-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Jordan! Now that Indiana will allow a center fire rifle for deer hunting, I'm setting up a dedicated 243 and going to use either the VLD or AMax.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cast10K
Trystan - SWFA has a trade-in program that will give you a good price on your Leupold. You can probably get into an SS for less than the price of upgrading to an M1. Check out their site for details.

Do yourself a favor and sell it on your own and then buy the SS, assuming you are going to get rid of it. I'ld keep it myself. I've never tried to trade in a scope with SWFA. Since they are in business to make money, they won't give you what it's worth. That's not a slam against them. Like I said, they are in business to make money. They won't make money by giving you $275 to $300 in trade for a scope that you can sell for $275 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. This is not a slam against cast10K as he too is trying to help. Trade ins are good for one thing and one thing only whether it comes to vehicles, rifles, scopes, ad infinitum. That one thing is to forgo whatever hassle one perceives in selling on their own.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
My all time favorite .243 bullets (for hunting) are, in no order:

95 Berger VLD
105 Amax
87 Vmax
100 Sierra GK

The Vmax is a wonderful LR coyote bomb. I think I have convinced nearly everyone to switch from the 75 to the 87 and none heve been disappointed. 4064 is the go to powder here.

The 100 SGK I feel is one the best, and most under rated 243 bullets out there. Quite simply, Sierra nailed it with this one. It is tougher and has a thicker jacket than most realize. It holds together remarkably well even on close shots on deer. It has produced some of the fastest deer kills I have ever seen. And it has plenty of BC to take out to 600 yds and still expand reliably. It has never been finicky, in anything. And I am talking a dozen 243s. 42.3 gr. IMR 4350 has been magical in multiple rifles.

Now we come to 2 bullets I have used extensively for target shooting. But we are talking strictly from a hunting perspecrtive here. Either will take deer sized game without any trouble. The 105 Amax and 95 Berger. What I have found is that due to magazine constrictions, I prefer the Berger. It is slightly shorter and has slightly less BC. BUT you can also seat it out further and get more powder under it. Being lighter, and with a higher charge, pretty much negates the BC advantage of the 105 in a hunting rifle. Simply put, you can push it faster. It also stabilizes better in some factory barrels. And it is probably a better game bullet as well. I usually run 4350 with these bullets as well.

Lots of powders will work, and I have far too much powder on hand to try every new one that comes out. So admittedly, I have kinda been stuck in my ways as far as the 243 goes. Anything 75-90 gr. gets 4064. Anything over 90gr. gets 4350. That is really all you need to know, and will get you far.

As much as I really like all of said bullets, if I had to run one for all hunting of coyote and deer sized critters, I just may pick the 95 VLD. it is tougher than the 2 Hornady bullets and less messy, and has a better BC than the SGK, and you can get a little more speed out of it.

My current SS is a 12X with MOA quad. I prefer MOA to mil because I am, again, stuck in my ways. Have been doing the MOA thing way too long to switch now. I would suggest the 10X MOA quad here.

It is too bad Weaver has yet to make their 20 MOA rails for the American. I like their cross slot design better than the EGW, but mostly like them because they sit a good bit lower than EGWs do. I also prefer the flat tops of the SWFA rings to the rounded Burris ring tops........
[Linked Image]

I'd agree with a lot of that, but differ on a few points.

The 87AM is certainly a wicked pill on short-medium range coyotes and the like, and the 105AM/HPBT are awesome longer range bullets that kill deer and bigger game with aplomb. It's tough to beat the 105AM as an all-around target/varmint/BG bullet in the .243, though. The HPBT leans more toward targets and BG than varmints. Leaving the muzzle at 3050 fps from a SAAMI .243 and 3150 fps from an AI, it's tough to beat. I've got my throat cut for a COAL of 2.813" with the AM and a bit less with the HPBT, which easily fits in most mag boxes. The 95 can't keep up in those conditions. IMR4350 has been pure magic with 100+ gr bullets of all sorts.

I'll differ on MOA vs. Mil. Mil is simply much more intuitive. As a long-time user of MOA turrets and Mil reticles for many years, the mass exodus to Mil/Mil was a smooth transition with very little effort involved. Just very intuitive. The numbers are a bit easier to manage in shooting scenarios with a bit less math to worry about in the heat of the moment.

