Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

After drawing a Mountain Goat permit in 1977 at age 19, another one finally showed up in the mailbox after 39 years. The Billy I took in 77' was early September, and actually my first taste of true mountain hunting....I've been hooked ever since. Early September goat hair is pretty thin, so this go around I was determined to wait for better hair. My September was shot anyway, spending 17 days trying to bow kill a big bull elk, and four days spent chasing moose.

I'd set aside 10 days in October for my goat hunt in the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness. I've hunted this country for elk, mule deer, and bighorn sheep since the early eighties and know the country well. My long time hunting pal, Alan Brown had drawn this same permit and took an outstanding goat with incredible hair in October 2015, and was chomping at the bit to get back in there. Alan is a fellow Government Trapper from Miles City, and is one of the finest outdoorsman I know, he's also a hell of a camp cook. My own outdoor cooking abilities end at dumping boiling water into a pouch of freeze dried food...:) We have a very good friend who agreed to take us in on horseback, complete with four of the finest mules I've ever seen, drop us off, and pick us up in ten days. Wall tent, wood stove and real food....we were set.
[Linked Image]

After a 17 mile ride, and several hours getting camp set up, wood cut, water stocked, and a little glassing from camp, we were anticipating the next nine days like kids waiting for Christmas morning to arrive. This camp was at 9600' elevation, so a little acclimation is always a part of finding the groove. Typically I have a headache and some fatigue for a couple days before being able to really get after it. It's a great spot, and a lot of good glassing is close by camp. There were two goats on the mountain right above us as we unloaded the mules.

[Linked Image]

When you wait until October to go goat hunting, you risk having to hunt in the snow, and that adds a challenge to finding snow white goats. It's still doable though, and I've learned to glass for tracks on the snow and that will take you to the quarry. After a heavy snowfall, they will usually move a little lower on the mountain until the wind and sun start to bare up the higher ridges. Within 15 minutes after climbing to this lookout point, I had 18 goats located. They were a bout a mile away on the other side of the basin, and about halfway up. Mostly nannies and kids. I kept scanning with the Zeiss, and soon enough I found a lone Billy about a half mile west of the other ones. This time of year the older males will be solitary and pretty stationary. They are also bigger bodied, have a slight yellow tint to them, and will have heavier, longer hair than the females. Another trait is heavier horns with more curve to them. Also, the mature males have a scent gland that protrudes behind their horns at the base. It's black in color, and will give the impression of more mass on the bases.

[Linked Image]

After several tries, I ended up getting a picture of him through the scope. From over 1 1/2 miles out I could tell he was just what I was looking for, a mature Billy with great hair.

By now it was late afternoon, so I decided to try for him with an early start the next morning, and was content to sit it out the rest of the day and just watch. About an hour before dark I saw the 18 nannies and kids bunch up and start across the mountain towards the opposite side of the basin....something had buggered them, but I couldn't see what it was. The lone Billy also started climbing towards the top of the basin at a good clip....Grizzly? I'd find out the next day.

[Linked Image]

This is where the nannies and kids ended up. Only 700 meters from where I was glassing from. They kept looking back, and I did too, but never could locate what had spooked them.

