Hop To
#11491667 10/09/16
R
RGK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Sold off all my M70s in a downsizing fit...except this one. It's a standard grade .30-06 from 1955 that will always be with me. It wears a late-manufactured Lyman All-American 4X that's clear and bright, secured in Redfield steel Jr rings from the '50's. I'll be checking my 200 yd zero tomorrow with Win 180 grain Power Points. Speaking as a lefty, this is my favorite bolt rifle...with several left-handed bolt guns in the safe. Nothing special, just another M70 .30-06 soldiering on.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 10/09/16.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
We have a lot in common. However, my favorite rifle is my sporterized m1917...... That's a beautiful rifle buddy... Hey, speaking of 180 gr. powerpoints. My rifles love those things. Here's the load I use in my model 70's:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'll bet your rifle would like this exact load. OAL would probably be just about spot on too. Let us know how she does with those 180 gr. Winchesters...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That rifle can hunt the world.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Can't beat a 30.06. Nice rifle.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
RGK: Great picture of a great Rifle!
Good for you and thanks for sharing.
I "retired" a similar Rifle some years ago.
It was a standard Rifle made on May 3rd 1954.
I began Hunting with it in 1967 or so and have killed tons (I mean that literally, TONS!) of big game with it including Black Bear, Elk (two kinds), Deer (three kinds), Mt Goat and Antelope.
I killed so much game and had such affection and respect for that never failing gun that I retired it about 12 years ago.
It just hangs in a prominent place in my gun vault room waiting to be passed on to a child or grandchild when the time comes.
"Soldiering on" is an apt description of these vintage Rifles.
I have NO doubt in my mind that I could take that Rifle of mine down, clean the storage oil out of the barrel and do quite well with it in this upcoming season!
My 1954 vintage Model 70 wears an OLD Leupold 3x9 scope that compliments it very well.
Enjoy the season and good luck to you.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Nice looking rifle. I've been trying to downsize my collection as well. I'm keeping one M70 in .308, .30-06, 300H&H, and .375. If I had to keep going the .30-06 would probably be the last one in the cabinet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful rifle in the most versatile caliber! Nice choice!

Eric

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
RGK: Great picture of a great Rifle!
Good for you and thanks for sharing.
I "retired" a similar Rifle some years ago.
It was a standard Rifle made on May 3rd 1954.
I began Hunting with it in 1967 or so and have killed tons (I mean that literally, TONS!) of big game with it including Black Bear, Elk (two kinds), Deer (three kinds), Mt Goat and Antelope.
I killed so much game and had such affection and respect for that never failing gun that I retired it about 12 years ago.
It just hangs in a prominent place in my gun vault room waiting to be passed on to a child or grandchild when the time comes.
"Soldiering on" is an apt description of these vintage Rifles.
I have NO doubt in my mind that I could take that Rifle of mine down, clean the storage oil out of the barrel and do quite well with it in this upcoming season!
My 1954 vintage Model 70 wears an OLD Leupold 3x9 scope that compliments it very well.
Enjoy the season and good luck to you.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG,
How did you manage to get an exact born-on date for this rifle?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
PoconoJack: To ascertain "the exact born on date" I referred to Roger Rules book "The Riflemans Rifle" on page 50 in the fourth column to the right.
There Mr. Rule relays the factory dates of manufacture as recorded by the Model 70's serial numbers.
My 30/06 has serial number 297,xxx thus indicating it was made on or REAL close to May 3rd 1954.
By the way many years ago I began a search for a pre-64 Model 70 that was "born on" my birthdate.
Didn't take to long and I had two of them both made on or very near my birth date (which is in 1947).
One of those Rifles I had turned into a full custom Hunting Rifle by the great custom Riflesmith, Dan Cowen, formerly of Renton, Washington (he is now mostly retired).
This custom Model 70 is in caliber 280 Remington and has a 25" match barrel of medium heavy sporter weight.
It is a tack driver and I have harvested all manner of Big Game around the west with it.
By the way Mr. Cowen has had four of his Rifles featured on the front covers of "Rifle magazine" over the years!
They are works of art and all made on pre-64 Model 70 actions (IIRC).
I opted for a custom fiberglass stock (as I intended to use it in SE Alaska's rain forests as well as the rain foresty country of western Washington so no wood on this one of mine).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RGK
..standard grade .30-06 from 1955... with...Lyman All-American 4X..

[Linked Image]

Bob, that rifle and scope just looks 'right' to me - can't see how you could improve it. I use newer/bigger scopes on mine because I just can't seem to find a nice clear 'period' scope, but that picture is to me a perfect M70 hunter.
Tim

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Stealthgoat, you are right about Bob's rifle being pretty sweet. However, there are plenty of good/great old vintage scopes out there. I have been using an old steel tube weaver K4 on my 270 fwt for a while now and am impressed with how clear it is and it still drives tacks at 100 yards too. Even though I don't like the 4x power range, it still works great on paper and on game (used to have it on a 22mag squirrel gun). I've had many old Leupold M8 4x and 6x scopes that were great/clear, an old original Stith Kollmorgen bear cub that was very nice. They are out there, and some at very reasonable prices. I actually pulled the Weaver k4 off my 270 fwt., as I was thinking about selling the rifle. If I end up keeping the rifle, I'm going back to a 3-9x40. Just like the variable power scopes better, I guess...

[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BSA, you won't have any trouble moving that rifle if you decide to sell - I don't even like 270 and I would want it ;-0

I looked at 6 -8 vintage scopes at last Nashvegas show, nothing was good to my eyes but I will keep looking... it's dark down in these Tennessee valleys so we like older Swaro 1.5-6x42 with #4

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That makes sense. Pretty hard to beat those Swaro's. Yeah, the 270 fwt is a damn good rifle. Probably one of the best pre 64's I've had, so it's hard to let this one go. I know I have a few guys that put in dibbs and seconds and thirds. I keep it, but my heart really likes the 30-06 more. You know the rivalry there ha ha.. blush

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RGK
Sold off all my M70s in a downsizing fit...except this one. It's a standard grade .30-06 from 1955 that will always be with me. It wears a late-manufactured Lyman All-American 4X that's clear and bright, secured in Redfield steel Jr rings from the '50's. I'll be checking my 200 yd zero tomorrow with Win 180 grain Power Points. Speaking as a lefty, this is my favorite bolt rifle...with several left-handed bolt guns in the safe. Nothing special, just another M70 .30-06 soldiering on.
Bob

[Linked Image]

That is all you need for North American hunting. The .30-06 is among the most popular small-bore calibers all over this world with ammo available anywhere.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.