Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Right. And they make barrels bulge too.

Never said they made the barrel bulge. Just that they are a piss poor choice of a muzzleloader bullet.......

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That is why I pressed on shooting. I am only speculating on why what occured. I really do not know. Other than my poor T/C barrel looks pregnant!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Originally Posted by smokepole
Right. And they make barrels bulge too.

Never said they made the barrel bulge. Just that they are a piss poor choice of a muzzleloader bullet.......

Never failed me. I've heard some have trouble with them though.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd be interested to hear what TC believes to be the cause. Got a picture of the barrel? That's a lot of bullet, what are you hunting?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
7" from the muzzle? Sure doesnt sound like a crud ring to me.

Did you have any misfires during the shoot where only the primer went off?

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by bigblock455
7" from the muzzle? Sure doesnt sound like a crud ring to me.

Did you have any misfires during the shoot where only the primer went off and you loaded another one on top of it?

Fixed it.

Haa, I'm not sure if he'd still be here if he did. eek

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How much T7 were you using with the 460s?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lucky it wasn't a Spanish made POS or they would still be picking parts of it out of your face....

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
When you say they were loading "loose", how loose? It's not beyond the realm of imagination that a loose projectile could slide back up the barrel away from the powder charge? (If the barrel were tilted down.) Such a scenario will cause a bulge. Pretty far fetched, but still...

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/15/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not so far-fetched, I could see that happening with a less-than-bore-sized bullet.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Cow elk. I don't post photos (not on principle, just incompetence) but if you want me to text you a photo I will. P.M. me. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Nope. The first shot felt weird though, hardly any recoil. At that time at 100 yards I was missing the back stop.. I believe I am using 70 or 80 grains.( I haven't changed my measure for three or four years) It was a new can of T7 fffg although. I always pack the conical in tight and check the ram rod level. But like I say the gun got really tight at the place where the bulge appeared. Then whoop! She started loaded easy until, of course the lower crud ring level. I was on the back stop then and was walking in the leupold m8 scope. But my last two 460 gainers had over 30 inch spread. I did not use a starter on my first 5 shots or so. But about an inch past the starter the conical was really getting tight for a few inches. That is where the bulge appeeared.

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/15/16.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No Excuse 460s are generally slip-fit in T/C barrels. Most everyone says they go down the pipe too loose.

The choice of powder and the lack of swabbing did-you-in.

The only Powerbelt models I avoid are the all lead and ballistic tip copper-clads. Also avoid any weight below 295 grains. The rest of the lineup is good, especially the Platinums, which are very good in performance.... but too expensive.

I buy all my Powerbelts on year-end closeout sales at Walmart. Really good deals in mid-December there.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In Idaho all that is legal is the pure lead beasts. No other than lead allowed in a projectile. Is there a better choice of granular powder? It has to go off using the #11;primers as that is all that is legal. Thanks. By the way I have similar opinions of the projectles. Thanks again for posting.

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/16/16.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The 348 405 and 444 lead powerbelts get the job done. I especially like the flat point version. I never understood the need for a hollow point pure lead conical.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, I will look for the flat points. I have only seen the hollow points. Especially the triple 4.....one of my favorite calibers. Just think a T4 powered by T7?

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/16/16.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just remembered that I had these pictures from years ago.

[Linked Image]

The culprit?
[Linked Image]

This Hawken the owner thinks he loaded up, got side tracked, loaded again and the second ball, due to the air not being able to escape through the nipple, pushed itself off the first load and became an obstruction.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Powerbelt is nothing but a pure lead conical. It is plated to make it load easier, and has a belt and tip added that in effect do nothing. But I imagine they look real advanced to those ignorant of the facts. I love it when they call them the most advanced muzzleloader bullet on the market. Nice marketing. There is a sucker born every minute they say,

Why would you want a bore sized projectile in a muzzleloader? So you can have less BC and less SD? The Powerbelt is the most over rated, over priced bullet out there. Marketed at the clueless, of course. Because they make no sense on any level to anyone who knows their a$$ from a hole in the ground. Nor should they.....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
the copper plating is to reduce leading in the bore. It doesnt even touch the rifling until its fired off. The skirt which ranges from .503 to the now larger, .508 range on the platinum/aerolite is what holds in the bore. The bullets .499" diameter is what makes it load easy,no engraving of the lead unlike say a maxi ball or great plains conical.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
A Powerbelt is nothing but a pure lead conical. It is plated to make it load easier, and has a belt and tip added that in effect do nothing. But I imagine they look real advanced to those ignorant of the facts. I love it when they call them the most advanced muzzleloader bullet on the market. Nice marketing. There is a sucker born every minute they say,

Why would you want a bore sized projectile in a muzzleloader? So you can have less BC and less SD? The Powerbelt is the most over rated, over priced bullet out there. Marketed at the clueless, of course. Because they make no sense on any level to anyone who knows their a$$ from a hole in the ground. Nor should they.....

That's funny right there. Why would someone want a bore-sized conical you ask?

That's a tough one. Let me think on it. Oh yeah, state law.

Plated to make it load easier you say? Good one! As bigblock pointed out, they're less than bore-sized. I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking that's what makes them load easier.

The skirt has no function you say? Again, just guessing but since the bullet is less than bore-sized, I'm thinking the skirt is what holds it in place down on the powder charge.

The reason I use 'em is, they're the most accurate bullet in my rifle. I think I've killed 10-12 elk with 'em, never failed me. I know three guys who post here who used 'em on elk this year, all one shot kills. Although some do have problems with 'em.

Yep, there's definitely some cluelessness going around.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 3,100 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,946
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.