What do you use the flat tops of the SWFA rings for? The Burris XTR Sigs can't be beat for getting as much usable erector range out of those SS scopes as possible...

Whoa. Back the truck up Jordan. We were talking non-custom, factory rifle at a given price point, to 600 yards. Were we not? Because that is what my answer was based upon.

So I have no idea why you are mentioning AI chambers, custom cut throats, or milking the most out of a set of rings for 600 yd. shooting. All are irrelevant to the conversation at hand......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
For those of you who prefer the 95 VLD over the 105 VLD, care to share the reason(s)? Assume because it fits the mag box confines better?

From the ogive forward they are the same, so seating depths will be identical in regards to OAL and relationship to the lands, with any minor differences due to lot number variations.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My all time favorite .243 bullets (for hunting) are, in no order:

95 Berger VLD
105 Amax
87 Vmax
100 Sierra GK

The Vmax is a wonderful LR coyote bomb. I think I have convinced nearly everyone to switch from the 75 to the 87 and none heve been disappointed. 4064 is the go to powder here.

The 100 SGK I feel is one the best, and most under rated 243 bullets out there. Quite simply, Sierra nailed it with this one. It is tougher and has a thicker jacket than most realize. It holds together remarkably well even on close shots on deer. It has produced some of the fastest deer kills I have ever seen. And it has plenty of BC to take out to 600 yds and still expand reliably. It has never been finicky, in anything. And I am talking a dozen 243s. 42.3 gr. IMR 4350 has been magical in multiple rifles.

Now we come to 2 bullets I have used extensively for target shooting. But we are talking strictly from a hunting perspecrtive here. Either will take deer sized game without any trouble. The 105 Amax and 95 Berger. What I have found is that due to magazine constrictions, I prefer the Berger. It is slightly shorter and has slightly less BC. BUT you can also seat it out further and get more powder under it. Being lighter, and with a higher charge, pretty much negates the BC advantage of the 105 in a hunting rifle. Simply put, you can push it faster. It also stabilizes better in some factory barrels. And it is probably a better game bullet as well. I usually run 4350 with these bullets as well.

Lots of powders will work, and I have far too much powder on hand to try every new one that comes out. So admittedly, I have kinda been stuck in my ways as far as the 243 goes. Anything 75-90 gr. gets 4064. Anything over 90gr. gets 4350. That is really all you need to know, and will get you far.

As much as I really like all of said bullets, if I had to run one for all hunting of coyote and deer sized critters, I just may pick the 95 VLD. it is tougher than the 2 Hornady bullets and less messy, and has a better BC than the SGK, and you can get a little more speed out of it.

My current SS is a 12X with MOA quad. I prefer MOA to mil because I am, again, stuck in my ways. Have been doing the MOA thing way too long to switch now. I would suggest the 10X MOA quad here.

It is too bad Weaver has yet to make their 20 MOA rails for the American. I like their cross slot design better than the EGW, but mostly like them because they sit a good bit lower than EGWs do. I also prefer the flat tops of the SWFA rings to the rounded Burris ring tops........
[Linked Image]

I'd agree with a lot of that, but differ on a few points.

The 87AM is certainly a wicked pill on short-medium range coyotes and the like, and the 105AM/HPBT are awesome longer range bullets that kill deer and bigger game with aplomb. It's tough to beat the 105AM as an all-around target/varmint/BG bullet in the .243, though. The HPBT leans more toward targets and BG than varmints. Leaving the muzzle at 3050 fps from a SAAMI .243 and 3150 fps from an AI, it's tough to beat. I've got my throat cut for a COAL of 2.813" with the AM and a bit less with the HPBT, which easily fits in most mag boxes. The 95 can't keep up in those conditions. IMR4350 has been pure magic with 100+ gr bullets of all sorts.

I'll differ on MOA vs. Mil. Mil is simply much more intuitive. As a long-time user of MOA turrets and Mil reticles for many years, the mass exodus to Mil/Mil was a smooth transition with very little effort involved. Just very intuitive. The numbers are a bit easier to manage in shooting scenarios with a bit less math to worry about in the heat of the moment.

What do you use the flat tops of the SWFA rings for? The Burris XTR Sigs can't be beat for getting as much usable erector range out of those SS scopes as possible...

Whoa. Back the truck up Jordan. We were talking non-custom, factory rifle at a given price point, to 600 yards. Were we not? Because that is what my answer was based upon.

