Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
There's a big difference between the immigrants of a century or three ago that came here for the opportunity to make something of themselves and the immigrants of today that are mostly after someone else paying for their food, medicine and kids education.

And most wanted to assimilate.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
Article 1 Section 2 to start... or does "Indians not included, three-fifths for all others" not mean something? Yeah the Founding Fathers did not want women, Indians, or idiots voting.

So your feeling is only Angry White Men should vote? I can see what your candidate DT is in his final throw of Death. You will ride that horse into the ground I am sure!

Old man...You live in a brave new world and you really need to stop pretending it is 1962. This country is and always has been made up of immigrants and they vote just like you do. Find something that you can identify with and hold on because the ride is going to get bumpy for you!

Whoa azzhat! You asked where to find voting in the Constitution... as if it was not there. I gave it to you. Trying to turn it to a different argument does not cut it.

I repeat the concept this sidetrack started with... the US would be far better off if fewer idiots like you voted.

Originally Posted by ironbender
He is unworthy of the effort and as you incinerated smile his lack of understanding is galactic in proportion.

toldja so.
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
There's a big difference between the immigrants of a century or three ago that came here for the opportunity to make something of themselves and the immigrants of today that are mostly after someone else paying for their food, medicine and kids education.

My family is Italian and came here less that 100 years ago. We came for the jobs, education, a chance to become successful and guess what? It worked!

Next!

rost495: the Coffee is always on....Don't forget your walker!

Last edited by northwestalaska; 10/21/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In today's ADN... Notice the headline makes it clear whom is paying for the initiative. I also notice Sullivan and Murky are all for it... Sullivan could run against Marky again and I would not vote for him.

https://www.adn.com/politics/2016/1...ush-to-link-voter-registration-with-pfd/

Buoyed by Outside cash, initiative backers make final push to link Alaska voter registration with PFD
Author: Nathaniel Herz Updated: 1 hour ago Published 4 hours ago
A citizen initiative that would automatically register nonvoters who file for an Alaska Permanent Fund dividend has drawn money and endorsements from across the political spectrum, with support from a conservation group and an oil company, unions and the state's two Republican U.S. senators.

But as the initiative ramps up a statewide advertising blitz backed by big Outside money, it's also facing growing skepticism — especially from conservatives, who claim the measure is written to boost the fortunes of left-leaning candidates.

Democrats typically get more support among low-income residents, the elderly, minorities and students, the same people represented disproportionately among the unregistered. But Republicans argue that making it too easy to vote enables fraud.

Supporters of the Permanent Fund initiative describe it as a nonpartisan effort to promote civic participation, automatically registering tens of thousands of Alaskans who have applied for dividends. That would make it less likely for people to get turned away at the polls or miss out on voting because they didn't sign up before the registration deadline, which comes a month before the election — one of the earliest in the country.

"That happened to eight guys on my soccer team," said John-Henry Heckendorn, the Anchorage political consultant who's running the initiative campaign. "I think there are multi-cycle consequences when someone shows up and is told, 'Sorry, you can't participate.' It just leaves a bad taste in people's mouth."

U.S. Sens. Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan, both Republicans, endorsed the effort last month, while former Democratic U.S. Sen. Mark Begich, who lost to Sullivan in 2014, is also a backer.

Anchorage political consultant John-Henry Heckendorn, right, is leading an initiative campaign to register Alaskans to vote using their Permanent Fund dividend applications. He talks with Anchorage Assemblyman Forrest Dunbar, another backer of the initiative on election night, April 5, 2016. (Marc Lester / Alaska Dispatch News)
Anchorage political consultant John-Henry Heckendorn, right, is leading an initiative campaign to register Alaskans to vote using their Permanent Fund dividend applications. He talks with Anchorage Assemblyman Forrest Dunbar, another backer of the initiative on election night, April 5, 2016. (Marc Lester / Alaska Dispatch News)
Oil company BP and the Alaska branch of the American Civil Liberties Union have each chipped in $10,000 to support the initiative. Other financial backers include an array of unions, Alaska Native corporations and organizations, and Alaska Conservation Voters.

The initiative campaign is running ads that highlight the unusual alliance between groups and individuals that more often take opposite sides in Alaska's political fights.

"In an election season where it seems like no one agrees on anything, everyone agrees on one thing," the narrator says, reading off a list of the initiative's supporters.

