Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lady has shot 22 rifles at lots of rabbit and squirrel. 30-06 kicks too much she said after shooting one. So maybe a little recoil shy too. Or possibly a rifle which does kick too much and with a muzzle brake. Any suggestions on what rifle to use?

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
257 Roberts.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Get s stronger lady? LOL,

OK, seriously considered this one, lady shoots a Mossberg 100 youth pretty well - it's a 243, (308 is largest chambering from factory),

So if she had to go bigger get a 308 rebarreled to a 338 Fed or 358 Win.

Rifle she's used to, fits her, and has the UMPPPHHH to get there and get the job done.

Other than that, I'm a huge fan of brakes, but not because I'm a recoil wimp - it's because a brake allows me to stay on target and see the animal's reaction to the hit.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Prolly best she uses a camera if she can't use a 30/06

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you're of a gentler persuasion and all you've ever shot is a 22, it might be somewhat of a stretch to jump into a full bore 30-06 without some intermediate rounds and sufficient time to adapt to the recoil and blast.

It's much the same as adapting a youngster to a centerfire. Spend some range time with reduced recoil 30-06 loads and don't shoot full power loads off the bench without some padding between the rifle butt and the shoulder...like a shooting vest with a leather recoil pad.

I'd say the recoil of a 20 guage is near 30-06 level, and I've taken a few ladies out to the skeet range behind a 20 Guage Over/Under, and they are having so much fun trying to connect with those moving birds they'll shoot a few boxes of shells without nary a complaint, or even a thought about recoil.

But try shooting 100 rounds with a 20 guage off the bench sometime and I'll bet that more than a few guys here will have a sore shoulder the next day.

Now those girls also have been shown correct shooting form, and the importance of that cannot be over-stressed.

Once the gal has a rifle with a stock that fits her correctly, and she knows how to hold it properly, you can start her off by loading the 30-06 down to under the 30-30 level, and then work up to 308 level with a 150 Barnes TTSX and have a mild recoiling load with good performance.

Other than that option, a rifle chambered in 308 can kick 20% less than a full power 30-06. A 6.5 Creedmore will drop it down another 10% and both will still provide a lot of power when loaded with lighter Barnes Bullets...say a 150 TTSX or 120 TTSX. Those bullets will out penetrate heavier standard bullets and will get the job done if well-placed.

Whatever this gal is at right now in terms of her skill level, she needs to mature into a competent rifle(man) and be a decent shot with a rifle she is comfortable with before she goes afield to take on North America's apex predator.

Both are a life changing experience, but not before she's ready. It takes some time to develop these skills.

It doesn't sound to me that she is ready to take this on at this point, but give the lady the time she needs to grow and she'll have a good outcome.

Riflemen are made not born.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
460 Weatherby with a Kick-Eez Pad.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Prolly best she uses a camera if she can't use a 30/06

I'm generally in this group.

30/06 with a proper fitting stock and maybe a brake - if she can't do that, it might be a realization that Kodiak bear isn't for her.

1. It's about a good, clean and humane kill of the animal.
2. It's about keeping your skin attached to your own body.
3. It's about not asking a guide to go in after something that's a killer because you had to use something not up to the job.

Hate to be blunt and no malice intended. Just saying - I couldn't live with myself if someone else got hurt because I wasn't up to the task at what's considered a consensus minimum.

I know, I know, natives been killing griz with a 22-250 their whole life but the difference is, they spent their whole life around them, know them and aren't likely to get "bear fever" when a 9 footer stands up to try and get their wind.

You owe it to your lady friend, the guide and the bear to make sure she can use a rifle with enough snort to get the job done in a less than perfect situation.

IMO.

Me

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My wife shot the Savage Lady Hunter in .243 for a couple of seasons before moving up to the same rifle in 30-06.

The worst failing of the Savage is it has a flat grip. Be warned it is a very light rifle too, we had to have both of them bedded to get them to shoot as consistently as we like.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
30-06 Browning A-Bolt SS with Boss and 200 gr Nosler Partitions . Leupold 1x4 scope

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
.270,.280, or a 7x57 loaded with Nosler Partitions or Swift A-Frames.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd recommend getting deep penetration. For the lowest recoil with the best bang for the buck laugh a 7x57 with a heavy Nosler Partition comes to mind. Get a good recoil pad and get a stock that fits her!! Consider a low power scope with a heavy post.