So I have no idea why you are mentioning AI chambers, custom cut throats, or milking the most out of a set of rings for 600 yd. shooting. All are irrelevant to the conversation at hand......

For about $100 I can have my factory Rem 700 Varmint barrel in .243 reamed to AI with whatever throat length I ask for by the local smith...

Why milk the most out of the scope's erector assy? Simply because there is no downside, and his self-imposed limit of 600 yards on antelope does not mean he'll never decide he wants to reach passed that on steel. Doesn't hurt to have more "up" on tap.

Still wondering what you use the flat top on the SWFA rings for. Serious question.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
For those of you who prefer the 95 VLD over the 105 VLD, care to share the reason(s)? Assume because it fits the mag box confines better?

From the ogive forward they are the same, so seating depths will be identical in regards to OAL and relationship to the lands, with any minor differences due to lot number variations.

I know you are aware of this already, but if working with a long enough mag box to seat the 105's so the bottom of the bullet shank is just above the neck/shoulder junction on the case, a guy can have the chamber throated for a minimal fee in order to seat the bullets accordingly. If there is no room in the mag box, he's stuck with the 95's and doesn't need as much throat length to hit the lands.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is great that you can have a throat cut or AI a rifle for $100. It just isn't what we were talking about. That's all. I gave an an answer based on what we WERE talking.

So when you say things like "the 95 can't keep up under those conditions" you are referring to a whole different set of conditions. Under said conditions, I will take the 95 Berger over the match bullet for on game performance. And flight differences will be negligible.

Not sure why you keep dwelling on the rings. I recommended the SWFA rings mostly with budget in mind. And because they will do all he needs and more to 600 yds. I also like looks of flat top rings better, and they come in handy as a leveling aid at times as a last resort on some guns.

As for the Burris rings, I have yet to figure out why they are so popular with some or why so many seem to have "issues" to fix with them. I have never found the need with 100s of rifles and scopes. What I can tell you, is that I have never seen any serious LR competitor use them. Ever. So if you wanna go and tell us they are all that and a bag of chips, that's fine. Maybe some will listen. And for said OPs rifle they would be fine. But no better than the SWFAs at less than half the price.

Here is a list of popular scope rings with real shooters behind them. The top 50 shooters. IME I would say it is a pretty accurate assessment:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/10/28/scope-mounts-what-the-pros-use/

Not a Burris on the list, which is not surprising in the least. And one more thing they ALL have in common, every last one of them has a flat top ring.

So if you know something of rings the whole rest of the LR shooting world doesn't, we are all ears.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Ruger American AW in .243 with 105 Horn HPBT bullets and SWFA SS 10x scope. EGW 20MOA rail and Horn XTR Sig rings. Spend the rest on reloading components, and go pop some primers.

I have a RAR .243 and this sounds like a great setup for a guy like me to get acquainted with SWFA SS, mils, etc. Any load data for the 105's, or a 95 VLD maybe?

Lapua brass, Fed 210, 105 HPBT at the lands, work up to 41-41.5gr IMR4350. I bet it shoots smile

Thanks!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Jordan,

Though I didn't mention shooting steel at 1000 yds I certainly was thinking exactly that. In my mind if I can connect steel at 1000 pretty regular I'll be far better prepared for real life stuff at 600. I appreciate your patients to give me the extra advice.

Thanks also to others that have contributed as I've learned from each post and do appreciate any and all advice.

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 10/19/16.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It is great that you can have a throat cut or AI a rifle for $100. It just isn't what we were talking about. That's all. I gave an an answer based on what we WERE talking.

So when you say things like "the 95 can't keep up under those conditions" you are referring to a whole different set of conditions. Under said conditions, I will take the 95 Berger over the match bullet for on game performance. And flight differences will be negligible.

Not sure why you keep dwelling on the rings. I recommended the SWFA rings mostly with budget in mind. And because they will do all he needs and more to 600 yds. I also like looks of flat top rings better, and they come in handy as a leveling aid at times as a last resort on some guns.

As for the Burris rings, I have yet to figure out why they are so popular with some or why so many seem to have "issues" to fix with them. I have never found the need with 100s of rifles and scopes. What I can tell you, is that I have never seen any serious LR competitor use them. Ever. So if you wanna go and tell us they are all that and a bag of chips, that's fine. Maybe some will listen. And for said OPs rifle they would be fine. But no better than the SWFAs at less than half the price.

