Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If it's around, SS will be used to pay a few hunts a year, at best. Who knows what the world will be like 30 years.

I plan on having a diversified portfolio that includes cash, stocks/bonds, land, several businesses, boat/commercial fishing permits, a rental or two, and being completely debt free.

Making good progress towards those goals.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by EdM
Precisely why I never figured SS into my retirement.

I assumed it would be bankrupt before I received any of MY money that I and my employer put away for MY retirement. Well, so far its still alive. I am taking mine at age 66, starting next February.
I believe it will become "means" tested eventually and productive working and saving citizens will be told, "you really don't need your SS, so we are giving it to someone who needs it."

some of it already is "means tested" so to speak.
the premium for part A of medicare isn't the same for everyone.
below certain income levels, it cost you nothing.
above certain income levels, you can pay two or three times the average.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
retired 5 years ago and never planned on getting a dime from SS.

But I will be 62 in a couple months. A couple weeks from now I'm gonna stroll my old bony azz in the SS office and sign up. NEW GUN MONEY! (don't tell hitlery that!)

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
There are several members here who seem to always "pooh pooh" posts about investing and the stock market as a complete waste of time. For those of us who have taken the time to learn how to use the market to plan for our financial needs when we retire or can no longer work, we consider social security as just a portion of our entire plan. As I mentioned in another thread about annuities (which also received it's share of "pooh poohs,") one of the basics of retirement planning is having enough "secure lifetime income" to cover the bare necessities of life such as food, clothing, and shelter/utilities. Social Security is one source of secure lifetime income, that may or may not cover the bare necessities. Shortfalls need to be covered by other sources of secure lifetime income, such as annuities. Stock Market portfolios are not considered secure, hence one should not count on them for secure lifetime income necessities. For those of us who did not do an adequate job of financial planning, and we find ourselves with only Social Security in retirement, then we are going to be dependent on others (family, church, local charities, a job as a Wal-Mart greeter, or AMWAY, etc) to make up any shortfalls. We can't legitimately "blame" the feds for not providing all of our required "secure lifetime income" now, can we?

No i can't blame them for everything, but i can blame them for screwing me on a regular basis. when i did the numbers on social security my crossover date was around age 72, where delaying vs. early payment would cross over. I also continued to work and still do while getting the check. I was real happy when i turned 66 so they can't take back any of the social security regardless of what i make. I don't rely on social either, given i have been in the markets since the 70's. I just hope i live long enough to get back all that i paid in.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
They can't talk about it because there's no good news. Gary Johnson has offered an earnest assessment of what has to happen, but no one likes hearing it.

Why do people have such a hard time admitting the government is robbing them under the guise of social security taxes?

The only way to handle these ongoing problems with government theft is to end the taxation. Social security was never a good idea. It will never work. Putting 10% of in an index fund on the other hand...Shoot if nothing else, most people can just take their income tax refund and put it in a Roth IRA. Income tax refunds are not taxed. You'll get it back un-taxed when you retire. That's 10% or better of gross income for a lot of people.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If I understand it correctly, the reason for decreasingly smaller C.O.L.A, figures over recent years is because of changes made to goods and services the government uses to adjust the annual C.P.I. to allow for changes in inflation.

Some believe the methods, goods, and services govt. uses to calculate C.P.I. have been changed purposely to downplay the true inflation rate and don't actually reflect what the average consumer normally buys.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
You can whine about the supposed shortfalls of Social Security or you can take responsibility for your own financial well being. SS was never meant to cover all your needs in retirement - it is only a buffer.

Start preparing for retirement early. Own your home, eliminate debt and save like you mean it.

Nice when it works but it doesn't always work that way. I had a great job, made OK money and except for the house was debt free and was definitely right side up on the house. 40K was beating the odds and starting to look good. Went to work feeling great, lifted one thing to many and back went snap, crackle, pop and I was an inch plus shorter in three weeks. No way to repair it, no surgery recommend and not released to work for five and a half years and that work release was forged. I came out of all that with no house, no 401K and thank God no debt but darned little left.

While I agree with what you have said and was working hard on the plan I started all over at 57 with a rather limiting disability and could never return to my trade. Try to find work when your are 57 and have not worked for five and a half years because of an inoperable back injury and see how fast you sterling work record and you qualifications go straight down the tube.

Other medical problems forced my retirement at 62. Now at 67 I have no income except for SS and VA who is on the hook for something that happened while on active duty.

I agree with your advice and wish you and everyone like you who practices financial responsibility the best but do not get to proud as it can all come tumbling down in less that a second.

Now before someone jumps my case for this post let me say this is not a pity me post. We are doing OK and I am not bitching about our conditions. If there is a COLA this year for SS and VAD we will get a little raise but if there is not like last year we will still be fine. I can still pay my rent even though it will likely increase again and I can still sit on my deck and have a good cigar when the mood catches me. If we continue to put a little aside we might even make another Campfire get together next year. smile

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by joken2
If I understand it correctly, the reason for decreasingly smaller C.O.L.A, figures over recent years is because of changes made to goods and services the government uses to adjust the annual C.P.I. to allow for changes in inflation.

Some believe the methods, goods, and services govt. uses to calculate C.P.I. have been changed purposely to downplay the true inflation rate and don't actually reflect what the average consumer normally buys.

