Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I did not mean to start a power belt fight! But what I have is a barrel I damaged. With the 460 grain no excuses the rifle so a 40 inch group of two. With the power belts less than 2.5 inches. the target was not erect but in a angle laying on the birm,therefore the group is most likely much tighter.This was at 100 yards, off a pick up hood with a 10 mph wind. I think that tells the story. Before the rifle was damaged the rifle would shoot the 460 grain no excuses at an 2 inch group routinely. I can send a photo! I think that speaks loads about them power belts for accuracy. And I thought I should share this.

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/16/16.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Muzzleloaders do not exactly produce sizzling velocities to begin with. Forcing hunters to use bullets of lower SD that penetrate even less hardly seems like the responsible thing to do from the so-called experts in the DOW.

The lighter PB bullets are absolute crap because of their low SDs and are known for poor penetration.

Maybe they should choose a different profession.......

Yeah, they should probably ban archery hunting too, especially traditional bows since they have a much more limited range than an open-sighted muzzleloader. It's just not responsible for them to allow that, seeing as how it forces the hunter to get up close and all.

It does crack me up to hear a self-appointed authority focus on BCs, SDs, and so forth when we're talking about a rifle that shoots a slow-moving big hunk of lead.

And who's talking about lighter powerbelts besides you?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I did not mean to start a power belt fight!

No worries, some just have an axe to grind.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I will try some black powder gnnoah! Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nobody is forcing anyone to use a traditional bow. The way some idiot in the DOW is forcing someone to use an inferior bullet. See the difference?

And why? Because they would rather someone wound an animal than take one a little further ways out with a more reliable bullet? Sounds like some really well thought out logic by the people "who are not stupid and do it for a living".

LMAO.

Sorry Angus. I am done talking about PB bullets now. Nor do I have an axe to grind. I can understand Smokepole and whomever using them if some idiotic regulation forces them to. But I'd not use them by choice otherwise......

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
One thing to remember with those No excuse bullets is how loose they fit into some bores. My friends cva wolf, they wouldnt even fit because they were so loose and could move off the charge. No way you can hunt with a bullet like that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To be honest, I thought we figured out the problem and the cure on page 1......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigblock455
One thing to remember with those No excuse bullets is how loose they fit into some bores. My friends cva wolf, they wouldnt even fit because they were so loose and could move off the charge. No way you can hunt with a bullet like that.

Yeah, that would be really not good. Wow. That is flat out dangerous.

How does something like that even make it to market? Did you mic the bullet or the bore?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
perhaps but u ever know. When a gun blows up, its an even harder story to solve because its blown up. A bulged barrel 7" from the muzzle is even harder, because its 7". Not many short starters go that far in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Short seated bullet or plugged bore are first things that come to mind. Never heard of bullets rolling around in barrels before.

I listened to a guy brag about his new Browning shotgun for a 150 mile ride. Then watched him blow it up on the first shot. Snow will do that. grin

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nobody is forcing anyone to use a traditional bow. The way some idiot in the DOW is forcing someone to use an inferior bullet. See the difference?

You're as FOS as a Christmas turkey. People have been killing stuff with bore-sized conicals since there were bore-sized conicals and there are plenty of good bullets to choose from. Anybody who says bore-sized conicals are no good for killing stuff is a flipping idiot.

And no one is forcing anyone to use a bore-sized bullet anyway Einstein. You could fill volumes with what you don't know about hunting in Colorado. If anyone wants to hunt in Colorado with a saboted bullet, smokeless powder, and/or a Hubble scope on a muzzleloader, he can.

He just can't do it in the special early season during the rut. If you want to hunt the early season, you make the choice to accept the limitations and get closer. That's what early seasons with primitive weapons are all about.

See the difference?

Of course some will whine about the regs, even those who've never hunted here and never plan to. Some people just need something to whine about.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Angus, I've got no idea what caused the bulge so close to the muzzle.
Everybody knows of the dangers when a bullet isn't seated snug on the powder but that doesn't sound like what your dealing with.
Send it back to TC and let them have a look so we all know!

2muchgun,
muzzleloader season out west is a special Primitive season and regulated as such. Idaho is different than Colorado is different than Michigan.

I won't address bows or shotguns, read more, post less, may help avoid confusion.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigblock455
its to keep it a little more traditional. In Colorado for example, no scopes "unless you have a permit due to poor vision" no pellets, no sabots, no smokeless powder.

Only open sights * fiber optics ok* loose powder,conical bullets or patched balls. Plus theres also caliber and bullet weight limits.

Muzzleloader season is a primitive hunt. I'd actually like Colorado to add a special LATE season muzzle loader hunt thats sidelock or flint only with patched ball or lead conical only, loose powder, open sights. I think that would be nice and then for our current Ml season, keep it the same month of september but allow scopes and all that other junk.

Wow. It sure seems that this states no sabots in Colorado.

I was going by what you guys said.

Sorry if you don't know the hunting regs of your own state.

Wow.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colodog
2muchgun,
muzzleloader season out west is a special Primitive season and regulated as such. Idaho is different than Colorado is different than Michigan..

Yeah, I get that. And am not the one who started down that road, and truly couldn't give a $hit less about what the regs in Colorado are. One guy says sabots, the other guy no sabots. One guy says to keep things traditional, the other guy says to limit shooting range.

Maybe they should argue their state regs between themselves, cuz I don't care about them......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The bigger conicals rely on "inertia" or compression of itself to seal the bore. I have had good luck with them especially in colder weather where plastic may behave differently due to brittelness. With the big conical one needs a fouled bore. But too fouled can apparently cause bigger problems. I cleaned the rifle with the bulge and the rifling in the bore where the bulge is looks grossly stressed and deformed. I 5hink I will pass on shooting it anymore. Out west muzzeloaders are restricted to these rules concerning sights, ignition, and projectiles. I guess the bears gotta eat.

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/16/16.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Wow. It sure seems that this states no sabots in Colorado.

I was going by what you guys said.

Sorry if you don't know the hunting regs of your own state.

Wow.....

He's talking about the special early season, and I'm sure he knows that you can use all that stuff during the general firearms season. Unlike you. See the difference?

Like I said, what you don't know about hunting in Colorado could fill volumes, as you've already proven. If you want to continue to talk about Colorado regs, my advice is to learn at least a little about them.

Maybe they should argue their state regs between themselves, cuz I don't care about them......

Too funny, you're the one arguing about them. I'm just giving you the facts. It's the only way you'll have any.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was arguing what the hunting regs in Colorado are? Really? Show me where.

The only "facts" are that you guys both from Colorado said 2 different things----twice....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
And you're not smart enough to figure it out, that much is clear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I said show me where.

Sorry you can't comprehend a simple thread where YOU and Jonathan both clearly stated that you guys use PB bullets because of state law.

I never said jack about regs in Colorado. Let alone argued what they were. Did you fantasize this?

Go back and read it. Maybe the second time around will the charm.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All I see is one of you stating sabot use, loooong after the other stated no sabot use. And both of of you stating using PB use due to state law.

And one of you stating bore sized bullets to keep it traditional, but the other stating it is to limit range.

Again, sorry you guys don't know the rules of your back yard, or the "sound reasoning" behind such well thought out regulations.....

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.