Here is a list of popular scope rings with real shooters behind them. The top 50 shooters. IME I would say it is a pretty accurate assessment:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/10/28/scope-mounts-what-the-pros-use/

Not a Burris on the list, which is not surprising in the least. And one more thing they ALL have in common, every last one of them has a flat top ring.

So if you know something of rings the whole rest of the LR shooting world doesn't, we are all ears.....

Dude, you need to join a debate club, or something. Seems like you're going around looking to argue about anything and everything lately. I'm not sure what your hangup is with me mentioning the .243AI. The OP said he didn't want a custom rifle. That's a far cry from having an AI reamer run into a factory barrel. Either way, I also mentioned the SAAMI .243 pushing a 105 at 3050 fps, which also beats a 95 in the wind and in retained velocity. The only time I'd run a 95 is if I didn't have the mag latitude to feed 105's. I certainly can't fault the 105's when they hit flesh, so going to the 95 for some supposed advantage there is meaningless to me.

I asked about the SWFA rings because you brought up the fact that they have a flat on top. I legitimately wondered what you liked about the flat top, and if it's just for looks that's fine. But it doesn't offer any real advantage over any other ring design. Notice that the SWFA rings don't show up in your hero list, either, so I'm not sure where you're going with that. I don't really care what the Top 50 use for rings. I've got enough tens of thousands of rounds under my belt to know what rings I like, and more importantly, why. The Burris XTR Sigs don't mar the scope finish, they eliminate any concentricity/lapping concerns, they grip like a vice, they add scope adjustment bias so the scope can be zero'd toward the top of the erector range, and finally, they're relatively affordable.

Anyway, carry on using whatever you like. I simply gave the OP a few suggestions. I didn't say that those options were the only ones that would work.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Regarding the OP's question:

"or those of you who prefer the 95 VLD over the 105 VLD, care to share the reason(s)? Assume because it fits the mag box confines better?"

Another reason:

The 105 Bergers won't stabilize properly with less than a 1 in 8 twist. The Ruger American in 243 is a 1 in 9 twist.

Use this calculator to determine what will properly stabilize in a factory twist barrel:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Azshooter

Regarding the OP's question:

"or those of you who prefer the 95 VLD over the 105 VLD, care to share the reason(s)? Assume because it fits the mag box confines better?"

Another reason:

The 105 Bergers won't stabilize properly with less than a 1 in 8 twist. The Ruger American in 243 is a 1 in 9 twist.

Use this calculator to determine what will properly stabilize in a factory twist barrel:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

The 9" twist is why I suggested the Horn HPBT or AM- they'll stabilize fine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 243 has an 8 twist barrel. 105's should work dandy

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I need to join a debate club? Lol.

I believe it was you who quoted me, and then felt the need to, and I quote, "differ on a few points". Which is fine.

Only difference was I kept it to the topic at hand/given parameters and you ventured off into left field with AI chambers, cut throats and milking the most out of a scope that already has 120 moa and is only running to 600 yds. OP specifically stated he wanted a factory rifle to shoot 600 yds.

And I realize the SWFA rings aren't all that. But will do fine for said application at a fraction of the cost. Never had a problem with them, but don't have them on my real expensive rifles either.

It's all good. Lighten up. I have no problem with ya. But don't try to turn it around on me.

And yeah, I do like to debate rifles. Thought you did also. As long as nobody cries, or gets butt hurt I enjoy it. It has never been hard to decipher who actually shoots around here, and who just likes to play rifleman on the internet. I am affording you the benefit of the doubt. But sometimes you need to remember that there are some here who have been playing this game a whole lot longer than you have. And you may just wanna afford them the same luxury.

As for the bullets, like I said, the 95 can be pushed faster. The BC isn't that much less. At 600 yds it is negligible due to the velocity gain. Have ran both, plenty of times, in multiple 243s. It is shorter, better suited to mag contraints, and will stabilize in more different factory twists. I do also believe the Berger to be a better game bullet, especially at higher velocities, though either will work on deer sized critters just fine. Both of my current 1-9.125 twist 243s shoot the 95 Berger more accurately than either of the Hornady 105 offerings. Which I also took into consideration. Although I would say all 3 are accurate enough for most hunting.

JMO.

GFY grin

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Just a few things I think I should mention.