Have someone back her up.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/16/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think maybe she should start out with a big game animal other than a Kodiak bear. From rabbits to a Kodiak bear? Really!

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by CWT
I think maybe she should start out with a big game animal other than a Kodiak bear. From rabbits to a Kodiak bear? Really!

^^^^^^^^^^or.......

a well tuned Marlin 18" 45-70

ported......

Last edited by tikkanut; 10/16/16.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Don't guides require a minimum caliber.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would go with a 6.5 creedmoor with the 120 grain GMX superformance factory load. I shoot it in my Kimber Hunter and it get just over 3000fps in the 22 inch barrel.

Recoil is very light in my 6 pound rifle. In a 8 pound Ruger M77 with a laminated stock,it would be very mild.

As far as performance,a 6.5 monometal of 120 grains will penetrate as well as most lead core 180 grain bullets.

Lots of bears were shot in the old days with rifles like 30-30s that have less power than the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Brake.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't think that I have ever seen a post quite like this! sick

Going from bunnies to giant bears in one leap and not being able to handle a heavy-recoil rifle is asinine.

She needs to rethink her abilities with a heavy rifle, or as was stated, just take a camera.

There is no free lunch. If a rifle is good enough to handle a big bear, there will be recoil.

I think that most guides do, indeed, have minimum requirements.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm with Flave on this one. Get a brake put on the -06 and she'll be good to go. Will reduce felt recoil to something like a .243. Use a 180gr. TSX or similar and she should have good penetration. I would think Phil Shoemaker would probably have some good words of wisdom on this since he's dealt with a huge variety of hunters over the years and his wife and daughter could probably give some advice as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why the jump from rabbits to Kodiak bears. Are you looking for a rifle that she will eventually use for brown bear? I think that Boogaloo's approach has merit. Work up in recoil slowly. The '06 with a 200 grain Partition would do the job nicely or maybe a 280 with 175s with solid back up. A brake will reduce recoil but at the expense of muzzle blast which can make recoil seem worse. She needs to learn proper shot placement which is of prime importance.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
She ain't ready to be pointing rifles at Brown Bear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, I would start her with a .308 Winchester shooting lighter bullets at moderate velocities, and let her work up to 180-grain premium bullet at 2,400-2,500 fps.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Id talk to Phil but based on all that I have read/heard from him and others is that a 7mm-08 or 270 make for a sensible minimum. With premium 160s or 150s id feel fine with either one assuming she is a cool head and a good shot. My Grandfather was a longtime resident in Kodiak and killed many with a 30-06 firing factory 180grain cup and core ammo in the 30s and 40s. Never got messy.

Id assume she's a non res and will be with an outfitter...

Last edited by Seven0Eight; 10/17/16.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Lady has shot 22 rifles at lots of rabbit and squirrel. 30-06 kicks too much she said after shooting one. So maybe a little recoil shy too. Or possibly a rifle which does kick too much and with a muzzle brake. Any suggestions on what rifle to use?

Is this a troll question - or serious ? If you are serious then why not ask your Kodiak guide for their opinion ? But there is no reason that anyone, of any sex, interested and tough enough to actualy hunt bear on Kodiak should not be interested and tough enough to learn to competently handle at least a .270, 308 or 30-06.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hmm...

Sounds like a great movie plot to collect on an insurance policy?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What do you think about a 7x57 or 7/08 with premium 160s or 175s Phil?

Last edited by Seven0Eight; 10/17/16.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by test1328
I'm with Flave on this one. Get a brake put on the -06 and she'll be good to go. Will reduce felt recoil to something like a .243. Use a 180gr. TSX or similar and she should have good penetration. I would think Phil Shoemaker would probably have some good words of wisdom on this since he's dealt with a huge variety of hunters over the years and his wife and daughter could probably give some advice as well.
If someone needs a muzzle brake to shoot a rifle,it's too much for them. She would be better off with a .270,280,.308,7/08,7x57 loaded with heavy bullets and practice on rabbits. Actually,she would be better off starting with a .243,.257 Rbts,then going up to the .270,.280...etc.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seven0Eight
What do you think about a 7x57 or 7/08 with premium 160s or 175s Phil?

They would work just fine --- providing the shooter was capable.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
^ This according to one of the most world-renowned Brown Bear outfitters of all time.

Id say the 7x57 or 7/08 is your best bet for a low recoil brown bear round.

Thanks Phil...always a pleasure hearing your thoughts on all things bear related!

