Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
© REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji/File Photo A Samsung Electronics' Galaxy Note 7 new smartphone is displayed at its store in Seoul
The Federal Aviation Administration officially banned Galaxy Note 7s from being brought onto airplanes earlier this week, and under a new Emergency Restriction / Prohibition Order, it’s now a federal crime to fly with the device.
The FAA issued Emergency Restriction/Prohibition Order No. FAA-2016- 9288 on Friday, which states that as of noon on October 15, fliers are prohibited from bringing the device onto an aircraft. The order restricts passengers from carrying the phone "on their person, in carry-on baggage, in checked baggage, or as cargo," and says that anyone who inadvertently brings one on a plane must power it down immediately. Carriers are also required to "deny boarding to a passenger in possession" of the phone.
Passengers who bring a Note 7 onto a plane are "subject to civil penalties of up to $179,933 for each violation for each day they are found to be in violation (49 U.S.C. 5123)," and could be prosecuted, which could "result in fines under title 18, imprisonment of up to ten years, or both (49 U.S.C. 5124)."

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ive got nothing to worry about. I dont own one and never have been on a plane laugh

Last edited by TLB2; 10/16/16.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Somebody will sue Samsung over this--and they will win. Samsung is in a world of hurt when their new "flagship" product is banned from traveling.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Tough for you I guess if you are caught on the outbound leg of a flight with your phone. UPS it back to yourself I guess?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by K1500
UPS it back to yourself I guess?

UPS and Fedex can't take them as air cargo either. They can still truck them.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I worked for a year and a half with very senior Samsung folks in Korea and make no mistake heads are rolling, if not dying.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
R&D should have caught this before the rollout. Chinese batteries?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by las
R&D should have caught this before the rollout. Chinese batteries?

You can bet they saw this in testing but the bean counters crunched the numbers and decided it wasn't bad enough to halt production. They were wrong.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One thing I read said there's some sort of "quick charge" option on these phones - causing the issue.

Dunno. Back when I was racing RC cars seriously - I never quick charged anything, I rather had more batteries instead.

Always put them in a burn bag too tho never had any problems.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
I worked for a year and a half with very senior Samsung folks in Korea and make no mistake heads are rolling, if not dying.

Samsung is like 20+% of Korea's GDP, I bet they're rolling....

Me

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
How to start a rumor: "Did you know Samsung didn't contribute to Hillary's campaign?"

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Somebody will sue Samsung over this--and they will win. Samsung is in a world of hurt when their new "flagship" product is banned from traveling.
Samsung's problem comes from the fact that their batteries do catch on fire. Just a few weeks ago, there was a fire on a plane on the ground when a guy turned off his tablet and it burst into flame. I'm glad to see them banned until they can prove that the problem is fixed and all sold ones have been replaced.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Lithium ion batteries like those that power the Samsung note 7 are one of the biggest issues in aviation safety right now. They are prone to spontaneously catching fire when overheated and it's often really hot on the ramp areas of airports. Once on fire they're very hard to put out, especially in the confines of a cargo hold with no crew access. UPS had a 747 crash in Dubai back in 2010 that was the result of lithium ion batteries that caught fire.

Lithium ion batteries power almost every electronic device out there nowadays so banning them on aircraft is impossible. I'm a pilot for a cargo airline and carry them all the time. We have certain procedures for handling them and they're only allowed in certain places on the aircraft to help mitigate the risks. They still concern me more than almost any other safety issue right now. Lithium ion batteries worry me much more than terrorism to be honest.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
How to start a rumor: "Did you know Samsung didn't contribute to Hillary's campaign?"

Genius!

Carpe' Scrotum
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
LMFAO the Koreans stole technology from Apple and paid a pittance in a settlement and their POS phones catch on fire Boo Hoo. I have/had samsung appliances POS apparently the only thing they make right are LED tv's

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by teal
One thing I read said there's some sort of "quick charge" option on these phones - causing the issue.

Dunno. Back when I was racing RC cars seriously - I never quick charged anything, I rather had more batteries instead.

Always put them in a burn bag too tho never had any problems.

Guy here lost his house in a fire due to charging RC batteries in the garage..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Would charge them in something like this, on a ceramic plate

[Linked Image]

2 heats and a main - I had 6 battery packs ready to go.

Me

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I had both an original Note 7 and then an exchanged Note 7. Neither hardly got warm when charging even on the quick charger. But, I was traveling last week with it and decided on the spur of the moment to go ahead and trade it in when I walked past an AT&T store. About 2 hours after I did the exchange I got a text message saying they were totally banned on planes. Lucky timing on my part!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I bought a EGO blower for use around the yard and garage the other day. It has a lithium ion battery, the charger has a fan that cools down the battery while charging. I told my wife I am going to put the battery in a steel box in the garage when not using it grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (222ND, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.