Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Specifically for eastern coyote hunters/trappers -

In a typical (ha...) eastern mixed hardwoods/pasture area, plenty of hard and soft mast, strong small game and small rodent populations, ample deer, some cattle - how often do you find that a coyote will pass through the same area on their hunting/scavenging forays?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I am just getting into hunting eastern coyotes and am not accomplished by any stretch. I have had mixed results but have connected a few times.

I have two larger farms that I can hunt. Calling has resulted in 3 kills and two more were killed as targets of opportunity. I have not had the opportunity to 'pattern' coyotes as I would deer. But according to the farmers that own the land they tell me that the coyotes seem to disappear at times, so I suspect their range encompasses a sizable area. But the farmers pointed out where they see them frequently, which leads me to believe that like us they are creatures of habit.

This coupled with the fact that the ones that frequent my neighborhood are seen usually on the way to work in the same place like clockwork.

Not a large data set by any stretch, just my limited experience. Hope it helps.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
right now, I hear calling over the course of 3 or 4 nights, then a lull of about 10 days.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it takes that long to get the sound outta their brain.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here in the Ozark's depending upon the habitat, the resident coyote population at any given time and the ready availability of food, a coyotes range might be as small as 5 square miles to more than 20 square miles. Coyotes will have core areas they favor and will have travel routes they will tend to favor. Coyotes can be unpredictable and turn up anywhere at any given time for whatever reasons. There are also lone transient coyotes that may not have their own home turf staked out. They have a pretty rough go of it mostly. I don't know how that compares to your particular area or if that's helpful to whatever scenario you're working on.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't live in the east but the surrounding terrain is very easternish.
I am surrounded by 40-50 year overgrown fields interlaced with timber. It is very thick with visibility often limited to 20 feet or less and it all begins about 40 ft from my front door. A family group will set up shop here every September. They are very aggressive the first month or 2 as territorial lines are reestablished between them, their dens, my home and my dogs. Basically, they want us gone but the dogs skirmish with them and I generally kill a yote or 2 and everything settles down until they leave in the early spring. During this time, I will say they spend at least 60% of their time or more right here. There are lots of rodents to keep them fed during the winter. Typically they are here for 6-7 days and then gone 2-3 days so, if you are near their core area, you may see them a lot.

In the spring and summer they will usually be here 2-3 days out of 2-3 weeks.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Interesting.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (204guy, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,060
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.