Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B U L L E T S

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I can't comment on the personality types since I don't personally know anyone who owns one. And I have never hunted with anyone who was using one.

the above could change on a moments notice ! laugh

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I wonder if different bullets have any bearing on the performance of any given cartridge.? 😉!

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Nope. A bullet's a bullet.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have always wanted a 280 AI. It's one of the few medium caliber's I have never owned. I bet they are fun to shoot.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I can't comment on the personality types since I don't personally know anyone who owns one. And I have never hunted with anyone who was using one.

the above could change on a moments notice ! laugh

It could! wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just fired a 280 AI for the first time this week- Rem 70, Jewell trigger, McM M40 stock, Douglass barrel & S&B scope. I borrowed it for a Scottish stag hunt. We did not see any stags on the estate over a four day period (saw one on an adjacent property last night). I did take a feral goat with the AI. The owner had just received it from the gunsmith after rechamberi g and cerakoating. I got in position and touched off the trigger- click. Recockec and squeezed again- 140 BT in goat's shoulder at 175 yards. Goat goes down, but gets back up. Repeat click, recock, bang, shoulder hit sequence. It appears that the standard 280 cases were being pushed forward instead of firing on the initial strike. Owner went home and seated bullets to touch the lands- rifle fired properly on 3 test shots.
I also shot a custom Ruger 1 in 6.5-06 with a heavy Shilen barrel, NF scope and suppressor. It weighed a ton, but was a nice shooter.

Who is John Galt?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Now, I have been an Ackley Improved cartridge fan since before that Armstrong fellow stepped onto the Moon. First one was a Ruger 77 Round Top that came chambered for the .257 Roberts. I had it rechambered by Micro Sight for the Ackley version. That lash-up had no reason to shoot .375" 10 shot groups at 100 yards with a Sierra 75 grain HP, ahead of 48.0 grains of H-380, but it did. First two ground squirrels I shot were complete misses, until I noticed the log they were sitting on was coated with little pink flecks of biological foam, and found a little piece of furry hide about the size of a postage stamp. I was amazed.

I am on my third .257 Roberts Ackley, this one a custom Remington 700 with a Schneider barrel that was worked over by Greg Tannel. It cost more than my first three jalopies and first Honda motorcycle. For some strange reason I still like the .257 Ackley, although the cartridge is way overkill for varmint.

Then I branched out trying a couple of others, with the last one a .22-250 Remington Ackley Improved. Now, for this one I went a different route just to tinker with something new. Obtained a print of the chambering reamer, and gathered up two fired cases and sent them to Hornady's Custom Shop, and they made me a hydraulic case forming die and a chamber matched F.L. sizing die set. The hydraulic forming die expanded new brass with a couple blows of a dead-blow hammer to exactly fit the chamber, so that all that firing did was slightly sharpen the body to shoulder junction, otherwise no more hassle with having to fire form, or backed out primers, or short cases from forming with too light a load. Winchester brass worked best, and Lapua the worst; it's always good when the cheap stuff works best. I was in hog heaven. Thing shot bug holes, killed sage rats with enormous splats. Sounds good so far.

Here's the rub. After all that work, blap-a-doodling up cases, loading and sweating over getting everything just right, I asked myself - why? The truth is that in Ackley's day they didn't have all the powders and cartridges we enjoy today. That and the fact that ever then, the Improved cases weren't producing that much additional velocity gain. The .257 Roberts Ackley being about the most efficient with around an honest 100 -200 fps depending on bullet weight. of course some versions are good for slowing case stretch, such as the .220 Swift Ackley, but loading it to full advantage still is tough on the brass. So, I came to the conclusion that given all the available cartridges today, it just doesn't make much sense or need to dabble with the Improved case thing. They now sit proudly in my safes, unused and forlorn, while the .204 Ruger's; .223 Remingtons; 6mm PPC's; 6mm BR Norma; .243 WSSM; .25-06 Remington; 6.5-284 Norma; and a lesser used 7mm Remington Magnum; and a fantastically accurate .308 Winchester built on a Remington 700 action, do the work. After living long enough to realize that if one selects the bullet first and matches it to the specifications desired, velocity being the important factor, any cartridges that puffs it out at that speed will all shoot the same. All the rest is marketing to create interest and sales, and of course, provide entertainment for those who are bored with things practical and ordinary.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 10/13/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
......and that being said, the 24 Hour Campfire is now closed for business.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mrfudd
It appears that the standard 280 cases were being pushed forward instead of firing on the initial strike.

