Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Model70Guy

I'm currently at 135 buffalo on three continents.

I tip my hat to that

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
What's wrong with a mag full of 400 gr. TSX Rigby loads?

DF

That's one bullet/caliber combination I have some experience with. I used the 400 TSX in my CZ .416 for one trip and got puzzling results. It started with two shots into a blue wildebeaste, one quartering toward and the other broadside through the shoulders. Neither exited. There was some small stuff then the next week in a different country I had one turn 90 degrees in a 20 yard broadside buffalo.

These days its an accepted part of internet lore that the CZ .416 has a slower rifling twist than most of the others in .416 and that the 400 gr TSX is on the verge of unstability terminally and that one would be better served with a 350 grain. It might even be true for all I know, Barnes now recomends the 350. I never bothered to find out, just started transistioning to A-Frames in that caliber and the .375 before settling on the.458. There's a day and night difference in visible/audiable hit indictators. I did quite a bit of experimenting with light TSXs in the .458, partly to see if the bullets would turn it into a .375 and mostly to reduce recoil on culls. It does a decent job of both.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A most excellent post and recommendation for those of us who own CZs. Interestingly enough, Mr. & Mrs. Brooks both preferred the lighter bullet in the 375 (270) and in the 416 (350) for buffalo given their results.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I will be using the 350 gr TSX in my 416 Remington for buff/sable. Using the .375 270 gr TSX for my brown bear hunt.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good info guys.

Such details (CZ twist) etc. is most useful, thanks.

The 270 TSX in the. 375 H&H seems to be very popular.

The 300 NPT in the .375 H&H has had less than stellar reviews, the A-Frame seems a better choice.

The 350 TSX in the Rigby is an interesting concept. How about the 400 A-Frame vs. the 350 TSX?

DF

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I used the A Frame (400 gr/416 and the 300/375) to take everything from Buffalo to all manner of PG with outstanding results.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, jorge.

Good info.

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Even the 270 gr .375 A-Frame will work nicely, it always seems to made it to the far side, and for the most part softs are all tied once they hit the hide. Exits make for expensive screw-ups.

Used both the 270 and 300 grain TSX in the .375, there's no question that the A-Frame hits harder.

Random note, CEB Safari Raptors kill well at close range, slow down faster than a bag of leaves, and get eaten by bush. A case could be made for nothing being great through bush, but you have a prayer if your bullet never broke into 7 pieces. You don't get to wait for a clear shot on follow-ups.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like the 135 gr. Raptor in the .308, I can see how they could "go to pieces" hitting brush, etc. They're very accurate, very lethal on WT's, hogs, etc.

I guess if I was going after DG, I'd stick with A-Frames, got a box of 300's to try in my .375 H&H.

DF

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
In no particular order:

1. Practice shooting from the sticks as well as offhand. Stay off the bench.

2. Have a good low power scope that will withstand recoil and bouncing around in a safari car. An illuminated reticle is helpful. Reliable QD mounts are a good idea in case you have to use the iron sights.

3. Personally, after having them rivet and bend, I avoid Federal Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer solids.

4. Listen to your PH and do what he says.

5. Practice working the action so you don't short stroke.

6. Stay in good physical condition.

7. Don't wear sunglasses. They make it more difficult to spot the animal. Clear or pale yellow work best for me.

8. Don't get fixated on "record book horns". A wily old dagga boy, to me, is a better trophy that a less mature bull with a big spread. In buff hunting, it's the quality of the hunt and the challenges involved rather than the measurement that counts most.

9. Relax and go with the flow. There will be good days and bad days.

10. Invest in a good rescue service, such as Global rescue. Just in case....

Excellent advice! I'll add a couple comments...

1. Practice with your rifle, in field positions. I did most of my pre-buff hunt practice sessions at specific ranges - 10, 25, 40, 60, 100, and 150 yards, mostly from offhand and no more than 25% from sticks. Practice sessions will be longer, more productive, and less painful if you load or buy some reduced recoil practice ammo for your rifle. I put 500+ rounds through my 375 H&H in the 2 months before my hunt, about 80% of which was with reduced recoil loads. Practice both with your scope and with iron sights. Lots of practice means using your rifle in the field will be second nature.

2. Quick detach mounts make sense. Better yet, get 2 sets of mounts and a backup scope. In my practice sessions, I sighted in for my practice load with my backup Nikon Monarch scope, and sighted the Trijicon 1-4X for my hunting load, and used both in each practice session. This breeds familiarity with dismounting your scope, which can be very handy in the bush.

3. No comment

4. Agreed. My PH strongly recommended 300 gr A-frames, among other things. He did not steer me wrong in anything.

5. Practice sessions should include dry-fire and dummy round manipulation. For every one of those near-600 rounds I fired at the range, I put 3-4 dummy rounds thru my rifle's action at home while watching TV.

6. You can't stay in good condition if you're not in good condition to start with. Begin your conditioning program early enough that you don't hurt yourself trying to "get in shape" for your hunt. Walking is best, because walking is what you'll be doing in Africa hunting buff. Walk with a light pack and a dummy rifle (or a real rifle if you live where doing so won't get you stopped by the police), and for goodness sake don't take new boots to Africa. Walk in the boots you're going to hunt in.

7. Eye protection is smart. I wore polycarbonate shooting glasses each day on my buff hunt. You'll be in dense brush, so risk of eye injury is high. A corneal abrasion is a temporary thing, but the 1-2 days you have to stay in camp with eyepatches on is 1-2 days you won't be hunting.

