-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thinking of buying a El Paso High Slide for my S&W 1911PD commander. Was wondering if one should order it lined or unlined? THoughts either way? The purpose of the lining is for ?

Regards,

Tom
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I think the purpose of the lining is to provide a smoother surface inside to protect the finish of the firearm (especially on a blued finish). That said, none of mine are lined, so I can't say if it helps or not.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Suede lined holsters take the finish off as well...

The sign of a handgun that has been used for what it was purchased for! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My lined holsters are lined with veg tanned leather. You know, so the inside looks like the outside.

If unlined and you have a strap, make sure they cover the strap button on the inside of the holster.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, I don't care for them. Soft linings like suede tend to trap dust, dirt & debris that can cause more abrasion issues than plain leather. They inhibit drying when the holster gets wet, as well.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Why use suede?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am a big fan of Kramer Holsters. I have 3 of them and have never been disappointed. Here is what they say about lined holsters:

Will a lined holster protect my guns finish?

Generally speaking the finish on a gun is more likely to wear in a loose fitting holster than it is in a snugger fitting moulded rig, since the gun moves around all day long with your body motion. In a moulded rig however, the drawing of the gun will obviously cause more wear than in a looser fitting generic holster that offers less resistance during the draw. It is our opinion that a gun that is carried every day and used at the range to practice one's draw technique etc. is going to wear the bluing to some degree sooner or later regardless of whether or not the holster is lined. Horsehide is usually smooth as any that could be added to the holster and we therefore have elected not line our holsters. A gun is a working tool and if it is used with any regularity, it IS going to show a certain amount of blue wear, if you use your gun, it will shows signs of blue wear regardless of what type of material your rig is lined with.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've wondered about this myself. However, I just like the looks of a lined holster. They just look "finished". Just me.......

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lined holster does not universally equate to a thin layer of suede, which can have many issues, as already noted, used in a hard working holster.

Unsure of the lined El Paso, but the correct material and technique can be used to better hold the shape of the pistol for improved draw and reholstering, smoother draw, and yes, easier on the finish due to less friction on the contact points. In addition, it can make for a better finished and appearing holster.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't got enough miles on my lined holster to comment about finish wear (the gun it's for already has a lot of wear anyway). But using a smooth and stiff leather for liner makes it pretty easy to keep it clean.

And it looks good.

Way more work for the maker though, and the price likely reflects that (or should).

As for Kramer....my one example is a bit smoother inside than my unlined cowhide holsters - but not as smooth as the lined holster...not even close.

Would I go out of my way to get a lined holster for the sake of the lining? Probably not.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
$48 of lined goodness

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rockinbar: That is a pretty broad statement you made "bluing wear is a sign of a revolver being used correctly"!
Well I quit buying leather holsters for my revolvers about 20+ years ago (which was 40 years AFTER I began buying and using holsters professionally, for personal defense and for Hunting and range work!).
Leather looks good but that is about the end of it for me.
I have revolvers I use frequently and they show NO bluing induced leather wear!
There are better ways to use and carry revolvers - better in that the "better way" results in no bluing loss due to abrasive contact with leather (and all leather is abrasive to bluing!).
Or maybe I am not using my revolvers correctly - nah!
Been there done that!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you don't pack your sixgun in cowhide, you're a daisy wink

Unlined for me.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Unlined, I will proudly and enthusiastically present my well worn weapons to friend and felon alike, albeit 90 degrees off to friends. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It's an option to have it lined. It adds about 50% to the price of the holster ($77 + $35 to have it lined). My other EPS holsters are all Tom Threepersons style or tortilla style that come lined.

I am not all that worried about finish wear as the pistol in question is already worn some.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SargeMO
If you don't pack your sixgun in cowhide, you're a daisy wink

Unlined for me.

Or horsehide.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could no more wear a horsehide holster than you guys could carry one made out of a Golden Lab. We all have our weaknesses I guess.

[Linked Image]

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I went ahead and ordered it lined. After looking at the holsters i have from them, it really finishes it off nicely. Also ordered another T3P holster for a new to me FA 83 in 44 mag. 4-3/4" barrel.

Regards,

Tom
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I could no more wear a horsehide holster than you guys could carry one made out of a Golden Lab. We all have our weaknesses I guess.

[Linked Image]

Hard to argue with that.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,526
Posts18,452,842
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.