Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Mint NIB from 1992 S&W 4013 single stack .40 S&W and a NIB Ruger SR1911 CMD in .45ACP on the table. Make your argument for which one gets the nod for CCW and farm duty.

Positives and negatives.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd take a 3rd Generation Smith over any 1911 because 3rd Gen Smiths always work and 1911's are a big POS.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by deflave
I'd take a 3rd Generation Smith over any 1911 because 3rd Gen Smiths always work and 1911's are a big POS.

Travis

Well, there is that... LOL! smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Travis

Travis has a way with words. But speaks the truth...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Travis

Well, that pretty much sums it up. And I agree.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like to have a bunch of magazines for any carry gun and I hate running down vintage magazines. I also dislike DA/SA guns and those with thumb safeties on the slide. I prefer .45 (or 9mm) over .40 S&W. Aside from that, the Smith sounds great. (I probably wouldn't get the Ruger, either, though.)

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Although those S&W 3rd Gen autos are extremely reliable, the mags are hard to find. And if I'm going to carry a single stack auto, it's going to be a .45. I'd have to go with the Ruger 1911 in .45 auto.
Every thing I've read & heard on the Ruger 1911's is that they are an extremely reliable 1911.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^^ Except I would like to try Ruger's LW Commander. 4.25"barrel, bushing and traditional recoil system, titanium feedramp. Not really a Ruger fan here, but this gun intrigues.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Agreed Dillonbuck. I prefer the Commander size 1911 for concealed carry, and the lightweight version is hard to beat.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I would go with the 40 cal, but I would see if you can find mags first.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
3rd. gen smith mags are always listed on ebay, but they can be spendy. Usually $40.00-$60.00/ea. Check ebay out, they have about 10 different mags on the first page I looked.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Magazines and parts can be a concern for the Smith. Not as much for the Ruger as tons of 1911 stuff is out there.

Not looking to open the caliber war of .45ACP vs. .40S&W.

If either was laying on the table, with your preferred holster/manner of carry, with plenty of mags what would you choose?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Ruger. Just because I prefer the 1911 platform over the 3rd Gen. S&W's. I shoot a 1911 better than any other Semi-auto pistol I own.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/16/16.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Neither one of those

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Easy choice. I've owned plenty of 1911s and 3rd gen Smiths and still own a number of the S&Ws. I actually do carry a 4013 TSW. It weighs around 30 oz fully loaded, holds 9 in a double stack mag (there are 2 variants of the 4013, the first variant having a single stack mag and the TSW being a double stack). My next favorite carry gun is my S&W 457S, a compact alloy frame .45 ACP. I feel well armed with either and in fact any 3rd gen S&W.

3rd gen S&W will feed, fire and eject any type of bullet reliably. It will in fact, feed an empty case. Try that on your pistol.

They are durable - in over 25 years, I've never needed to change a part or repair one and I've fired tens of thousands of rounds through various 3rd gen pistols - 9mm, .40, .45, 10mm.

They are inarguably safer to carry, with a round in the chamber.

They have a very short single action trigger reset and I have yet to encounter one that wasn't superbly accurate for it's type.

No modifications are required to get the most out of these pistols for defensive purposes, although you might want to change the recoil spring to match your favorite load. My 4013 came perfectly sprung to handle full power rounds and is quite comfortable to shoot. Accurate follow up shots are very easy, should the need arise.

Spare mags are no problem and if you shop around, can usually be found at reasonable prices. Parts...the likelihood of needing a part for one of these is almost nil. I've never had to search for a part but I have to believe that you could get whatever you need in the highly unlikely event your 3rd gen S&W breaks.

1911 is still a great and iconic design, but there are better solutions and in my experience, the 4013 is one of the best. Safe, reliable, accurate, durable, light and compact. I carry in a leather IWB and once it's on, I don't even notice it's there.

The only problem with some of the 3rd gen S&Ws is availability. But if you're lucky enough to find one, it won't break the bank. My 4013 was a police trade in (in great shape) and if I recall correctly, I paid around $340 and it came with 3 mags. If I'd known how much I'd like it, I'd have bought a couple more.