The next morning, Alan and I climbed back up to the lookout point to try to locate the Billy again. After glassing for about an hour, I picked him up bedded on a spine ridge that separated the two basins, all alone again with no other goats in view. I've learned over the years, that old Billies will lay in one spot for hours on end, sometimes all day if they are undisturbed and feel secure. It was a perfect opportunity for a solo stalk. I had Alan stay on our vantage point to keep tabs on him, while I made a long, elaborate stalk that took over three hours to complete. We had planned a set of hand signals for Alan to give me in case he got up and moved off to feed, or to find another bed out of the wind. The wind was steady out of the southwest at about 20 mph when I started to close the gap. At one point, I was within 525 meters of him, still bedded in the same place. I decided I didn't want to chance a poor hit in the wind, and crept in closer, and closer. The only problem was, as I was closing the distance, I was also losing elevation, and a good view of him. I decided to get under 300 meters, set up, and wait for him to stand up, then take him. I knew exactly where he was, even though he was out of view. There was no chance he could get up and leave without me seeing him, so the wait began...the rifle was set up perfect, the range was 277 meters(.4 on the turret). Two hours later, I was still waiting him out, when I glanced down behind me to right and saw movement out of the corner of my eye. There stood one of the largest boar grizzlies I've ever seen at 200 meters. He was feeding on roots, unearthing them with his claws. The wind was good, and in my favor, but bears feeding on steep ground usually work their way up the slope, so I knew I could be in a bind if he ended up getting too close. The other factor with a grizzly between me and the goat was the whole thing could go haywire if he got in view of the goat. Now I knew why all of those goats blew out of there yesterday, and the grizzly was still here! For almost an hour my head was on a swivel going from bear to where the goat was. Back and forth. Finally the bear drifted into a strip of trees directly under me, and I lost track of him for ten minutes or so....It was time to make a move on the goat. I was planning to shorten up the distance, working into the wind as quietly and quickly as possible until the goat came into view, then take my shot. When I was about 60 meters from where he was, I looked down the ridge 25 meters from the bed, and saw the Billy standing broadside through some scrub sub alpine trees. I got down and prone, chambered a round, found him in the scope, expecting him to be looking right at me, but he was pawing the ground, getting ready to lay down again. I waited a few seconds, he bedded facing me, and I settled the reticle on his chest and fired. He never saw me at all. He folded up instantly, and stayed there for a few seconds, then started rolling off the left side of the mountain. Immediately I was looking back for the bear, but never saw or heard him leave. I approached the spot where I last saw the goat, and to my relief he only rolled about 40 meters before hanging up in a patch of stunted trees.....

[Linked Image]

My perch....277 meters from the goat, and 200 meters from the grizzly...

[img]http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp311/patrickgsinclair/patrickgsinclair018/IMG_3593.jpg[/img]

Where he was stopped from rolling down the mountain....We shared a long, humble moment here. There was no hooping and hollering, or shaking my fist in the air. and I'm man enough to say my eyes were welled up for quite awhile. For knowing that in the ebb of my mountain hunting career, that this will be the last one. For being thankful of having a great life of freedom in the mountains, with countless great hunting adventures behind me. For amazing people that have supported me, family and friends that words can't describe. For all of the wild country I've had the privilege to be in and share with others.

[img]http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp311/patrickgsinclair/patrickgsinclair017/IMG_6039%203.jpg[/img]

I managed to pull him back up, and out in the open for a few self timed pictures, before getting busy breaking him down. Alan had a front row seat to the whole thing and was on his way over to help. He arrived just before dark, and shared the load. We decided to try to get all the way back to camp, and not stay out in the bush. It went well with neither of us taking a tumble in the moonlight. When we topped the summit at 10,800' we sat down for a water and candy bar break. The moon and stars lit up the basin below us. Taking it in, we never said a word....we didn't have to.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Excellent all the way around, just excellent

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dayum, that's awesome.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
As always a great story, and fine photos!!! Thanks for sharing. The ebb of one's career is a sobering moment.. Fine writing.. May you have many more moments like this..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outstanding hunt and story.

I'm elk hunting this week and realize at 53 I won't be doing this forever. I have more seasons behind me than in front of me.

I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Your posts never disappoint. Thank you for sharing that memory with us. That feeling that you expressed is what keeps us hunters getting up in the morning and strapping boots on and it's something that you described perfectly.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[img]http://i423.photobucket.com/al...atrickgsinclair018/th_IMG_3638.mp4[/img]

A few days later I made my way back up to another divide to look for sheep. I ran into some more goats, and took this little bit of footage with my IPhone....they are amazing creatures.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Goats on top of Moonlight Divide..

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow! Fantastic stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Great story, Pat! Congratulations.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Epic hunt and nice sentiment on the "ebb of a career" - something we all will come to grips with soon enough.
I assume the griz was thankful too.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Excellent read and pics.

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story and pics, Pat!

Kudos on the success and your attitude in life!

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on an OUTSTANDING hunt. cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Congratulations Pat!

Thanks for sharing

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great story and pictures. Thanks for taking us there!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Absolutely great write up and pictures. I always look forward to reading about your hunts. Great job. Congrats on a really nice goat!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doesn't get any better than that....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
congrats. great story

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats, Pat!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats, Pat! That right there is the hunt of a lifetime!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats again Pat !!