The measure is relatively straightforward. It would use data from Alaskans' dividend applications to automatically register them to vote, or update their existing registration if their addresses don't match — a step up from the optional registration offered to people at the DMV.

If the initiative succeeds, the campaign says it would boost representation for groups that sometimes have trouble keeping registrations active or up-to-date because of where they live or how often they move, like Alaska Natives, younger residents, oil company employees and members of the military.

In 2014, 9,700 people had their ballots only "partially" counted — meaning that their votes in statewide races were accepted but votes for local candidates were rejected because the ballot was cast in the wrong district.

Supporters say the demographics of the underrepresented groups cut across party lines, even if many early backers of the initiative were affiliated with union or Democratic politics, like Sitka Rep. Jonathan Kreiss-Tomkins and Anchorage Assemblyman Forrest Dunbar, both Democrats.

"We really didn't look at it from what pockets it would give us or gain us," said Kim Reitmeier, the campaign's chair and head of an organization of Alaska Native corporate leaders, the ANCSA Regional Association. "The reason we're engaged with it is because we're nonpartisan."

The Alaska Republican Party doesn't have an official position on the initiative. But some GOP leaders and conservatives have criticized and resisted proposals that would make it easier for people to register, arguing that Alaskans shouldn't be able to vote unless they've made an effort to register themselves.

"There are people out there who don't know diddly squat about our country," said Peter Goldberg, the former Alaska Republican Party chair who's now a member of the Republican National Committee. "And I'm not comfortable with people that are total ignorant about our system voting." Goldberg was quoted Tuesday by the online journal Politico as agreeing with Donald Trump's suggestion that the 2016 election will be rigged.

[How charges of voter fraud became a political strategy]

Republican skepticism about the integrity of the election process dovetails with other GOP efforts to add new layers of security to voting, instead of removing barriers. National and local Republicans have promoted voter ID laws, for example, claiming they're needed to reduce voter fraud, though opponents argue that such restrictions are unnecessary and suppress the votes of the poor, minorities, the elderly and students — voters who traditionally are more likely to vote for Democrats.

In the state Legislature, Senate Bill 93, which would have allowed people to register to vote on Election Day, died this year in the Senate State Affairs Committee chaired by Bill Stoltze, R-Chugiak, who never scheduled a hearing on the legislation.

"I don't even remember it," Stoltze said in a phone interview. He added, "I think it's pretty easy to vote in the first place."

Attacks on the Permanent Fund registration initiative have escalated in the past week, with additional criticism of its cost, which the state estimates at $1 million initially and about $300,000 annually — though backers say those figures don't include potential savings from reduced paperwork for voter registrars.

The initiative's supporters say they have polling data — which they won't release publicly — that shows their idea has public support as long as people understand what the measure does and doesn't do. But they're worried that campaign-season rhetoric about Gov. Bill Walker's partial veto of Alaskans' Permanent Fund dividends could make voters confused or suspicious.

Those fears spurred the initiative's backers to raise more than $850,000 in the last two months to pay for its ad campaign. The bulk of that money — about $550,000 — came from the New Venture Fund, a Washington, D.C.-based foundation that supports global development and health projects, conservation and climate change initiatives, and education programs.

The fund has a project that supports efforts to increase voter registration and agreed to support the Alaska campaign when it was asked, said Lee Bodner, New Venture Fund's president.

"We think it is generally good for democracy when more people can vote — that's why we're doing it," Bodner said in a phone interview from Washington.

The foundation, which reported $180 million in revenue in 2014, doesn't disclose its donors, who typically give money to support a particular initiative, Bodner said. Tax filings show New Venture Fund received more than $25 million in 2014 from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for education and global health programs.

The initiative campaign has also received $250,000 from the Washington, D.C.-based National Education Association, the country's largest labor union. Most Alaska teachers are represented by NEA affiliates.

Heckendorn said the initiative campaign went looking for the Outside money after relying primarily on local cash for the early stages of its campaign.

"There's a pretty limited herd of caribou in Alaska that donates to political campaigns and everyone is shooting at them — and at some point you run out of them," Heckendorn said. "This was a local effort that started with zero national involvement."

If the initiative passes, supporters say that tens of thousands of voters could be newly registered — Heckendorn estimates 35,000. But the state hasn't offered its own official projection, and its own data isn't helpful in developing one, in part because Alaska's current voter lists are inflated with people who may have moved out of state or to a different Alaska address, according to Carol Thompson, the elections division's absentee and petition coordinator.