8. Agreed. On my (first) buffalo hunt, getting a good trophy bull was my goal... but i wasn't excessively picky. An old bull, preferably the dominant old bull in a herd of dagga boys, was my primary objective. I hoped for a decent spread, 36" plus, but mature hard bosses were a must. My PH helped me set my priorities here, and many of our 24HCF guys weighed in as well. Good advice: By setting a reasonable goal, I was able to get my first buffalo with a reasonable effort. Holding out for a 40+ inch bull on your first try might mean eating tag soup!

9. Good advice.

10. I bought Global Rescue. Didn't need it.

A buffalo hunt is a DG hunt. In my opinion, it requires an outlay of effort (and cash!) well above that required for plains game. If you plan accordingly, it will be richly rewarding, and quite possibly the hunt of a lifetime.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go to Zimbabwe with a reputable Safari Company. Do a Double Buff NOT a single. It's to far to go and only take one of the Big Five. You should be able to get a 10 day Double Buff for around $15,500. Oh and it's TWICE as fun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Slider1
Go to Zimbabwe with a reputable Safari Company. Do a Double Buff NOT a single. It's to far to go and only take one of the Big Five. You should be able to get a 10 day Double Buff for around $15,500. Oh and it's TWICE as fun.

Two buffalo in Zim for 15K. You're dreaming.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could do that in Tanz a few years ago, but the price with the charter probably exceeds $15k now.

Love to hunt buff!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Zim: Daily rate for buffalo 1600/day
Trophy fee: 5500

math is hard...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BH63

You know those guys that say buffalo turn bullet-proof after the first shot? They're the ones with a magazine full of solids.

The rationale for solids as backup shots on buffalo is that they can penetrate through 5 feet of buffalo and still break bone, putting you ahead of the game. Hit a running buffalo with a raking shot on the left side and you will encounter a thick paunch filled with partially digested grass. You need all of the penetration you can get.

My advice is to listen to your PH. He has probably seen more buffalo killed than any stateside hunter, regardless of how many trips he/she has made to Africa.

JMO

BH63

I'm currently at 135 buffalo on three continents. I don't count those I finished off for other people like PHs do.

You have killed 135 Cape Buffalo (Syncerus caffer caffer) on 3 continents?? I didn't realize they were hunted anywhere other than Africa.

Tony Sanchez Arino in "Last of The Few" stated that he had killed 1436 Cape Buffalo. His recommendation was to use only solids if shooting a caliber smaller than .400 or a bullet weighing less than 400 gr. For larger bullets/calibers, he recommends the use of partitions for the first shot, provided you have a clear shot (i.e. not shooting through brush, etc). So, unless your PH tells you different, I would much rather listen to the advice of someone who has killed over a thousand buffalo, rather than the advice of someone who has killed less than 150. But that is just me.

BH63

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Arino was using sixty year old technology when it comes to bullets. In Africa today, you'd be hard pressed for a PH to recommend solids for buffalo.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
^
The book was published in 2000. Hardly 60 years ago. And I believe Tony was still hunting in the late 1990s.

So Jorge did you load only partitions in your rifles on your cape buffalo hunts? Or did you also load solids?

BH63

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never used Partitions. 400gr Swift Aframes and I also took solids. After I hit the buffalo on the shoulder and went to follow up, I asked my PH (John Sharp) if I should switch to solids and he said no need. That was in 05 and in 2000 when Tony published that book, he was speaking about his hunting that started in the 40s. Second buffalo with a 375 my friend shot, same thing.
Today, when one goes to places like DSC and speak with PHs, it's pretty much a rule (not an absolute) PH only recommend solids for elephant, rhino and Hippo On DRY LAND. Watched another example of this by Tony Makris who INSISTS on using only solids. Lung shot a buffalo, TWICE and it took two days to track,

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

You know those guys that say buffalo turn bullet-proof after the first shot? They're the ones with a magazine full of solids.

The rationale for solids as backup shots on buffalo is that they can penetrate through 5 feet of buffalo and still break bone, putting you ahead of the game. Hit a running buffalo with a raking shot on the left side and you will encounter a thick paunch filled with partially digested grass. You need all of the penetration you can get.

My advice is to listen to your PH. He has probably seen more buffalo killed than any stateside hunter, regardless of how many trips he/she has made to Africa.

JMO

BH63

I'm currently at 135 buffalo on three continents. I don't count those I finished off for other people like PHs do.

You have killed 135 Cape Buffalo (Syncerus caffer caffer) on 3 continents?? I didn't realize they were hunted anywhere other than Africa.

Tony Sanchez Arino in "Last of The Few" stated that he had killed 1436 Cape Buffalo. His recommendation was to use only solids if shooting a caliber smaller than .400 or a bullet weighing less than 400 gr. For larger bullets/calibers, he recommends the use of partitions for the first shot, provided you have a clear shot (i.e. not shooting through brush, etc). So, unless your PH tells you different, I would much rather listen to the advice of someone who has killed over a thousand buffalo, rather than the advice of someone who has killed less than 150. But that is just me.

BH63

Did I say cape buffalo? Besides, the capes are the runts of the buffalo family.

Whats funny is getting a few PHs into the whisky and what them argue about buffalo and bullets.They don't agree on anything.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Slider1

Two buffalo in Zim for 15K. You're dreaming.

This one is in Zim all in $14,000 http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/832100588/m/7091066322

This one is in Zambia for LESS than $13,000
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/832100588/m/6331056422

I went on one 2 months ago in Zim myself for $15,500. So NO I am NOT DREAMING!!!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
766 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 73 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,715
Posts18,400,368
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.