-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, I would start her with a .308 Winchester shooting lighter bullets at moderate velocities, and let her work up to 180-grain premium bullet at 2,400-2,500 fps.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Id talk to Phil but based on all that I have read/heard from him and others is that a 7mm-08 or 270 make for a sensible minimum. With premium 160s or 150s id feel fine with either one assuming she is a cool head and a good shot. My Grandfather was a longtime resident in Kodiak and killed many with a 30-06 firing factory 180grain cup and core ammo in the 30s and 40s. Never got messy.

Id assume she's a non res and will be with an outfitter...

Last edited by Seven0Eight; 10/17/16.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Lady has shot 22 rifles at lots of rabbit and squirrel. 30-06 kicks too much she said after shooting one. So maybe a little recoil shy too. Or possibly a rifle which does kick too much and with a muzzle brake. Any suggestions on what rifle to use?

Is this a troll question - or serious ? If you are serious then why not ask your Kodiak guide for their opinion ? But there is no reason that anyone, of any sex, interested and tough enough to actualy hunt bear on Kodiak should not be interested and tough enough to learn to competently handle at least a .270, 308 or 30-06.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hmm...

Sounds like a great movie plot to collect on an insurance policy?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What do you think about a 7x57 or 7/08 with premium 160s or 175s Phil?

Last edited by Seven0Eight; 10/17/16.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by test1328
I'm with Flave on this one. Get a brake put on the -06 and she'll be good to go. Will reduce felt recoil to something like a .243. Use a 180gr. TSX or similar and she should have good penetration. I would think Phil Shoemaker would probably have some good words of wisdom on this since he's dealt with a huge variety of hunters over the years and his wife and daughter could probably give some advice as well.
If someone needs a muzzle brake to shoot a rifle,it's too much for them. She would be better off with a .270,280,.308,7/08,7x57 loaded with heavy bullets and practice on rabbits. Actually,she would be better off starting with a .243,.257 Rbts,then going up to the .270,.280...etc.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seven0Eight
What do you think about a 7x57 or 7/08 with premium 160s or 175s Phil?

They would work just fine --- providing the shooter was capable.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
^ This according to one of the most world-renowned Brown Bear outfitters of all time.

Id say the 7x57 or 7/08 is your best bet for a low recoil brown bear round.

Thanks Phil...always a pleasure hearing your thoughts on all things bear related!

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe you should just let her use a Smith & Wesson Compact 9mm with Buffalo Bullets

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Get her two identical rifles, one in .223 and the other something sufficient - 30/06, .358 Win, etc. and scope them the same. Buy 1,000 rounds of .223 ammo and have her shoot the .223 until she's completely comfortable with it. With a light caliber, there's no chance she'll develop a flinch, and you can really work on developing form, working the bolt from the shoulder, shooting off sticks, etc.

When it's time for the trip, switch them out. She'll have no fear or issue shooting the larger cal, especially in an actual hunting situation. The rifle will feel and function the same as the .223 that she shot all summer.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Lady has shot 22 rifles at lots of rabbit and squirrel. 30-06 kicks too much she said after shooting one. So maybe a little recoil shy too. Or possibly a rifle which does kick too much and with a muzzle brake. Any suggestions on what rifle to use?

I'm neither a gunwriter or a guide, but I would suggest a Browning BAR in .308. If even that recoil is too much, have a brake put on it.

There's a BAR for sale here; GunBroker LINK

Load it with premium bullets, no less than a 165 gr Barnes TTSX, and go forth and kill her bear.

Loaded with 130gr TTSX, she can kill anything else in North America.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
She ain't ready to be pointing rifles at Brown Bear.

I agree, however she 'could' get ready by NEXT year.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175
Maybe you should just let her use a Smith & Wesson Compact 9mm with Buffalo Bullets

rumor has it that no matter how many decades of killing bears you have a sample sizes of one don't mean anything and, even it it did, it would probably only work on big bears at under 10 feet. So it's not something I would recommend for a hunter - or anyone with only internet experience.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
But there is no reason that anyone, of any sex, interested and tough enough to actualy hunt bear on Kodiak should not be interested and tough enough to learn to competently handle at least a .270, 308 or 30-06.

