Hop To
P
pwomble Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Greetings all.

How much does this crack hurt the value of a Savage 1899 in 25-35? The rest of the gun is in pretty good shape. Serial number 113568 with a 20" barrel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by pwomble; 10/15/16.
BP-B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I would call that more then a crack! looks like the piece is completely broken and maybe reglued. I think if it was fired that piece might actually break off. It takes it right out of the collectable category to me.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
-25/35% GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
P
pwomble Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
So, what is the better option?

1. Leave it as is.
2. Find a non-matching serial number stock and forearm?
3. Try to fix this one somehow better than it is now.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Depends entirely upon what you plan on doing with it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That will be a difficult repair cosmetically, the damage will likely always be apparent to the casual observer. It's a damn shame that stock got broken. Beautiful rifle.

That said, repairing the wood is your best first step, then look for replacement wood as you choose. If you choose AAA custom replacement wood, most 1899 lovers will want it for the caliber, and be willing to pay extra for the nice wood.

Collector value is gone. You have a great 1899 barreled action in a desirable caliber!

Last edited by JeffG; 10/16/16.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Leave it for someone else to worry about.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The desire for that rifle will be entirely for its shoot-ability. If, and only if, it has a nice bore (and with a .25-35 that's a big if). Given that it meets that criteria I would stick a replacement stock on it and shoot the heck out of it- but only if the repair weren't sound. Keep the old busted one to pass on with the gun if you ever get rid of it.

Weird, but most of the .25-35's I looked at had rotten bores. Is it coincidence or have others noted the same thing?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a number of rifles like that , to me it depends on the caliber ,rairity and configuration , model,.
far less guns to chose from in Canada and even though it got busted its an honest gun , clean it up use it . if you don't like hunting or using it with the broken stock repair have another made but keep the original.
I have had stocks made to repair guns that guys have brought me that were family guns 2 had hand made replacement butt stocks in oak one in a hard wood , all somewhat functional but the guys wanted the family guns back close to original, finding cresent butt plates has been the hardest part of fixing their guns.

norm

that plastic butt plate is as hard or harder to replace as a old cresent one don't lose or break it.

Last edited by norm99; 10/16/16.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
There's always a bunch of plastic repro butt plates on ebay, Norm. But I guess that doesn't do you much good in Canada, what with the restrictions on foreign trade of evil gun parts.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Weird, but most of the .25-35's I looked at had rotten bores. Is it coincidence or have others noted the same thing?

I agree with that 100%,. however that 1899B 25-35 that I posted pictures of a while back has an absolute pristine bore and shoots light out. It is going to the iland next month to kill a deer or two. In January I am travelling to pick up the two I let go last May. I bought the B in 25-35 and a B in 30-30. I am picking up the one in 32-40 and the 38-55. All 4 of these guns had mirror bores. A couple have small tang cracks, but I would be foolish to pass because of that. The two cases in the picture were the FIRST two I fired. They BOTH split. I was to the point of being devastated. I shot the rest of what I had and nothing more split. Since then I have fired over two hundred rounds with no issues. It was brand new Hornady brass.

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
There you go! Nice, LBK. I think you're well armed for your trip.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a sweet group! Strange how things happen like those splits. I can't tell from the photo but guessing the split is right in the side of the case, long ways? If so I would guess bad brass. But what are the chances those two would get fired first?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rick99
That's a sweet group! Strange how things happen like those splits. I can't tell from the photo but guessing the split is right in the side of the case, long ways? If so I would guess bad brass. But what are the chances those two would get fired first?

I was REALLY perplexed. The splits are very hard to see in the pics, but yes they are long on the sides. If you look closely, it looks like a black dot at the ends of the splits on both cases. Not a single one since, Fingers crossed.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ya i have not bought any yet but will , original is nice grin

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by Rick99

I was REALLY perplexed. The splits are very hard to see in the pics, but yes they are long on the sides. If you look closely, it looks like a black dot at the ends of the splits on both cases. Not a single one since, Fingers crossed.

i have had nothing but trouble with Hornady brass. never with factory loaded, but always with their brass, and i load at wimp levels.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (12308300, 16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 78 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.