Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
There's one in the local shop for sale in of course 50-70. Comes with some brass, dies, card punch, and I think either Lyman or Lee bullet mould. Rifle seems to appear in nice condition and I can tell it wasn't shot or even handled much as the finish is very good.

The barrel is half octagon half round and it has an simple Vernier tang sight included. It's an Navy arms that is an Pedersoli import.

Anyone know if this Pedersoli rolling block and it's kit is an go, or an pass and don't look back type of thing? Asking price $700.

Any thoughts?

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Any thoughts on the Pedersoli repro rolling blocks?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have what sounds like the same general rifle in .45-70. It is half octagon half round, stock has brass buttplate. Weighs about 11 pounds. Navy Arms stamped on the barrel and Pedersoli on the under side of the barrel. It shoots pretty well with a vernier sight but I had to shim one side to get it to shoot consistent groups. The sight is kind of cheap on mine and a barrel mounted peep sight was much better for what I use the rifle for. I paid $600 for it a couple of years ago. I like the action, works very well, and with 500 grain bullets and 70 grains of FF it shoots better than some of my other black powder rifles. I don't see any reason not to get it if you want a rolling block action.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Shoot crossfireoops a PM. He knows a ton about those rifles.

IIRC, the earlier Pedersolis, such as the Navy Arms version, were quality rifles.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a .45-70 many years ago, the one with a heavy 1 & 1/8" octagon barrel. With the tang sight and 400 gr Speers it would do about 1 MOA at 100 yards. I never did try lead bullets & BP in it, but it seemed to shoot fine with jacketed.

With the hammer down I'd check to see how much play is in the breechblock. Also check to see that the sear is not worn. Cross will likely have additional insight.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Navy Arms original,....? e.g. Val Forgett
Contemporary " Reorganized Navy Arms" ....? e.g. Val Forgett JR.

There's 65 years of Italian Manufacturing behind the name and to say that quality has ranged around a bit, would be putting things mildly.

If there's a visible gap / opening between the hammer and the block at full cock, it's one of those weird Pedersoli "Stand off replicas," with the pins spaced further apart than the standard #1.
There WERE a few problems with that particular action evincing a surprise auto-eject function,when pushed hard with competition loads. One .45-70 that wandered in from New Mexico was prone to blowing back to full cock on a regular basis,.....spooky, that.

That said, properly tuned / sicked up, and at the price quoted, that would probably be fun iron to play with,...PARTICULARLY in .50-70.
Good, and generally under rated cartridge, that.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 10/15/16.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I didn't see an gap between hammer and block. It seemed like an decent deal and I ended up picking it up because I don't have a rolling block nor a 50. All I had was Shiloh and C. Sharps.

It seems pretty decent package because all the tools are there to reload and shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a good deal. Post some photos. Would like to see it. I have always wanted a rolling block. I found one at a local gun shop that has been on the wall for some time. It has been re-barreled. It is a 38-55 and pretty clean. I have a Contender pistol in 38-55 and really like it. Not a hot rod but good clean (yeah right) fun. I can shoot modern or 2F in this caliber.

Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

635 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,871
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.