Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I have a Browning High Power Safari Grade .300 H&H rifle coming to me that has a Burris 3x9 scope in old Weaver flip rings. The scope is in great shape and works well but to me it just doesn't look right on this rifle. I was thinking about either a Leupold 6x36 or 6x42 might look more appropriate. As for mounts either Talley or Conetrol maybe? Any suggestions?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Leupold 6x36 LRD matte in Leupold Low DD's would be my approach.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I have had many 6x42s and loved them but like you suggested I am thinking hard about the 6x36 since it has the same coatings as the old 6x42 I am used to. As for the reticle, if I can get it in the German #4 that would be my choice. I figure I can sell the Burris to offset some of the cost. I think the combo of the .300 H&H with a 6x Leupold might be the perfect one gun for hunting the US and most of the world except for the Elephant, Buffalo and Hippo

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
You might consider S&K mounts. Here's some on my FN Supreme.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Call me crazy, but I'd do a Gloss Duplex 6x36 in the old style Weaver Top Mount(big knob, hook on one side 2 screws on the other) low rings...just think it would look...right.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I think for the scope I will go with the 6x26 Leupold in gloss with a #4 reticle. I might go with Warne QD mounts just so I can take the scope off when traveling. It would also allow for an extra scope to be set up and changed quickly in case the primary goes tits up

Last edited by pacecars; 10/16/16.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Call me crazy, but I'd do a Gloss Duplex 6x36 in the old style Weaver Top Mount(big knob, hook on one side 2 screws on the other) low rings...just think it would look...right.

I am a fan of those as well.

[Linked Image]

Same rifle, same scope, same mounts in a B&C Medalist, 2002.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pacecars
I have had many 6x42s and loved them but like you suggested I am thinking hard about the 6x36 since it has the same coatings as the old 6x42 I am used to. As for the reticle, if I can get it in the German #4 that would be my choice. I figure I can sell the Burris to offset some of the cost. I think the combo of the .300 H&H with a 6x Leupold might be the perfect one gun for hunting the US and most of the world except for the Elephant, Buffalo and Hippo

I have been happy with both 6X36 and 6X42 on M70 Winchesters. If I were to scope a new rifle it would be the 6X36 with new coatings and shoot ....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think that if an entrepreneur would take vintage K- and V- series Weavers , remove the old lenses, and replace them with state of the art glass and re-engineer the windage/elevation systems, he would find a ready market among guys who would like to utilize vintage scopes on vintage rifles but who shy away due to primitive optics the vintage scopes provide.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Best I cabin tell from what is available, the only gloss is the 6x42 and is equipped with a duplex. Looks like a trip to the custom shop.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I think that if an entrepreneur would take vintage K- and V- series Weavers , remove the old lenses, and replace them with state of the art glass and re-engineer the windage/elevation systems, he would find a ready market among guys who would like to utilize vintage scopes on vintage rifles but who shy away due to primitive optics the vintage scopes provide.

I think you're onto something.
Would be nice to have modern scopes that look "correct".

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd hunt around an find an M8 7.5x42 Leupold just because it's quirky enough different to match the rifle and ballistic capabilities.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by night_owl

I'd slap my brother for a K4 Micro Trac with Meopta glass...of course I'd probably slap one of them over a ham sandwich...LOL

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
For that rifle finish I'd look at a gloss 6x42mm in Burris Signature dual dovetails or S&Ks, both of which I think have class & function.

I like gloss scopes w/ gloss steel personally.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
6x42mm Leupold in gloss, secured in Talley gloss rings. Looks pretty good, I think.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have both the 6X36 and 6X42 and couldn't imagine choosing the 6X36 for aesthetic reasons when the 6X42 is a better scope in terms of eye box and FOV.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by night_owl

Have a look at the Kaps 'classic line'.
Kaps

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (280shooter, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 14idaho, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.