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe you should just let her use a Smith & Wesson Compact 9mm with Buffalo Bullets

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Get her two identical rifles, one in .223 and the other something sufficient - 30/06, .358 Win, etc. and scope them the same. Buy 1,000 rounds of .223 ammo and have her shoot the .223 until she's completely comfortable with it. With a light caliber, there's no chance she'll develop a flinch, and you can really work on developing form, working the bolt from the shoulder, shooting off sticks, etc.

When it's time for the trip, switch them out. She'll have no fear or issue shooting the larger cal, especially in an actual hunting situation. The rifle will feel and function the same as the .223 that she shot all summer.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I'm neither a gunwriter or a guide, but I would suggest a Browning BAR in .308. If even that recoil is too much, have a brake put on it.

There's a BAR for sale here; GunBroker LINK

Load it with premium bullets, no less than a 165 gr Barnes TTSX, and go forth and kill her bear.

Loaded with 130gr TTSX, she can kill anything else in North America.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
She ain't ready to be pointing rifles at Brown Bear.

I agree, however she 'could' get ready by NEXT year.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bea175
Maybe you should just let her use a Smith & Wesson Compact 9mm with Buffalo Bullets

rumor has it that no matter how many decades of killing bears you have a sample sizes of one don't mean anything and, even it it did, it would probably only work on big bears at under 10 feet. So it's not something I would recommend for a hunter - or anyone with only internet experience.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
But there is no reason that anyone, of any sex, interested and tough enough to actualy hunt bear on Kodiak should not be interested and tough enough to learn to competently handle at least a .270, 308 or 30-06.

This maybe brings up another issue. Does SHE was to hunt brown bear or do YOU want her to hunt brown bear?

I'm having a hard time conjuring up the mental image of a woman who wants to go after brown bear as her first big game animal.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is very poor idea to arm bears at all, let alone with a woman's rifle. Marksmanship would suffer greatly due to the smaller size of the rifle, and his big paws.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...30-06 kicks too much she said after shooting one...

Was it a lightweight rifle? With a proper recoil pad? Did she use shoulder protection? Shot from a bench? Factory loads?

She shoots 1 unknown .30-06 and quits? Come on!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bellydeep
But there is no reason that anyone, of any sex, interested and tough enough to actualy hunt bear on Kodiak should not be interested and tough enough to learn to competently handle at least a .270, 308 or 30-06.

This maybe brings up another issue. Does SHE was to hunt brown bear or do YOU want her to hunt brown bear?

I'm having a hard time conjuring up the mental image of a woman who wants to go after brown bear as her first big game animal.

This whole thread is funny. That's what I'm conjuring up and out of it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
If you're of a gentler persuasion and all you've ever shot is a 22, it might be somewhat of a stretch to jump into a full bore 30-06 without some intermediate rounds and sufficient time to adapt to the recoil and blast.

It's much the same as adapting a youngster to a centerfire. Spend some range time with reduced recoil 30-06 loads and don't shoot full power loads off the bench without some padding between the rifle butt and the shoulder...like a shooting vest with a leather recoil pad.

I'd say the recoil of a 20 guage is near 30-06 level, and I've taken a few ladies out to the skeet range behind a 20 Guage Over/Under, and they are having so much fun trying to connect with those moving birds they'll shoot a few boxes of shells without nary a complaint, or even a thought about recoil.

But try shooting 100 rounds with a 20 guage off the bench sometime and I'll bet that more than a few guys here will have a sore shoulder the next day.

Now those girls also have been shown correct shooting form, and the importance of that cannot be over-stressed.

Once the gal has a rifle with a stock that fits her correctly, and she knows how to hold it properly, you can start her off by loading the 30-06 down to under the 30-30 level, and then work up to 308 level with a 150 Barnes TTSX and have a mild recoiling load with good performance.

Other than that option, a rifle chambered in 308 can kick 20% less than a full power 30-06. A 6.5 Creedmore will drop it down another 10% and both will still provide a lot of power when loaded with lighter Barnes Bullets...say a 150 TTSX or 120 TTSX. Those bullets will out penetrate heavier standard bullets and will get the job done if well-placed.

Whatever this gal is at right now in terms of her skill level, she needs to mature into a competent rifle(man) and be a decent shot with a rifle she is comfortable with before she goes afield to take on North America's apex predator.

Both are a life changing experience, but not before she's ready. It takes some time to develop these skills.

It doesn't sound to me that she is ready to take this on at this point, but give the lady the time she needs to grow and she'll have a good outcome.