I don't consider running a reamer to lengthen the throat nor to AI a chamber a "custom rifle". I've shot both Hornady and Berger bullets a lot. Hornady almost always has been easier to get to shoot for me and there is little doubt in my mind the Hornady is what I'll try first. I specified I want a rifle set up to take game at 600 yds. I never implied in any way I didn't want to shoot at paper or steel farther than 600 yds. I didn't think I needed to mention that I intend to practice further than 600 at paper or steel because it's a given. Everyone who shoots game at 600 yds practices further if there smart. I've used Burris Signature rings and there my favorite rings to date. Yes they cost a little more but you get what you pay for. I also know the reasons why I want Sig rings. Thanks again Jordan for providing a lot of extra information as I find it very useful. I hope you never limit your replies nor hold back from expounding on your experiences. 😃

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 10/20/16.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing I suggested is limiting you to 600 yds. for the record. Nor is it keeping you from practicing further. Not sure why you would imply otherwise.

And while going AI may not make the rifle itself custom in your mind, it is a custom chambering, as is cutting the throat to a certain to a dimension. Because it does not come that way from the factory. So when you clearly stated you did not want or need a custom, I assumed you planned on leaving it factory. Silly me....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, it may help you vent off some of your pent up aggression grin It's not just me, I noticed you jumped on BobinNH for something silly, too. But at the end of the day I like to cuss and discuss this stuff as much as the next guy, and as long as you don't accuse me of stuff I haven't done, I'm happy.

Nobody ventured into left field. We're talking setting up a factory rifle for LR shooting, and the OP has even mentioned that 600 isn't the furthest he'll shoot. He said he'll shoot antelope to 600, which says nothing about limiting how far he'll shoot targets with said rifle, and he has since clarified that 1000 is completely possible. Having a chamber or throat touched up and setting up a scope so he can actually use the erector range that comes included with the scope at no extra charge, is completely within the parameters of what he's asking. He may think he'll shoot to 1000 right now, but I'm betting once he does that he'll be wanting more distance. When that happens he won't have to tear the rig apart and swap parts- he'll already be good to go.

And I realize the SWFA rings aren't all that. But will do fine for said application at a fraction of the cost. Never had a problem with them, but don't have them on my real expensive rifles either.

It's all good. Lighten up. I have no problem with ya. But don't try to turn it around on me.

And yeah, I do like to debate rifles. Thought you did also. As long as nobody cries, or gets butt hurt I enjoy it. It has never been hard to decipher who actually shoots around here, and who just likes to play rifleman on the internet. I am affording you the benefit of the doubt. But sometimes you need to remember that there are some here who have been playing this game a whole lot longer than you have. And you may just wanna afford them the same luxury.

As for the bullets, like I said, the 95 can be pushed faster. The BC isn't that much less. At 600 yds it is negligible due to the velocity gain. Have ran both, plenty of times, in multiple 243s. It is shorter, better suited to mag contraints, and will stabilize in more different factory twists. I do also believe the Berger to be a better game bullet, especially at higher velocities, though either will work on deer sized critters just fine. Both of my current 1-9.125 twist 243s shoot the 95 Berger more accurately than either of the Hornady 105 offerings. Which I also took into consideration. Although I would say all 3 are accurate enough for most hunting.

JMO.

GFY grin

Can't really fault any of this. I'd agree with you here, and would return you the same courtesy you extended me. Especially the GFY grin

EDIT: Just noticed the OP posted above me saying a lot of the same stuff. You'll have to deal with the duplicate comments *grin*

Last edited by Jordan Smith; 10/20/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I totally missed his post on maybe going to 1000 blush grin

And if you were referring to teasing Bob about putting his bipod on backwards, he is well aware that I was just funnin' with him.

And now that I have been told to GFY, I feel much better about things here.

I gotta go finish installing a Timney 510 in a buds 5R. You know, those triggers you don't like grin

Actually, they are just okay IMO. I think he bought the cheapest aftermarket trigger he could find. I told him to try a Trigger Tech.

Later......

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Ruger American AW in .243 with 105 Horn HPBT bullets and SWFA SS 10x scope. EGW 20MOA rail and Horn XTR Sig rings. Spend the rest on reloading components, and go pop some primers.

Nailed it.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone want to point us in the direction of Horn XTR Sig rings?

ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 65 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,230
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.