Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
After every trip I make note of the things that were critical to my success as well as things that didn’t perform as well as they should have. Aside from my gun & rangefinder, the one thing that was most beneficial to me this year was my trekking poles, black diamond elliptical flick locks . The buck was over 1400’ vertical above the canyon floor and lived in cliffs and avalanche chutes. There was some snow left from a previous storm and I simply couldn’t have made it out without my trekking poles. I hauled two 65-70 lb loads to get him and my gear off the mountain and to my car, side stepping most of the way down. Between the mud in the avalanche chutes and the snow above I wouldn’t have made it. It rained on the second trip so I had the added factor of a muddy trail. I use them all the time on the way in/up and only tie them to my pack when I’m climbing through cliffs or stalking. They’ve made the “never leave” list along with the steripen, little .357, rain shelter, raincoat, super glue, reading glasses, bedroll and other essential items.

I’m considering some sort of drag bag, dragging the meat down through snow and cliffs would be a lot less hazardous than having the extra weight on my back.

Other things that worked well:
Plantar fasciitis foot compression sleeves
Bridgedale Coolmax sock liners
Cast lead bullets
Fingerless ragwool gloves
PB&J sandwich

Things that didn’t fare so well:
Asolo Fugitive GTX boots – after less than 2 years my feet were damp in spots so the gortex liners must have failed

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What would Porter Rockwell do?
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Congrats on a great buck. I am a big fan or treking poles as well. I use them when hiking the high peaks in the ADK's. they are worth their weight in gold for sure

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I normally just use 1 pole. At my age, it really helps with the balance and it's invaluable as an improvised shooting rest.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
1 or 2, they really help. We go without sometimes, but then I always have a saw blade on my hip, and we'll cut 2 right quick if need arises.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by stomatador

PB&J sandwich

The old reliable. Congrats, nice buck!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
1 or 2, they really help. We go without sometimes, but then I always have a saw blade on my hip, and we'll cut 2 right quick if need arises.
After using a 6 oz collapsible pole, a 3 lb pitch covered stick kinda loses it's appeal.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole

PB&J sandwich

I've been using soft taco/ burrito tortilla wraps for my pbj's. They get flattened in my pack anyway!!

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by tkinak

PB&J sandwich

I've been using soft taco/ burrito tortilla wraps for my pbj's. They get flattened in my pack anyway!!

I often carry a few tortillas. They're about as calorie dense as anything and almost indestructible. An added benefit is that they taste so good if I toast or warm them a bit.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice buck!! Wellsvilles? Even if not, I should have my kind end whipped for not getting to know that country better when I lived in No. UT...

Though my twist locks are still working, my next set will be flip locks. IMO/E that's a much better mousetrap.

A glove suggestion. Find a pair of untreated leather gloves that are a bit oversized. Treat them with melted beeswax. They become all but waterproof and tough as nails (break-in stinks). When it gets real cold, wear the fingerless woolies over the top of them.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I often carry a few tortillas. They're about as calorie dense as anything and almost indestructible. An added benefit is that they taste so good if I toast or warm them a bit.

Yep. and if your inflatable pad goes south, you can spread them under you sleeping bag for insulation....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Yep. and if your inflatable pad goes south, you can spread them under you sleeping bag for insulation....

And they make a passable wound dressing.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 1,962 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,368
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.