W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
For me, the choice was easy. The Smith.
It has the positives of safety, durability, size and weight.

Caliber is just fine. And it was designed from the start with a true case supporting chamber as all .40's should have.

Did not hurt that it is a NIB specimen, original owner, non PD issue piece with box and additional aftermarket grip.

It will get a range workout soon. Doubt it kicks the G26/G19 to the curb for carry, but I bet the results will impress.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Neither one of those

I agree.

I would opt for a Glock 19 in 9mm, or a Glock G30S in .45. Both are top contenders in their respective calibers/cartridges.

That said, if you don't want a Glock, there are lots of other great choices.

In the traditional double action category, the CZ-75 or a variant would be a top choice.

In .45 traditional double action, an HK 45 compact would do very well.

In single action 1911 category, unless a person is willing to step up into the custom/semi custom category, like a Les Baer or Ed Brown, I would choose a Colt every time.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Neither one of those

We agree on that.

There are lots of good choices for carry guns (besides my preferred G19), but those two ain't it.

If it were my choice, I'd pick whichever was worth more, sell it, and buy a Glock or maybe one of the CZ offerings. But that's just me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're buying, I can't see the logic in either. If you have either, or both, then they'll each/either/both work fine.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm pretty sure that everybody has owned or fired at least one 1911 variant. But I'm wondering, how many of you who are dismissive of the 4013 as a carry gun have actually handled or fired one???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fischer
I'm pretty sure that everybody has owned or fired at least one 1911 variant. But I'm wondering, how many of you who are dismissive of the 4013 as a carry gun have actually handled or fired one???

I have handled and fired 3rd generation Smiths enough to know I wouldn't buy one (now). Not that there was anything wrong with them at the time they were current. Just that there are so many better options.

The Ruger SR1911? Well - that's a matter of if you have to ask, you probably should look elsewhere. It's true that 1911's as a group are not as reliable as a lot of guns, but when they're done right, they work - and, well, if you have to ask.....
Anyway - I have yet to see or hear of any problems with the Ruger other than the initial bad run front sights. IIRC, Glock had a similar problem (and worse) early on. My SR1911 continues to run flawlessly, and I picked it up fairly early in the run.

Bottom line...between those two guns...no way I'd pay money for the Smith. The Ruger, like any other 1911.....if you don't know what makes it tick, you might want to pass.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Bottom line...between those two guns...no way I'd pay money for the Smith. The Ruger, like any other 1911.....if you don't know what makes it tick, you might want to pass. [/quote]

I think you made my point for me. The 4013 (any 3rd gen Smith) in stock form is utterly reliable. The same cannot be said for 1911s as a group. I do know what makes 1911s run. I fired my first one in 1970 and plenty more since. I bought my first 3rd gen Smith, a 4506, in 1988 and it ran rings around any pistol I'd ever fired. That one was stolen in 1990 but I replaced it and still own that one. I've handled and fired Glocks as well but have no reason to own one. My brother, retired LEO, owns two Glocks and loves them. But the Glock wasn't part of this argument. FNs, Sigs, I've owned most of them but none of them have approached the Smith in terms of reliability.

You don't need to know what makes the Smith tick. There's nothing finicky about it, no tweaking required - just load up with any bullet you like and go to work.

Last edited by Fischer; 10/18/16.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

no one is dismissive, there are just better choices currently.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I think you made my point for me. The 4013 (any 3rd gen Smith) in stock form is utterly reliable. The same cannot be said for 1911s as a group. I do know what makes 1911s run. I fired my first one in 1970 and plenty more since. I bought my first 3rd gen Smith, a 4506, in 1988 and it ran rings around any pistol I'd ever fired. That one was stolen in 1990 but I replaced it and still own that one. I've handled and fired Glocks as well but have no reason to own one. My brother, retired LEO, owns two Glocks and loves them. But the Glock wasn't part of this argument. FNs, Sigs, I've owned most of them but none of them have approached the Smith in terms of reliability.

