Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
JCS271 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image]

I have been really struggling with locating wolves this year. The few times I have been on them I was either busted by swirling winds or crunchy frozen snow. It has been raining lightly for the last ten days and this morning was no exception.

I was in some very remote country at daylight and made several stands with no response. Soaking wet and frustrated I walked back to my jeep. After a short pity party right there in the drivers seat I decided to give it ONE more try and went to another spot about a mile away. After I made two short howls I heard a response. It sounded like there were five or six of them but they were spread out and way up the side of a mountain with absolutely no trail access.

I usually do not try sneaking in on a whole pack simply because the more they are pestered, the more wary they become. Today however with no wind and a light rain falling I decided to go for it. As I was strapping on my pack and grabbing my hiking stick in preparation for a difficult hike I couldn't help thinking about the old saying "Fortune Favors the Bold".

For the next 90 minutes I slowly made my way up the slope utilizing game trails as best I could to make the walk a little easier. When I got near the top there was a little saddle and I could see fairly well in most directions for 25-40 yards.

I thought it was as good a place as any to set up. All the way up I had been trying to figure out my best option for calling, assuming that I did not get busted on the way in. I decided that instead of soft whining or howling I would instead just crank on my fawn distress and hope for the best, my theory being that if they were separated but all in the general area, then each would think that one of the others had caught something and just maybe.........

I sat on a flat rock with my little .308 Ruger, safety off and at the ready. I now run illuminated reticles on all of my hunting rifles and the Leupold VXR 2-7 was turned all the way down with the firedot duplex reticle glowing.

I am the proud owner of several exotic hardwood magnum calls from Robert Patrick of RareEarth calls in Michigan. So when I started mimicking a fawn in distress on the one made from Ironwood I knew It would carry loudly and clearly across the slope.

After three or four soulful "bleats" I sat still. Twenty seconds later I saw movement directly in front of me at about 35-40 yards. It was a gray colored wolf coming down a game trail at a lope heading straight for me. I started tracking it with the red dot so I could fire the second it stopped.

Except it wasn't stopping, it was so intent on finding the fawn that I realized it was going to be in my lap if I didn't do something quick! So I woofed and it hit the brakes. With the firedot centered on its chest as the wolf faced me at less than 12 yards, I simply pulled the trigger and it collapsed.

I instantly reloaded and scanned for any other wolves but there was nothing but silence. I howled on the off chance the gunshot had been ignored but there was no response.

As I notched my tag and prepared for the pack out I couldn't help but think how close I had come to giving up and going home cold wet and hungry,just 2 hours earlier.

Wolf hunting is just like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play. Today I hit the jackpot!

[Linked Image]

The wolf was a female and aged as a 2 year old by the FWP biologist.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
way to go! what's this, wolf #4 or #5?

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Nice job and great story.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toad
way to go! what's this, wolf #4 or #5?

I had the exact same thoughts.

The one with a longbow still rates as beyond cool!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool, hope I get a chance at them one day!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats and a great story.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Outstanding!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congrats!!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Very Cool,I bet that was exciting...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your posts about wolf hunting are some of my favorite posts about hunting on the entire net. Congrats on another successful wolf hunt.

Is it Friday yet?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good job and great story. I'd love to shoot one that way.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CONGRATULATIONS! cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
HOORAY ! ! HOORAH !!
Fantastic.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good Job

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Pretty! And good thinking

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
awww-right!

I recall your post last year getting a wolf with your longbow--too cool.

What kind of call are you using for a wolf howl?

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great on you!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Very cool.

Congrats.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Way to go!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats, way to stick it out.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.