Campfire Outfitter
E
Whats the opinion on Nikon scopes

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My Monarch 3 was a pretty serviceable scope, but Nikon CS was abysmal. It went down the road.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree with that.

I used to work for the LGS and sent in a number of Nikon products for customers. Their CS sucked donkey balls, and their warranty was worthless.

Thats been awhile, they may have changed, but its hard to get a leopard to change its spots..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have several scopes. The Monarch 3 5-20X44 is almost as good as the Bushnell 6500 and Leupold VX-6. But the one I will stick with is the Bushnell because it has hydrophobic lens coating. The Nikon above is for sale now after one season of hunting.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The older Monarch UCC line is one of my favorite bang-for-the-buck scope lines. The 3-9x40s can be found in the $175 range. I'm not as wild about the newer versions.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a Nikon M-223 1-4 to top one of my ar's with. It's an ok scope, but I'd rather have a SWFA SS.

E
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
E
I been using tasco Simmons and Bushnell got a 4-12 buck master for my 270 thought it would be an upgrade for low light

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I been using tasco Simmons and Bushnell got a 4-12 buck master for my 270 thought it would be an upgrade for low light

Depends on what model scopes you've been using. All manufacturers make low, medium, and high end scopes. Tasco gets a bad rap, but their EuroClass and Titan lines from many years ago were great Japanese optics. Bushnell's Elite models are excellent. The lower level models sold at Wal-Mart are mediocre at best.

Up until a few years ago, the Buckmasters line was Nikon's mid-level offering. Prostaff was below, Monarch above. The Buckmasters II line is now Nikon's budget level scope. It will be significantly better that the budget level scopes of the brands you mentioned, but not as good as some of the upper level models, especially the Bushnell Elite scopes.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I see better out of some other brands in the same price class.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by cdb

I just picked up 2 of the Prostaff 7s and they were better the then the Vortex Viper HST and HS LR I had originally decided to throw on a couple of savage 308s I bought. I have a regular prostaff on my 220 slug gun and it works fine and has held up to the recoil and is dead nuts on every time I check it. The tracking on the ones I have is pretty damn good.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I was a big user of Nikon scopes until I learned how anti-gun Nikon Corp is. The Sport Optics division is treated like a step child. All my Nikon scopes went down the road.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree with that.

I used to work for the LGS and sent in a number of Nikon products for customers. Their CS sucked donkey balls, and their warranty was worthless.

Thats been awhile, they may have changed, but its hard to get a leopard to change its spots..

i have acquired several nikon scopes over the years from various trades. two where pre Monarch models the other was a Monarch model. the older two had tracking issues and i called Nikon's CS about them. i told them how i got them and that they had no papers, it didn't matter the guy said. he told me to just send them in. i did and within a couple of weeks they sent me brand new Monarch replacements. on the Monarch model i had there was a dent in the tube at the transition of the Objective bell to the tube. again i explained i was not the original owner and that it is obviously not a mfr defect. again Nikon told me it doesn't matter, send it in. once again in a couple weeks they sent me a brand new scope. all of this has been over the last few years so in answer to your post it seems they have changed for the better. i do know that their warranty on any of their electronic optic devices (range finders and such) is a whole different story.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I send in an old beat to Hell pre Monarch 3x9x40 I picked up on trade...They send me a new Monarch 3 side focus no questions ask....Great customer service.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think heir CS has improved.
I really like my monarch and pro staff scopes. For the money The pro staffs are hard to beat when they are on specials/sale..

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bryguy
Originally Posted by cdb

I just picked up 2 of the Prostaff 7s and they were better the then the Vortex Viper HST and HS LR I had originally decided to throw on a couple of savage 308s I bought. I have a regular prostaff on my 220 slug gun and it works fine and has held up to the recoil and is dead nuts on every time I check it. The tracking on the ones I have is pretty damn good.

Not trying to be a jerk but would like to know what your point is?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by cdb

the point was that I am the same as you.....I have heard people rave about the Vortex vipers in the HS line so I bought a couple and found they were not a scope for me.......but the Nikon Prostaffs TO MY eyes are good glass and work well. Optics are a personal thing and that is why I always try to put my hands on a scope or Binoc before I buy it......so I can see for myself how it works for me.

Last edited by bryguy; 10/20/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bryguy,

I agree with you. So far I have not seen a Vortex I would buy.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have an older Buckmaster that has been a great scope. I don't like the company image, for sure, and I really dislike their attempt at a bullet drop reticle. The circles suck.

The glass seems pretty good, though.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad to hear their CS has improved. I had a horrible experience with them about 10 years ago with a scope I bought new.

That being said I like their Monarch and Prostaff lines for good glass at their respective price points.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cdb
Originally Posted by cdb

the point was that I am the same as you.....I have heard people rave about the Vortex vipers in the HS line so I bought a couple and found they were not a scope for me.......but the Nikon Prostaffs TO MY eyes are good glass and work well. Optics are a personal thing and that is why I always try to put my hands on a scope or Binoc before I buy it......so I can see for myself how it works for me.

I understand now. It looked in print like I was being a jerk but I really wasn't trying to be, just needed some clarification.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 21 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.