Government pay raises can break a guy. I remember in the the real early 70s I was an E-4 in the navy with a wife and one kid. W got an across the board pay raise. It was big news all over Hawaii where I was stationed at the time. My rent went up something like 25 bucks and milk at the commissary went up a quarter a gallon. My raise was less that five bucks. It sure was a big help.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A three dollar raise humm? Means they'll take another eleven dollars out for Medicare.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the government defaults on what they owe me, I'll have to start making bank withdrawals- with a 45.

IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by shortleade
retired 5 years ago and never planned on getting a dime from SS.

But I will be 62 in a couple months. A couple weeks from now I'm gonna stroll my old bony azz in the SS office and sign up. NEW GUN MONEY! (don't tell hitlery that!)

If you haven't already signed up yet you better get busy if you want to start getting a check anytime soon. It's easy to do on line.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Scott F
You can whine about the supposed shortfalls of Social Security or you can take responsibility for your own financial well being. SS was never meant to cover all your needs in retirement - it is only a buffer.

Start preparing for retirement early. Own your home, eliminate debt and save like you mean it.

Nice when it works but it doesn't always work that way. I had a great job, made OK money and except for the house was debt free and was definitely right side up on the house. 40K was beating the odds and starting to look good. Went to work feeling great, lifted one thing to many and back went snap, crackle, pop and I was an inch plus shorter in three weeks. No way to repair it, no surgery recommend and not released to work for five and a half years and that work release was forged. I came out of all that with no house, no 401K and thank God no debt but darned little left.

While I agree with what you have said and was working hard on the plan I started all over at 57 with a rather limiting disability and could never return to my trade. Try to find work when your are 57 and have not worked for five and a half years because of an inoperable back injury and see how fast you sterling work record and you qualifications go straight down the tube.

Other medical problems forced my retirement at 62. Now at 67 I have no income except for SS and VA who is on the hook for something that happened while on active duty.

I agree with your advice and wish you and everyone like you who practices financial responsibility the best but do not get to proud as it can all come tumbling down in less that a second.

Now before someone jumps my case for this post let me say this is not a pity me post. We are doing OK and I am not bitching about our conditions. If there is a COLA this year for SS and VAD we will get a little raise but if there is not like last year we will still be fine. I can still pay my rent even though it will likely increase again and I can still sit on my deck and have a good cigar when the mood catches me. If we continue to put a little aside we might even make another Campfire get together next year. smile

I certainly understand how your situation can happen - I had a heart attack six years back and fortunately had kept my insurance in place, helping me avoid the brunt of a 270K hospital bill and keeping my retirement intact. Prior to this, an accquaintance out at our local gun club had the same problem but had let his insurance lapse. This was pre-Obama Care and as his business was suffering from the '07 financial collapse, he felt he could not afford insurance premiums. He rolled the dice and posponed treatment as many do, hoping to make it a year until medicare kicked in and perhaps save his home at the same time. Lost the bet and is now enjoying the big dirt-nap.

There are no guarantee's nor should there be - I have no wisdom to impart other than a conviction that wishful thinking will not win the long-game. The best you can do is to aggressively prepare yourself in the happy event you do make it to retirement. No one else can or will do that for you.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Scott F

I have been in the financial industry for about 40years. I can tell you lots of stories of people that did everything right, until the day came when it blew up.
But=====to show what a good guy i am, and wanting you to continue smoking those fine cigars on the patio, I will offer to buy chocolate for a 100dollar bill, YOU pay shipping etc. That is a good deal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tracks
If the government defaults on what they owe me, I'll have to start making bank withdrawals- with a 45.

The government won't default on Social Security payments. They will just pay some of us and then get take it back via taxes. In fact, they are already doing it for some of the payments.

I'm better when I move.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

There are no guarantee's nor should there be - I have no wisdom to impart other than a conviction that wishful thinking will not win the long-game. The best you can do is to aggressively prepare yourself in the happy event you do make it to retirement. No one else can or will do that for you.

No guarantee's anywhere at all. That is just life. I just got real lucky with the VA and that helped a lot.

Last edited by Scott F; 10/17/16.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

I have been in the financial industry for about 40years. I can tell you lots of stories of people that did everything right, until the day came when it blew up.
But=====to show what a good guy i am, and wanting you to continue smoking those fine cigars on the patio, I will offer to buy chocolate for a 100dollar bill, YOU pay shipping etc. That is a good deal.

Your kindness brings tears to my eyes.

Tears of laughter that is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Ed
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Congressional pay should raise at the same rate as social security.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
some of it already is "means tested" so to speak.
the premium for part A of medicare isn't the same for everyone.
below certain income levels, it cost you nothing.
above certain income levels, you can pay two or three times the average.

Plus, if you have other income, you will pay income tax on your Social Security based on a complex calculation tied to your other income. I am currently giving back 20% of our Social Security as income tax (Wife and I). That is based on the standard deduction. With my situation that is always the best way to figure my income tax, although I always figure it long form to make sure.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A spouse can choose to draw half of the primary recipient's SS retirement benefit while the primary is still alive regardless whether or not they have worked long enough to qualify for their own SS retirement benefit. They can also draw the full amount of primary's SS benefit upon his/her death. The same C.O.L.A. raise percentage (if any) are figured seperately and added to each.

With that said, even though a surviving spouse can draw the full amount upon the primary's death, they loose their half benefit, which means they will be getting 1/3 less total income from SS benefits.

Depending on personal financial situations this could make a significant difference in deciding whether to file for SS benefits at the minimum age, postponing it until reaching full retirement age, or later.

(Ex spouses can also draw off the primary's SS retirement benefit too.)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 60 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.