Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
If it's just a range toy, why not consider a "copy" of the venerable 1911A1 from any of a number of good manufacturers at a fraction of the price?

I have three 1911s. One is a series 70 Colt Gold Cup. But the other two are "renditions" of Colt products. One an RIA Compact that looks and shoots like Colt's old Officer's Model and it cost me about $400. The third is an ATI Commander sized "Rail" gun that shoots as good as the Gold Cup and as good as any Colt I've ever shot. It cost me in the $450 range.

Of course, neither of them will give me Colt's resale value, but I didn't buy collector pieces. I bought shooters.
Love my Springfield Armory Stainless Mil Spec. Flawless.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I shot the 30s against a shield 45. I could shoot the shield better. I also felt the 30s had a sharper recoil impulse.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One of my most fun to shoot pistols was this Norinco 1911. Far from a "prestige" piece, but a good fun shooter regardless.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Snake River Marksman; 10/16/16. Reason: Sold it awhile back so changed from present to past tense.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Only for a few brief periods in the last fifty years have I been 1911-less. Usually due to financial reversals or stupidity. I have two now, a Pro Carry II and a RIA, to be joined shortly by a midget, a Micro. Still, I would like another 38 Super or a 9mm EMP or such.
Bullseye, pins, plinking, hunting,or defense, fine guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
One of my most fun to shoot pistols was this Norinco 1911. Far from a "prestige" piece, but a good fun shooter regardless.
[Linked Image]

Gives me a little chuckle. I remember when Norcs were cheap and were scorned here worse than Remingtons are now. Then it turns out they were quite good. Now nearly unobtainable.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They didn't spend much money on the finish but the machining wasn't half bad. That one shot better than it's price.

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They didn't spend much money on the finish but the machining wasn't half bad. That one shot better than it's price.

Turns out the metallurgy is quite good as well. The provided mags...not so much. wink

Wish I would have ignored the nay-sayers at the time, when they were readily available at bargain prices.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When I sold that one I got more than I paid for it so.....

Stupidity is expensive
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Someone should convince Trump when he becomes president (grin) to rescind the executive order that killed the importation of the Norinco's.

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by K1500
Have you owned a 1911 before? Since it is just a range toy and you don't indicate competition plans for it I wouldn't worry too much about anything other than what you want. It sounds like you already have a few Glocks. What do you have to lose by buying a 1911? Colt holds its resale value well, and Colt quality today is probably as good as it has ever been in the past 40 years. I own both and have more fun shooting the 1911 than I do any of my striker fired guns.

Owned 2 Colts and 2 Kimbers.

Colt 1 - Early 70's series in 38 Super. Came in a carboard box about the size of a cigar box. Excellent pistol in all respects. Never shoulda sold it but the GF was knocked up.

Colt 2 - basic 2002 mfg Colt in 45 ACP. Rather tight, no rattle, never had an issue with it. Had a shipmate that wanted it more than I did when I moved from Texas.

Kimbers were both ok but from a quality point, couldn't say they were head and shoulders above Colt.

Next one is likely a Ruger to give them a go. Joe Chambers once told me that he thought highly of the Ruger offerings he saw - had them above Springfield as a starting point for a build but behind Colt for reasons of re-sale, not quality. Joe's put a lot of people in the winner's circle at Perry, I trust his opinion on 1911's.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone should convince Trump when he becomes president (grin) to rescind the executive order that killed the importation of the Norinco's.

Since you've already taken your profit, eh? laugh

Can we trade the embargo on Norcs for one on, say, dogfood and honey? smirk

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm a free market capitalist of the first order and a product of the 80's "ME" decade!

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'll second that motion. And while we're at it let's bring back all of those Garands and M1 carbines that might be sitting in third world warehouses and armories.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Wouldn't that be great.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by MOGC
I'm gonna buy a new Commander size .45... a Glock 30s.
I know at least two people who have had trouble with the Glock 30S, myself and one other poster here. The problem is the same in both cases, i.e., a tendency to lock back with rounds still in the mag. Glock will tell you it's user error, only adding to the frustration. Good luck with your Glock 30S. Cool concept, but hasn't worked out for me.

A friend and I are buying 2 at the same time from an FFL friend of his to get a very attractive price.

Hopefully, we won't experience the same problems. If so, then we'll be contacting Glock, too.

At some point, they'd have to address the issue.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I haven't owned a 1911 since the early 90's. I don't see that changing either.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ No reason to own one.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.