Riflemen are made not born.

Pretty long winded post. I'm glad I wasn't babied this much by my dad and grandfather. I was shooting an 06, 20 gauge and 44 mag (smith 29) when I was 12 and loving the hell out of it.. Those were different times I guess... I've also seen guys call their sons honey. You wouldn't happen to be one of those guys, would you??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kellory
It is very poor idea to arm bears at all, let alone with a woman's rifle. Marksmanship would suffer greatly due to the smaller size of the rifle, and his big paws.

You have a great future here at the fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have distilled the essence of the matter down to the very nub! Grammar, syntax, and anatomy!

But where does the blue tape come in?

Well played!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I on the fence for a 30-06 with brake otherwise it is time for a camera. Got to work with her a lot more. Thanks for the suggestions. I like the 257 Roberts but would never suggest one use it on Kodiak bear.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 10/17/16.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I got multiple rifles for her to try. Best thing is bear will not happen this year. Training can continue for a while yet. Got her on 243 100 bullets now shooting coyotes. Next maybe the 7mm-08 120 grain then 140 grain. Hardest part is making sure the rifle fits. I want to try deer and antelope next. As long as she is having fun and stays excited.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Several springs ago I was stopped by a tiny, young female flagger in the middle of nowhere, AK. She was obviously lonely and we had to wait for a long, long bit for the pilot car to come back.

She was anxious to show us the picture of her Kodiak bear, shot just a couple months earlier. It was her first big game animal and her father's gift (at her request) for her high school graduation. She did not weigh over a hundred pounds nor make it to five feet.

She was very happy about every aspect of her hunt, her trophy, and her accomplishment.

I take nothing away from the fact it was her first big game animal...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cindy Rhodes, all 4'10 or 11 inches of her killed an all-time top ten B&C Kodiak bear in full charge with a 7x57, on video.

It is well worth looking up on YouTube.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Were I looking at getting a special rifle for the hunt it would be either a 7-08 or a 7x57. It would be using a TTSX in either 120 or 110gr weight for the actual hunt.

To teach her how to shoot it well I would load hundreds of squib loads and have her shooting EXACTLY the same rifle she will hunt with. She would shoot at least a box a day off the bench at paper to let her know the rifle will place bullets in TINY groups, exactly where she aims.

At the same time she would be shooting far more rounds at all sorts of targets at all sorts of distances... clay pigeons work very well for long range, accessible targets.

And shooting sticks would see a lot of use...

Phuque porting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Full bore loads would be introduced at the hunt, only! She will have no clue after shooting her Kodiak bear that the loads she shot in practice were less than the loads she just shot her magnificent bear with.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck a 260 Remington or 270 Winchester loaded with a 140gr partition or 130gr Tsx for the 260 or 140gr tsx for the 270 would do it or the nosler e-tip work just fine too. But a 7-08 loaded with 150gr partition or 150gr tsx would work just fine..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Riley shot a Kenai Penn brown bear with a 25-06 and 80gr TTSX... Both shots were 100% incompatible with continued cardiac health...

But I would prefer a little bigger hole...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Found the video of B&C Kodiak bear. Thanks Sitka deer. Looks like the 7 X 57 got the job done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Cindy Rhodes, all 4'10 or 11 inches of her killed an all-time top ten B&C Kodiak bear in full charge with a 7x57, on video.

Ya, but Cindy is mean as a snake! I tried to order fries with my burger one day, when the fryer was shut down. After her response, I think I know what that bear felt like, as the sear on her 7x57 released! grin

Jeff

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
You expect too much.Start her on Deer with a 223.If she shows the inclination then proceed to larger game and larger rounds.I started my wife out with a 22-250.She worked her way up to a 30-06.She said if she would have used the 30-06 first,she probably would have quit shooting.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Anyone have a link for Cindy's bear? Can't find it on youtube.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Heidi Gutfrucht used to carry a 25-06 with plain old Rem 120gr ammo as a grizzly bear guide. If it worked for her...

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=339&magid=25

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by akjeff

Ya, but Cindy is mean as a snake! I tried to order fries with my burger one day, when the fryer was shut down. After her response, I think I know what that bear felt like, as the sear on her 7x57 released! grin

Jeff

Yeah, she is a bit crusty...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Think old....... 30-40 Krag ...... 1 in 10 twist ..... handles heavy bullets well (up to 220gr) ...... kick not that bad ..... cut the stock to fit ..... nice thick recoil pad ...... drill a hole in the stock and install a recoil reducer....... cut the barrel if need be...... it's been killing sheit for almost 120yrs :):):)

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The problem isn't picking a rifle or that a 30-06 kicks too much. The problem is the lady does not know how to shoot. Get someone who knows how to teach her.