This maybe brings up another issue. Does SHE was to hunt brown bear or do YOU want her to hunt brown bear?

I'm having a hard time conjuring up the mental image of a woman who wants to go after brown bear as her first big game animal.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is very poor idea to arm bears at all, let alone with a woman's rifle. Marksmanship would suffer greatly due to the smaller size of the rifle, and his big paws.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...30-06 kicks too much she said after shooting one...

Was it a lightweight rifle? With a proper recoil pad? Did she use shoulder protection? Shot from a bench? Factory loads?

She shoots 1 unknown .30-06 and quits? Come on!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by 458Win
But there is no reason that anyone, of any sex, interested and tough enough to actualy hunt bear on Kodiak should not be interested and tough enough to learn to competently handle at least a .270, 308 or 30-06.

This maybe brings up another issue. Does SHE was to hunt brown bear or do YOU want her to hunt brown bear?

I'm having a hard time conjuring up the mental image of a woman who wants to go after brown bear as her first big game animal.

This whole thread is funny. That's what I'm conjuring up and out of it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
If you're of a gentler persuasion and all you've ever shot is a 22, it might be somewhat of a stretch to jump into a full bore 30-06 without some intermediate rounds and sufficient time to adapt to the recoil and blast.

It's much the same as adapting a youngster to a centerfire. Spend some range time with reduced recoil 30-06 loads and don't shoot full power loads off the bench without some padding between the rifle butt and the shoulder...like a shooting vest with a leather recoil pad.

I'd say the recoil of a 20 guage is near 30-06 level, and I've taken a few ladies out to the skeet range behind a 20 Guage Over/Under, and they are having so much fun trying to connect with those moving birds they'll shoot a few boxes of shells without nary a complaint, or even a thought about recoil.

But try shooting 100 rounds with a 20 guage off the bench sometime and I'll bet that more than a few guys here will have a sore shoulder the next day.

Now those girls also have been shown correct shooting form, and the importance of that cannot be over-stressed.

Once the gal has a rifle with a stock that fits her correctly, and she knows how to hold it properly, you can start her off by loading the 30-06 down to under the 30-30 level, and then work up to 308 level with a 150 Barnes TTSX and have a mild recoiling load with good performance.

Other than that option, a rifle chambered in 308 can kick 20% less than a full power 30-06. A 6.5 Creedmore will drop it down another 10% and both will still provide a lot of power when loaded with lighter Barnes Bullets...say a 150 TTSX or 120 TTSX. Those bullets will out penetrate heavier standard bullets and will get the job done if well-placed.

Whatever this gal is at right now in terms of her skill level, she needs to mature into a competent rifle(man) and be a decent shot with a rifle she is comfortable with before she goes afield to take on North America's apex predator.

Both are a life changing experience, but not before she's ready. It takes some time to develop these skills.

It doesn't sound to me that she is ready to take this on at this point, but give the lady the time she needs to grow and she'll have a good outcome.

Riflemen are made not born.

Pretty long winded post. I'm glad I wasn't babied this much by my dad and grandfather. I was shooting an 06, 20 gauge and 44 mag (smith 29) when I was 12 and loving the hell out of it.. Those were different times I guess... I've also seen guys call their sons honey. You wouldn't happen to be one of those guys, would you??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kellory
It is very poor idea to arm bears at all, let alone with a woman's rifle. Marksmanship would suffer greatly due to the smaller size of the rifle, and his big paws.

You have a great future here at the fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have distilled the essence of the matter down to the very nub! Grammar, syntax, and anatomy!

But where does the blue tape come in?

Well played!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I on the fence for a 30-06 with brake otherwise it is time for a camera. Got to work with her a lot more. Thanks for the suggestions. I like the 257 Roberts but would never suggest one use it on Kodiak bear.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 10/17/16.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.