Suggesting, if you will, that the headspace was not set correctly correct.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WranglerJohn
....................After living long enough to realize that if one selects the bullet first and matches it to the specifications desired, velocity being the important factor, any cartridges that puffs it out at that speed will all shoot the same. All the rest is marketing to create interest and sales, and of course, provide entertainment for those who are bored with things practical and ordinary.

Whew! Someone gets it.

SSOO much better than listening to this "ultimate BG cartridge" blather but I guess you have to grapple your way through a lot of rifles and cartridges before it all starts to sink in.... wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/14/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Either that, or the brass had already been fired in a .280 chamber.

New brass has a slight curve between the top of the shoulder and the neck. A good gunsmith will make the chamber "crush fit" this curve when chambering for an improved round.

When brass is fired in a standard chamber this curve disappears, becoming a sharp angle, and the brass won't "crush fit" in the improved chamber.

Have seen this in more than one improved-chambered rifle. Loads in new brass will fire fine, but loads in brass previously fired in a rifle chambered for the standard cartridge often won't.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Either that, or the brass had already been fired in a .280 chamber.

New brass has a slight curve between the top of the shoulder and the neck. A good gunsmith will make the chamber "crush fit" this curve when chambering for an improved round.

When brass is fired in a standard chamber this curve disappears, becoming a sharp angle, and the brass won't "crush fit" in the improved chamber.

Have seen this in more than one improved-chambered rifle. Loads in new brass will fire fine, but loads in brass previously fired in a rifle chambered for the standard cartridge often won't.

^^^ Good points.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I guess I would question why a gun would be taken on a hunting trip with ammo that didn't even match the chambering. I know that is supposed to be one of the benefits of the AI chambering, but why have an AI if the intent is to shoot 280 Rem. loads?

It would be like buying a 458 lott, and taking it on Safari with 458 win. mag. ammo only. Actually, that would be better, because it would be guaranteed to fire. But, not the purpose of the gun's chambering, either.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No one seemed to want to take the time to test fire the rifle either, which means that no testing was done with the ammo that was going to be used after coming back from the gunsmith and rechambering. Did he cerakote it with the scope in place or was it removed before placing in the curing oven?...so where was the zero?

Just questions...

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think this oryx was the first ever taken with a 280ai, and a 140 gr ttsx !
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was told that the rifle had been sighted in after rechambering and that it had misfired once or twice. The bolt was taken apart and cleaned and the rifle fired properly. I believe that the brass was previously fired in the same gun prior to the AI work. Needless to say, the owner was not happy and called the gunsmith for resolution.

Who is John Galt?
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
And the gunsmith hopefully told him to look at the barrel stamp and use the proper ammunition for the rifle next time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostman
I haven't seen enough (accurate) velocity increase over standard 280 to justify the AI. If I had to do it over I'd go with a 7mm Mag.

I have a std 280 in the works, NOT improved!

I see lots of used 280AIs for sale and hardly any std 280s. That tells me something.

A
Aught6 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I don't mind tinkering with loading shells. I find it time well spent or wasted depending on your view. I just don't want to piss away good money trying to get a poor platform something it can't be when I can just buy one for less. I can buy a Montana in 280AI for under $1500 and not have to have it sit at a Smith's for months. I'll have a 280AI one way or another. No offense to the 7 Remington Mag but it's almost as pedestrian as the 06 or 270. Hell of a good cartridge but I want something different. And that is probably the appeal. Something different to play with. The 30-06 and the other standard chamberings I have are just too easy.

Last edited by Aught6; 11/05/16.
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 47 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,236
Posts18,466,731
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.