Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#11509035 10/16/16
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Taking the kids camping/hunting this next week.

Hope to be out for about 4 nights. Backpacking in, but not with perfect backpacking gear (bigger tent, more supplies than I'd like as I am taking in a couple youngsters).

I am looking for some more easy to pack and prepare food.

Already planning on a stack or tortillas, PB, oatmeal, summer sausage and salami.

What are some of your food suggestions? My kids are 11 and 13. I will have a jetboil and plan on a regular campfire. I don't want to haul in a lot of pans etc.

TIA

Montana MOFO
BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Bring some pre-cooked foil packet meals for the first night. You can even use left overs. Make the danged kids carry them wink

Put them in the freezer the night before and they shoudl be thawed and easy to warm up on the first night you are there with the fam.

I like to mix fried garlic rice, diced onions and tomatoes, and chopped up chicharron (deep fried pork bellies). I bring a small lemon and squeeze it on as I eat with a spoon - less complicated because everything is pre-cut.

Last edited by alukban; 10/16/16.
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I am all about what we call hobo food. Anything you can wrap in foil and toss in the coals to heat up.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mtn House. I tell my kids, though they are younger than yours, that it's what Astronauts eat! wink And lots and lots of Halloween sized candy bars.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Mtn House meals do work well. Just make sure they meet your calorie needs.
I use Off The Farm Trail Bars along with Nature Valley Fruit and Nut Granola Bars for day time food. Instant Oatmeal and coffee for breakfast. E

IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My backpacking food has to be lightweight, nonperishable, easy to prepare over camp stove and easy to clean up;
1. Mountain House Freeze-dried meals
2. Cup-O-Noodles
3. Instant Oatmeal (I like Quaker Fruit & Cream)
4. Folgers Coffee Singles
5. Tortillas
6. Beef Jerky
7. Trail Mix
8. Tang
9. Breakfast Cereal and nonfat dry milk

Some things take a little more time and are just a tiny bit heavier;
1. Velveeta Shells & Cheese + can of ham
2. S.O.S. - White Gravy Mix + Slider Rolls + Summer Sausage
3. Chicken Casserole (Knorr Chicken Casserole Mix + can of Chicken)

Enjoy

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The steel cut oatmeal will stay with you longer than the instant.Takes a few more minutes to make,but well worth it.Add a pack of the flavored instant or a bit of brown sugar.

I tried that Mountain House stuff on pack trip this past summer.I took one of each of the four dinners they market. One of the four was alright.None were great.One pack was not enough for one,and two were too many.Way over priced at $9-$11 per pack for what they tasted like.

I'd sure test them out on your kids before the trip.Kids usually have a better sense of taste than adults.

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/17/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heck, mountain house meals are freaking tasty as hell.
I really like the following:

Lasagne
Chicken breast with taters, and
Sweet and sour pork.
Chicken and dumplings,
Beef stew

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don't forget the Tabasco..

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by conrad101st

Lasagne
Sweet and sour pork.
Chicken and dumplings,
Beef stew

Mtn House spaghetti is the best of all........

I always take at least one spaghetti meal.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My 11 year old loves MH biscuits and gravy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stove Top stuffing and foil pack chicken
Idaho Mashed potatoes
Granola and Nido powdered milk
Justins Almond Butter packets- Vanilla or Maple on a tortilla
Mountain House Chicken salad on a tortilla with a mustard packet
Peanut butter, bacon and honey sandwich

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I love MH, until about day 4...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
MH is okay. I prefer Alpine Aire. However, I think I'm going to have to try the stuff this soon. Looks delicious - http://www.heatherschoice.com/

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
MH is a lot less expensive if you buy the #10 can and then put it in your own Ziploc bags in the portions you want.

It is about half the price!

On amazon for example, the #10 can comes out to about $2.29/cup as compared to $4.70/cup for the pouch.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Calvin
I love MH, until about day 4...

laugh

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I eat MH and feel like crap for at least 12 hours. I refuse to eat it. I eat Heather's Choice and feel as if I ate mom's cooking. There's two I like a lot; Dark Chocolate Chili and Ethiopian Dor Wat. One complaint is that they are on the spicy side. Chipotle Cherry Chili is aweful. I spit out the first bite and tossed it.

C
C
+ 1 for Mountain House.

I buy em from Camper Saver and get em posted to Australia because they are far cheaper than the freeze dried here.

They do get old after 3 or 4 days though.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The steel cut oatmeal will stay with you longer than the instant.Takes a few more minutes to make,but well worth it.Add a pack of the flavored instant or a bit of brown sugar.

I tried that Mountain House stuff on pack trip this past summer.I took one of each of the four dinners they market. One of the four was alright.None were great.One pack was not enough for one,and two were too many.Way over priced at $9-$11 per pack for what they tasted like.

I'd sure test them out on your kids before the trip.Kids usually have a better sense of taste than adults.

Another side to this... never paid anywhere near that price, usually buy them in bulk around 6-7 each. Did see them in rural AK around 11 a pack though...

There are some that are not all that great, but depedns on how picky you are. There are a lot of them we really like. Like I said we are not food snobs though.

Chicken and rice, beef stronganoff, chicken and noodles, some kind of jambalaya, lasagna are a few that really go well. Beef stew too.

Wife and I eat one between us. In fact I can NOT eat one by myself ever. Its just to much. If we have to pack a moose out on our backs or such we might eat more. But we eat something like oatmeal in the AM, mountain house at noonish, and then sausage/crackers/cheese, snacks before bed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by conrad101st

Lasagne
Sweet and sour pork.
Chicken and dumplings,
Beef stew

Mtn House spaghetti is the best of all........

I always take at least one spaghetti meal.

Casey

That and beef Stroganoff.

One thing I'm going to try next trip is cooked bacon, vacuum-sealed. I've heard it's good and lasts a good while.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
299 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 2,008 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.