Incredible write up and field pics and I can't wait to hear more about it in Nov.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Someday, when I grow up, I wanna be like you Pat!
Awesome story and thanks for sharing. You're a good enough writer that you could have had that one published in Eastmans

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dang Pat, that is just Awesome! Congratulations!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am waiting for your autobiography... I will pay in advance!! I will be awesome!! Put me down for the first one issued!!

Molon Labe
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
As always, thanks for sharing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pat;
Good evening to you sir, thanks again for taking us along on one of your adventures.

I very much enjoy your hunting stories and as usual your photos are top notch.

Congratulations on the nice billy sir, it's a grand trophy to remember an epic hunt by.

Thanks again, all the best to you folks and good luck on your family's remaining hunts this fall Pat.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It truly does not get any better!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Helluva deal, nice Billy there Pat.

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Really excellent. Great stalk.

I liked the entire narrative and the grizzly encounter added some drama.

Nice job, great goat!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Great pics. Great read.

Congratulations, Pat!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrads Pat! I enjoy your posts,and Pics.always wanted to do a Goat hunt but those days are long gone! Please keep shareing your hunts so those of us that cant, can enjoy yours!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Incredible. Congrats!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Congrats on the billy and thanks again for another well written and photographed story. There's no way to tell you how how much I look forward to your posts, been waiting for this one. What a hunt!

Golden............
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Great story and hunt Pat. Thank you for taking the time to document and share. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the details and nuances. I've sat on a mountain on Kodiak island with one eye on goats and another on a large brown bear ~ 300 yards away so I know exactly what that is like....sans a dead goat. <grin>

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fantastic, and congratulations, Pat! Thank you for "taking us along".

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for taking us along on your adventure & congratulations on a super trophy!! And as always, the pictures sure let is be a part of your hunt - thank you!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Amazing hunt!!

Thank you for taking us along...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great story and pics- never have really had a mountain goat hunt high on my bucket list until now!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
9 inches or so? I can't tell that kind of stuff being a flat lander and such.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Excellent story and goat. Green with envy!

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Great write up and many congrats! I can only hope to be so lucky some day, but I believe your words below sum up things so well, precise, concise, that being on a mountain is always reward enough.... sometimes you get icing on the cake though...

Where he was stopped from rolling down the mountain....We shared a long, humble moment here. There was no hooping and hollering, or shaking my fist in the air. and I'm man enough to say my eyes were welled up for quite awhile. For knowing that in the ebb of my mountain hunting career, that this will be the last one. For being thankful of having a great life of freedom in the mountains, with countless great hunting adventures behind me. For amazing people that have supported me, family and friends that words can't describe. For all of the wild country I've had the privilege to be in and share with others.

I only can offer a similar instance some years ago, my first go in AK, and a small caribou bull, but my buddy simply said in very low words, up here, we are with God. Nothing else was said, but my vision did become a bit blurry.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Another Awesome one. Congrats

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pat

Awesome hunt and pictures buddy! A well deserved trophy!! 6.5GAP does it again! 130 JLK?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mmgravy
Amazing hunt!!

Thank you for taking us along...

+1 Pat.

Ive been waiting for this write-up and it was even better than expected!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow.
Well done.

Again.

Have Dog

Will Travel

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Awesome hunt and write up. Thanks for posting that. Congrats!

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Very Nice!
And always a little better with an old friend...

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
SWEET!! That's awesome you got to share another hunt with Alan... You gotta be running out of room on the wall now.

Public landowner...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great Billy, congrats.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Congrat's to you both!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Scenarshooter: Congratulations on the great trophy and that Hunt in such amazing country!
I have had Mt. Goats spooked by Black Bears but not as yet by Grizzlies!
I am glad it all worked out for you.
My Hunting partner last year had to "spray gravel" on an unafraid Grizzly to keep it off of his in the process of being boned out Mt. Goat (near Livingston)!
Again congrats on the the great adventure and thanks for sharing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congrats, Pat!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Simply awesome. Keeping tabs on your quarry and on the grizzly all the while must have really kept the blood pumping.

Very well written and great pictures too.

Thanks!

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The pic of you ,the goat and the mountains in back speaks volumes,just grand.
Thanks for one of the best hunting stories I have read in awhile.
Very cool indeed..