There are actually more registered voters on the state's lists — 528,560 — than the 495,910 people over 18 years old who applied for a Permanent Fund dividend last year. But the last time the state cross-referenced its registration data with PFD data, several years ago, it found about 75,000 dividend applicants who weren't registered, Thompson said.

The Pew Charitable Trusts, meanwhile, has estimated that there are nearly 200,000 eligible but unregistered voters in Alaska, based on motor vehicle records.

Reitmeier, who for years has worked to register Alaska Native voters through the "Get Out the Native Vote" campaign, said the initiative could free up time and effort for the promotion of deeper involvement in the democratic process.

"We put so much time and resources into voter registration," she said. "Now we can turn that energy towards voter engagement — it really changes our directive."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If they made it mandatory to be a registered voter before submitting for the PFD they'd not have to promote their voter fraud.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some with principle refuse to take the PFD... Why can't they vote?

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Let me spell this out real slow for you... please try to keep up...

Our Founding Fathers warned us about folks like you. Having fewer morons like you voting is far better for the country.

You earned a signature.

Ray Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good post Sitka deer. All of the unions and other groups from outside of Alaska was the first thing I noticed about Ballot Measure 1. I also noticed Lisa, Begich, and a bunch of other politicians promoting the measure.

Something else that sounded fishy in the Ballot Measure 1 commercials was their saying that it will help military members "stay up to date," whatever than means.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by batch
Don't support it, just silly. Get off your duff and register normally.

Normally for a D? Or an R?

Do Ds have to die before they can register?

They don't HAVE to die, but the get double votes for dieing.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
If they made it mandatory to be a registered voter before submitting for the PFD they'd not have to promote their voter fraud.

I like that idea but voter fraud is right up there with rouge Yettis

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

I like that idea but voter fraud is right up there with rouge Yettis

Rouge? So you were really calling Sister Sarah "red" when you were misusing the word?

Try "rogue"... never saw a red yetti...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
'...the intention of the founding fathers...' RE: Voting.

Lets see, all State houses are LOCAL/STATE elections. Not exactly a 'Founding Father Issue'

US House Members are a result of STATE/LOCAL elections.

Originally, the US Senate was composed of men sent/chosen by the various STATE houses, NO direct voting issue there.

The POTUS and VPOTUS are elected by the various STATE Electors, chosen by the States. How they are chosen and cast a ballot is determined by each State Constitution. This was changed some, from the 'Founding Fathers' original procedure, when the 12th Amendment was ratified in 1804.

While some call it a Federal Election by the General Population, there really is none, IMHO.

What the Constitution does is lay out, for the States, some conditions that cannot be used to prohibit someone from voting; race, creed, age above 18, sex......

All elections and voting are/is at the STATE level.

The 'Founding Fathers' did not spell out who was eligible to vote, leaving that to the States.

The 15th, 19th, 24th and 26th Amendments, beginning in 1870, are the only places that specifically mention a 'Right to Vote' and only in regards to prohibiting a 'denial or restriction' of that 'Right'.

I am from Florida and IMHO some things should NOT be made easier just for the sake of numbers.

If FL were to allow voting for 12 year olds and up it would not violate any rule/law or otherwise, and lots more would/might vote, but that doesn't make it better.......

But what do I know, I'm often wrong, it's part of my charm!!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Infants can receive a pfd. There is no need to complicate the pfd system by picking out certain ages for certain things. Registering to vote is a great topic for a senior year class in school. Getting registered to vote is easy enough now. If one can not put forth the little effort required to vote and take part in the governing of the country - staying informed of the issues is probably way too much to ask. Voting is a duty, honor and privilege - treat it as such.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You also don't have top be a citizen to receive the pfd.

Why would one support linking the dividend to voter registration and allow non US citizens to vote?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I see it as a legalized opening the door to democrap voter fraud. Even though democraps pay little or no attention to legalities.

There are plenty of fraudulent PFD applications every year. We see it all the time from the third-world cannery employees.

What he said. This has fraud written all over it.

Like others said, can't get off your ass to register, then don't vote.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Now their TV ads are claiming that this measure 'preserves the integrity' of the voting process.

That's a stretch.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Certainly it preserves the integrity...

of an already corrupt system...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 11point, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 83 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.