hd&catalog[product_guids][0]=1240327

Last edited by kaboku68; 10/14/16.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Best used Pentax DCF SP or ED you can afford
Excellent customer service

Last edited by Cruiser1; 10/14/16.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I have a pair of Talon HD 8x42s I got through Cameraland for $365-ish and they're awesome. I really like the ergos and have compared them side by side with much better glass and while there is a difference (mostly in color rendition) it doesn't justify the massive price difference in my mind.

I have not tried the Viper HDs so I don't know what Sitka Deer is talking about, but I've found in optics as in much of life ignorance is bliss cuz I'm really happy with what I have and don't, at this point, care to even consider another bino.

Definitely shop Cameraland's open box specials tho; they're a fantastic value!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm very happy with my German made Minox. They don't have the sexy name recognition of Swarovski or Leica but to my eyes I don't see how I can do better. My hunting partner uses Swarovski and the Minox compare very favorably in my opinion. There's a lot of options out there for high quality optics without breaking the bank.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Binoculars are really wanted or necessary to see better. I have been using quality binos. for many decades for hunting and sailing to see aids to navigation and landmarks.

My eyesight is better than average at almost 20-13. Each person should choose their own optics by comparing them.

The three I have here now are my 7/12x32mm Switch Powers, Hensoldt 8X56 Nacht Dialyts, and Nikon Action 7-15x35's.
Fourth unknown, Fifth Nikon Action 7-15x35.

[Linked Image]

Of them the Nikon Action zooms were the most fun outside just now. For the price I suggest having something like them around anyway.

I want to post a pic. of them and will do it later.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
swell......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You know you can't wait Don...

Maybe we will get lucky and he will talk a little optics with us...grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99

My eyesight is better than average at almost 20-13. Each person should choose their own optics by comparing them.

Good vision is a waste without the ability to process the signals received.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Good vision is a waste without the ability to process the signals received.

The trouble with irony is not everyone gets it...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (10ring1, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.