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Great story, great pix....thanks so much for sharing it with us. But....

Originally Posted by scenarshooter
There was no hooping and hollering, or shaking my fist in the air.

How do you ever expect to have your own TV show???? ^^^^^^^^^^^

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
What a great story and pictures. Congrats on a great trip. I'll never be able to do that, at this point in my life but I appreciate your sharing so I can take in some of the adventure, that your effort created.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations on the goat, great write up as well. It is amazing how many grizzlies live in goat country, we expect to see them when hunting in the alpine in particular.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent story and hunt. Bittersweet with the mention of the ebb of hunting career. I have a feeling Pat that you will be out hunting most of us when you are 90. Beautiful country you hunt.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

G'damn, I respect the hell out of that.
And I think the only thing that rivals your hunting abilities is your keen sense behind the camera. smile

Good on ya, Pat. And thanks for sharing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great stuff Pat -

Thanks for sharing...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane

+1

I find the whole celebration thing as seen on most of the tv hunting shows a bit much. A humble moment is spot on in my book. G'damn, I respect the hell out of that.
And I think the only thing that rivals your hunting abilities is your keen sense behind the camera. smile

Good on ya, Pat. And thanks for sharing.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just got time to sit down and read this. Don't know when I've read a better post on a hunt. Great story, great photos. Congrats, Pat.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for taking the time to write a wonderful hunt report.

Congrats on a magnificent trophy and a great experience.

Hope to see you this fall.

Last edited by oldslowdog; 10/19/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pictures and story.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Congratulations on your hunt. That looks like a very nice billy.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Congrats's on a very nice billy, and awesome country.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great writeup and photos. Congrats!!!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonderful.

Thanks for sharing.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great goat, great hair, great report and great pics.

Don't think anyone here doubted that would be the result of your goat hunt.

Maybe I missed it but how long was he?

Congrats and thanks for taking the time to put that together, fantastic stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats , Great write up and pics. Thanks for sharing

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
As always your stories, pics, and experience is amazing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats!

That was a great read.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Outstanding hunt, and one obviously that will be remembered for the rest of your life! Nothing finer than being in the high country during this time of year.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks Pat!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wow...great read...thanks for sharing!

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Congratulations on your goat hunt & wonderful photographs.

I hope that "the ebb of your mountain hunting career" is long and productive - if only for the sake of those of us who enjoy reading your reports so much!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great write up. Thanks

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats, Pat. Great story of a great hunt.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What a grand adventure told by someone who obviously appreciates the blessings of his life.
Congrats to you Pat, on a wonderful hunt and great write-up.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations, what a great hunt! Thanks for the story + pics!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Great hunt and even better photos!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very well done Pat. Great write up and pics of the hunt, very enjoyable to read. Congratulations on the trophy and another fine hunt you included us on.

The Best...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Congrats Pat!!

There is something very special about being in goat country, and you relayed that feeling very well.

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome story, hunt and pics Pat. Glad that you were able to harvest a well deserved trophy. The only thing that'd have been better for you would be having the boys there with you. Good friends make any hunt really special. Thanks for sharing with us Pat.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Congrats, Pat! That right there is the hunt of a lifetime!

The thing is Pat's had about 50 hunts of a life time. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Incredible story and outstanding goat! Thanks for sharing that with us all!

Most don't have the courage or ability to wait until the snows come and chase goats as early as possible. Well done!

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
T
T
Thank you Pat! You inspire me to work toward my dream hunts!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Great story

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very well done. Enjoyed the trip.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, what an accomplishment! congratulations on doing something guys like me only dream of!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fabulous hunt, and an exceptional write-up. Thank you for sharing the experience with us Pat.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn, I missed this one on the first go 'round. Your writing is great, your knowledge and skill are obvious, and damn, those photos! Thanks for sharing.

I keep putting in for "easy" goat tags, and every time I go on a goat hunt, I swear it's the last one. I can appreciate the sentiment where you start to realize your mountain hunts are numbered.

Eat moose, burn spruce
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Unreal great. I wish i had done something like that once- a long time ago.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations. Awesome story and a great hunt. I wish you many more.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fantastic story and result. attaboy, sir.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.