You don't need to know what makes the Smith tick. There's nothing finicky about it, no tweaking required - just load up with any bullet you like and go to work.

Still no way I'd buy the Smith - now. If I already had one, I might keep it for nostalgic reasons, or if someone all but gave it to me....maybe. But in reality, it is about as archaic a design as the 1911. More reliable than a lot of non-spec 1911's maybe, but still just as outclassed by many newer designs.

That is why my answer for the OP would be "neither".

Last edited by FreeMe; 10/18/16.

W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
The Glock is not part of the discussion, but they always are thrown in and I know why. I carry one in various sizes and calibers often. VERY often. I even stated the Smith would probably not kick my G26/G19/G23 out of my daily rotation.

The discussion puts these two specific pistols on the kitchen table, with their mags, your preferred ammo and your chosen carry method, and gives a choice as to which would you pick to head out into the unknown.

I'm not a first-time buyer. Have a pretty good collection.
So it is not about recommendations or personal preference outside these two pistols.

I can say I'm old enough to have received good training on both the 1911A1 and traditional DA/SA autos. Some folks can't remember when anything other than Glocks have been issued for gov't or LE. That's just modern times.

All good points presented, and my next situational discussion may involve something even older against something brand new!

Last edited by WTM45; 10/18/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This. I like the 3Gen S&Ws, quite a bit, as well as the 1911. However, if buying for the purposes stated, there are better choices.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
W
WTM45 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I'd argue that either platform has proven they could handle the challenges they faced "in their day" and at one time were cutting edge technology. And would probably do the same today outside of true military combat requirements.
The improvements in the "newer" Ruger SR1911CMD maybe give it some advantage over the same 1990's Commanders available then.

Scenerio is, you find yourself unarmed... (Me? Never! LOL!) and at a friend/family member/associate's home. Something REALLY bad has happened and you have to choose from a firearm being offered from his/her collection. Even just for temporary use. I doubt anyone will simply say "no thanks" and get a knife from the kitchen butcher block and call it good.

Last edited by WTM45; 10/18/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a second generation Smith auto that had to go back for service because of hammer follow necessitating a restrike from DA. In addition, the safety lever on the right side of the gun constantly was getting loose. As I alluded to earlier, the DA/SA transition is a needless hassle, and I migrated to DAO versions of the same guns back in the day. (E.g. DAO Beretta 92/96 models.) The safety also is more difficult to deal with if I forgot to swipe it off or it got engaged accidentally, unlike the 1911 design. As an additional disadvantage, it is easy to engage the safety by accident when retracting the slide.

I'd take the Ruger. It also would be easier to offload if it didn't work out.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 10/18/16.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the Commander was a lightweight I would take it hands down.

I had lots of four digit Smiths at LE quals in the mid 90's when they were all the rage. They were decent pistols, generally better than early S&W autos. But they were not perfect and I've seen them tap-racked-banged like everything else.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WTM45

The discussion puts these two specific pistols on the kitchen table, with their mags, your preferred ammo and your chosen carry method, and gives a choice as to which would you pick to head out into the unknown.

Scenerio is, you find yourself unarmed... (Me? Never! LOL!) and at a friend/family member/associate's home. Something REALLY bad has happened and you have to choose from a firearm being offered from his/her collection. Even just for temporary use. I doubt anyone will simply say "no thanks" and get a knife from the kitchen butcher block and call it good.

Oh, so that's it. A hypothetical.....

Well, hypothetically...I would turn my nose up at the Smith and quickly disassemble the Ruger to check for any signs that it's been boogered on that kitchen table or any other. I'd put it back together and function test it - even manually cycle a couple of mags of rounds through it (assuming I have no opportunity to shoot it). Assuming I find nothing wrong with it (as I would expect if it is unmolested), I'd then load it up and get on about my business.

I'd bet even odds or better that the Ruger is as likely to run right as that old Smith. And with the 1911, at least I know what to look for and what to expect when checking it out. Besides...I'm going to shoot better with the 1911 anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Shiet I just saw that. I'll shove the Smith in a back pocket, take the 1911 in my left hand and a 12" Old Hickory in my right.

