Print Thread
Hop To
R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Had a great hunt with my brother down in Nevada last week. Didn't kill one of the big boys that lives up on the mountain, but I was very happy to bring this boy home.

[Linked Image]

My brother had an unsuccessful muzzleloader cow elk hunt in the same unit, which had closed and of course this happens our first morning out.

[Linked Image]

A beautiful place!

[Linked Image]

Discovered this on our return to the pickup, anyone see the issue here?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ryoushi; 10/17/16.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
congrats on a great deer. beautiful looking country. how about some details on the rifle and finding the buck.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks!

Quick rundown on the buck. We found this buck and 4 others in a bachelor group the night before. They were in a spot that was not really good for a stalk so we let them be and figured we would find them in the morning.

Sure enough, the next morning we found them but they were up on top of the ridge, in the open and heading for the next basin to the north, no way to get close. We let them go for the time being and spent the bulk of the day watching a different basin. As the afternoon wore on, we decided to go find the bachelor group.

Heading north, we slowly scrolled over the edge looking into the basin and immediately saw a buck bedded, then saw 2 others. We knew there were 2 other bucks somewhere but couldn't find them, so I decided to shoot the 3 point if he stood up. On cue, he stood and I lined up the shot, which was about 165 yds steep downhill. I shot, he went down. As we were gathering our packs to go retrieve him, he stood up and I shot him again. He jumped straight up in the air then ran into the timber. We hiked down the hill and found him on his feet, very sick, but alive, so I put a finisher through his head.

During butchering, we found that my first shot hit high, just above the spine where the shoulder and neck meet. Clearly I had pulled the shot. My second shot hit him through the lungs and was fatal, but he was pretty amped up and kept fighting. Tough critters.

My rifle is a first generation Browning A-bolt in 30-06. I was using Barnes Vor-tex 150gr. ammo. The scope is a Leupold FXII 6x.

Last edited by ryoushi; 10/17/16.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You might have a mouse in your ventilation system. Scenery is very very nice thanks for the PICS.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
great hunting story Thanks!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did a packrat get a hold of your cabin air filter?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great looking deer and gorgeous country. Thanks for sharing!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane
Great looking deer and gorgeous country. Thanks for sharing!

+1! congrats.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
ryoushi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Yup, either a pack rat or a mouse. Was a bit surprised to see a big puff of dust some out of the vents when I fired up the Taco. The little bugger had filled up the fan with filter scraps and juniper bark. He was settling for the winter! Fortunately, it looks like he beat feet when the fan came on.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sounds like you had a great hunt in some beautiful country.

Looks like you are gonna have cabin air filter pieces everywhere when you turned on the fan . . .

Wait a sec here, I bet that is how you figured out there was one and that the mice liked it too.

I did not even know there was such a thing until I found out the one in my truck was missing and the one in my wife's car was disgusting.

Last edited by LouisB; 10/20/16.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Went with a buddy to NV last fall for a muzzleloader deer hunt. Had an amazing hunt. Talk about quality! We saw bachelor groups of bucks each day and for that matter some great bull elk. We even bugled the bulls just for sport. Had a fantastic time and it seemed like unlimited country and no other hunters. He drew for rifle elk in another unit this year so we go back in a couple three weeks to give that a go.

I am extremely impressed with the quality of the hunt in NV. Kudos for their management.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/20/16.

LOL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,206
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.