Plenty of women shoot Cape Buffalo. The minimum legal caliber is .375 H&H in most places where you find them.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by akjeff

Jeff

Yeah, she is a bit crusty...

But in a good "colorful" way. I kinda miss the place. They hosted a Friends of the NRA banquet about 10 years ago or so, and we happened to be working out of Glennallen at the end of a long stretch of 7x12+ hour days. We all were in need of blowing off a little steam, and we had a ball there. They did a great job, and put out a pretty decent prime rib.

Sorry for the highjack......back to our regularly scheduled program!

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bellydeep

Yep!

I've hunted with my wife for quite a few years. My first son hunted his first moose on his own tag at the age of 10. (I started him shooting a 270 #1-A to get ready for moose hunting, switching from light 100 grain loads, to heftier loads of the same bullet. And he shot heavy charges of H4831 with 140 A-Frames for hunting.) Six years later, I'd take him bear hunting, but my wife probably won't ever be ready. Bears aren't the same as shooting apples.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Anyone got a link to Cindy's hunt? Could not find on YouTube.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
The problem isn't picking a rifle or that a 30-06 kicks too much. The problem is the lady does not know how to shoot. Get someone who knows how to teach her.

Plenty of women shoot Cape Buffalo. The minimum legal caliber is .375 H&H in most places where you find them.

Because I have zero African experience and can only go on Alaskan stuff and the thoughts of friends that have done the African thing I am not sure how to take the Legend of the Cape Buffalo...

I have seen Kodiak bears take ridiculous poundings and keep going... and die like a light switch was flipped with a single modest bullet through the shoulders...

But I do know a lot about rifle stock geometry. A modestly weighted 375H&H is a pussycat compared to a light 338WM. The H&H will shove while the 338 will twist, kick, thrash, and pulverize.

A proper 30-06 with a properly-fitted stock is ideal, IMO&E... and training by someone that really understands the issues is important... short of that a more modest rifle will absolutely kill a huge bear reliably, but simply requires a better back-up.

Training with modest loads in the exact rifle to be used is important... the only shell game is the full loads at the Day of Reckoning.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not really sure about this whole thread, but I was thinking a 9.3X62. It is a bit heavier rifle for the most part, that will cut the recoil. It does not kick much more than a 30-06, more of a stout push that a kick. My wife (5' 120#) has a Remington model 7 youth 7mm08. Frankly that rifle is very light and kicks sharply from the bench. Especially with heavy bullets. The 9.3X62 is much better suited for a Kodiak bear.. I would not want to put my wife in such a situation. Up to you and your guide. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tikkanut

a well tuned Marlin 18" 45-70

ported......

While I'm not much of a lever guy, in this case that was the 1st thing that came to mind. A relatively mild load with a fairly large diameter heavy bullet.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sitka Deer;
Good evening to you Art, I trust this finds you and your fine family well tonight.

As you likely know about me, I've never waded into the pucker brush for anything larger than a decent sized interior black bear - so I'm in no way commenting on what might or might not work on coastal grizzly.

I can say however with a great degree of certainty and confidence that many if not most of the guides I know and have talked to absolutely HATE braked rifles.

It puts them in danger of receiving long term, permanent hearing damage - I know of more than one case where this has occurred.

Personally I had enough poor experience with them at the rifle range that I don't really like them much myself, but absolutely do acknowledge there are reasons for using them - arthritis or permanent muscle damage in the shoulder comes to mind.

Anyway if anyone out there does choose to do a guided hunt with a ported rifle, please be extra careful of their hearing and thanks in advance.

All the best to you and yours Art and good luck on your remaining hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dwayne
I have braked two rifles and will never do another... I happened to get a heavy dose of muzzleblast on this year's moose hunt... and know I will be paying for it.

I would rather a 308 than a braked 300WM for those I hunt around.
art

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sore shoulders heal within days -- but hearing damage lasts forever

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sore shoulders heal within days -- but hearing damage lasts forever

WORD!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
wish I could hear the WORD...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

All it takes is opening your heart to Jesus.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 with slow poke factory ammo pushing 405 grain slugs is quite pleasant to shoot and will probably put down any north American land animal.