Does the guy have an axe? I don't have any friends who don't know right where their axe is.

Last edited by SargeMO; 10/18/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Shiet I just saw that. I'll shove the Smith in a back pocket, take the 1911 in my left hand and a 12" Old Hickory in my right.

Does the guy have an axe? I don't have any friends who don't know right where their axe is.

Best answer yet!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Exactly.

Quite frankly the immediate NO-GO for me is that it is a .40. Having fired a substantial amount of various duty type semi auto handguns in 9mm, .40 and .45, I have noted that the .40 is almost always the least accurate of the 3, in similar platforms. That was definitely the case for 3rd gen Smiths.

Speaking of Smiths, the full size M&P .40 I was issued had to be the all time worst shooting handgun I have ever been issued. The 25 yard targets looked like Improved Cylinder patterns.

The Compact M&P .40 I was later issued was substantially more accurate than the full size version, but it was still a piss poor shooter as compared to similar sized 9mm handguns.

In fact one day while at the range I recall telling the mouth breathing retard that was in charge of the agency's firearms program that the M&P .40s were the single worst grouping handgun I had ever had the displeasure of being forced to carry.

The dumbphuck made a comment that perhaps it was the shooter. I then went to my gear bag, pulled out a Glock 19 and put 16 rounds from the 25 yard line into the head box of the qual target.

I pointed to the target and asked him to explain the fact that the Glock could shoot 3" groups at 25 yards, but the M&P .40 was shooting 12"-15" groups at the same distance.

He would not answer the question, and went to the other end of the line.

Of course this was the same blowhard who could barely qualify, had never been in a gunfight, yet felt compelled to teach everyone his own version of "gunfighter skills", which I swear must have been based off of watching action movies.

Back to better choices...

A CZ-75 SP01 would be a nice choice if a person is allergic to polymer from Austria.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Odd... the first M&P45 fullsize I shot was not particularly accurate. Shot a fullsize 9 that was just OK. We've got two MP40c's here now and mine looks to be about 2 1/2"st 25 yards and 4-4 1/2" at 50 with decent ammo; or about equal to the best shooting fullsize Glocks I've had ahold of. I've been tempted to try a fullsize M&P40 but the sorry 45 and the lukewarm 9 I shot are still fresh in my memory.

I'll part company with you on the 40, Sagebrush. In a decent pistol it is as accurate as any other service cartridge.

Last edited by SargeMO; 10/19/16.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WTM45
Magazines and parts can be a concern for the Smith. Not as much for the Ruger as tons of 1911 stuff is out there.

Not looking to open the caliber war of .45ACP vs. .40S&W.

If either was laying on the table, with your preferred holster/manner of carry, with plenty of mags what would you choose?

You are right. That would be a hard decision. However, I'd probably take my 40 over the 45. Only because it holds 11 rounds vs. 8...
[Linked Image]

And yes, my 40 is damn accurate..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I have handled and fired 3rd generation Smiths enough to know I wouldn't buy one (now). Not that there was anything wrong with them at the time they were current. Just that there are so many better options.

The Ruger SR1911? Well - that's a matter of if you have to ask, you probably should look elsewhere. It's true that 1911's as a group are not as reliable as a lot of guns, but when they're done right, they work - and, well, if you have to ask.....
Anyway - I have yet to see or hear of any problems with the Ruger other than the initial bad run front sights. IIRC, Glock had a similar problem (and worse) early on. My SR1911 continues to run flawlessly, and I picked it up fairly early in the run.

Bottom line...between those two guns...no way I'd pay money for the Smith. The Ruger, like any other 1911.....if you don't know what makes it tick, you might want to pass.

I've been to a lot of bowling pin shoots and have shot against guys with your same attitude. I love taking your money... wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I've been to a lot of bowling pin shoots and have shot against guys with your same attitude. I love taking your money... wink

And what, exactly, is that supposed to mean?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.