Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Was perfect weather. About 60* and not a hint of wind. Past experience said there were not a lot of squirrels in this strip of woods, but it was handy. Found an oak tree with just the right lean, sat down,leaned back, and made myself comfortable. Just a little light to the east.

After half hour I see movement in the top of an oak about 30 yards out. Still lots of leaves but looks like a large fox squirrel up there. Finally can see a little of the body and send up a load of #5s. Down it come. Keep my seat and about ten minutes later, another one starts working the top of that tree. Another load of #5s up, down it comes.

Around 8:30 two gray squirrels show up near by , get them both. By 9:00 the wind is starting and the mosquitoes are active so I decide to pick up my squirrels and leave.

Got the grays first the went over for the foxs and what I found was not squirrels but two baby coons. About the size of fox squirrels and similar color.WTH.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
waiting on the photos , love squirrel hunting

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In this case, photos might be used against him in a court of law. I think a binocular might have been useful in this instance (almost slipped and said "pair" of binoculars😱).

Love squirrel hunting too; squirrel cleaning, not so much. Gotta whack one now and then to justify my $1000 "squirrel rifle" though.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Larry, glad to hear you got to go hunting. Did you eat the coons or give them away? Inquiring minds want to know!

I've been twice. First time, I tripped on a vine/limb before it got light enough to see and my rifle went flying. I shot at 3 squirrels, missed all 3, and went home to check rifle. Sure enough, it was shooting high and to the right.

Second time was last Sat., 60ish, but the wind was blowing at daylight. Killed 4 cat squirrels.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd rather kill coons than squirrels. Damn turkey nest robbers.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Raccoons are legal to shoot. There's a black lady in Cotton Valley who was happy to get them and said if I got others, bring them to her.

I don't think binos would have helped. Couldn't have seen through the leaves anyway. They were brown/orange in color and looked like large fox squirrels from what I could see. Had never seen baby coons before. Don't know where mama was.

Randy, I didn't go opening weekend. This happened on the first Monday of the season. Have been four times since then and only got ten total. Where are the squirrels?

Went to Bodcau Resv.(Wenks Landing) yesterday. Say only three, got two. Met a guy there who went in from Crow Lake and hunted down to Wenks,about three miles, and saw only three squirrels. I only heard three shots all morning.

Just went out on the patio and there's already wind from the south so I won't go this AM.

Last edited by websterparish47; 10/11/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've only been the two times, but saw 10-15 squirrels both times. Only hunted about 150 yds, moved over about 75 yds or so and hunted back to starting place. This was in Black Bayou Bottom. Had to walk in a ways and the water is just high enough, to keep me from getting to the area I like to hunt best. Water is too low for a pirogue (too many logs to cross and cypress knees to dodge) and too high for knee boots.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
I think the problem with Bodcau is two fold. First, there are mast producing trees in huge number so the squirrels are spread out. Second is the size of the Resv. At least a mile wide and almost thirty miles long. There are relatively few access points and those points get heavy hunting.

I've been trying Bodcau cause I don't have access to much private land.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 54 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.