Hop it up though, and it demands one's attention.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
My Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 with slow poke factory ammo pushing 405 grain slugs is quite pleasant to shoot and will probably put down any north American land animal.

Hop it up though, and it demands one's attention.

Short range pumpkin heavers kill fine up close... a wounded bear getting away over the next ridge is quite safe though...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steelhead

All it takes is opening your heart to Jesus.

touche'

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I suggest this lady should stay home and....BAKE COOKIES!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This lady, all 110 pounds of her, is my daughter, who also happens to be an Alaskan registered guide and she can both bake cookies and hunt bears !

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd get her a lightweight 358 with a soft recoil pad. She'd love it.

LOL
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This lady, all 110 pounds of her, is my daughter, who also happens to be an Alaskan registered guide and she can both bake cookies and hunt bears !

[Linked Image]

Musta got her looks from her Mom... laugh

Nice bruin. Yeah, bet she does know a thing or two about bears... cool

DF

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Stick a brake on a .308 that has a stock cut to fit her.

My daughter has been shooting braked .308s for a while now and never even mentions recoil.

The low recoil, and easy shooting characteristics allow her to place a bullet precisely.

[Linked Image]

Bullet entrance, right where she was instructed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Mack, every time I see those pictures of your daughter I am struck by the smile in her eyes.

It speaks volumes about her priorities and you.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thank you Sir!

She is quite the mountain hunter....

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I told you she had her priorities right!

Rest, eat, drink, and pee when you can, you might not get the chance later. grin

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

[Linked Image]

A very impressive photo!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Phil's photos never disappoint.

Me

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Awesome pictures of the ladies.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
She has absolutely no business hunting dangerous game if she cannot handle a rifle of adequate power.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunswizard
She has absolutely no business hunting dangerous game if she cannot handle a rifle of adequate power.

Hmmmm... just hmmmm...

Did you actually read the thread?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
WTF does it matter to you? You always post your negative chit DILLIGAF.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There was an interesting article in a gun mag about designing the perfect rifle cartridge combo for just such a purpose. They ended up with a Browning BAR ported for the .416x338 cartridge.

I wouldn't go below a .270 and the 9.3x64 gets a lot done without intolerable recoil. Hal Waugh would carry a .358 Win. carbine at times and the .350 Rem Mag could certainly and has got her done.

So get her used to something 30 cal. or more or get a nice camera. A 308 Winchester at close range is just as deadly as a 30-06 at 100 yards further out. Use a good bullet and there should be no worries.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.308 Winchester is the answer here AFAIC.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Bugger
I'd recommend getting deep penetration. For the lowest recoil with the best bang for the buck laugh a 7x57 with a heavy Nosler Partition comes to mind. Get a good recoil pad and get a stock that fits her!! Consider a low power scope with a heavy post.

Have someone back her up.

Good advice here.

I would think a 160 to 175 gr Partition, A-Frame or TSX would do the job.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Stick a brake on a .308 that has a stock cut to fit her.

My daughter has been shooting braked .308s for a while now and never even mentions recoil.

The low recoil, and easy shooting characteristics allow her to place a bullet precisely.

[Linked Image]

Bullet entrance, right where she was instructed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great-lookin' kid, Mac! And the happiness in her smile tells me she's really enjoying her hunting time with her dad.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mac, it looks like you raised a real hunter. I am always surprised how many men feel threatened by women who not only can hunt, but actually love it.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife and I hunted bear for 10 days on Kodiak this spring.

She was able to take this bear on day 8 at 180 yards with a 180 grain out of her 20" barreled .308 win.

9.5' square. I was hoping to get to play back up but no such luck. Through the vitals and down in the brush. By the time I decided to waltz into the brush it rolled into 10 feet below where she shot it 15 minutes later it was dead.

No drama is a good thing when walking into brush after bears wink

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Congratulations! That's a really nice bear!

Now all you need is 100 sq ft of wall space... grin

Ed

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
My wife and I hunted bear for 10 days on Kodiak this spring.

She was able to take this bear on day 8 at 180 yards with a 180 grain out of her 20" barreled .308 win.

9.5' square. I was hoping to get to play back up but no such luck. Through the vitals and down in the brush. Was dead by the time I decided to waltz into the brush were it rolled into 10 feet below it 15 minutes after she shot it.

No drama is a good thing when walking into brush after bears wink

[Linked Image]

Nice! What bullet?

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.