Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Just wondering if there was any consensus on the most accurate .22LR ammo for this rifle?

In this case, I'm not concerned about the $, velocity or noise level.

Thanks to you CZ folks.

Jeff

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Wolf Match Extra seems to have a pretty good reputation on rimfirecentral.com, but it goes without saying that ANY rimfire will have it's favorites and there's no guarantees whatsoever that your rifle will favor someone else's choice.

MY 452 does like Wolf, though............ It's not MY favorite, as I prefer to use HP hunting ammo like MiniMags or PowerPoints, or maybe Velocitors. It depends on what you're doing with it, shooting paper or squirrel heads.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Lapua Center-X, and Aquila 38g super extra (sub sonic), it also did good at 100yds with S-K Hi-velocity

Last edited by JeffG; 10/16/16.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Mine does well with Eley Target.

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My 452 American shoots really well with orange box Eley club

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine shoots the SK standard flavor very well. I believe it is made by Lapua. CCI standard is another that shoots excellent.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mine seems to shoot everything pretty well. I don't shoot a lot of paper with it, mostly ground squirrels.. I love that fact that it shoots mini mags, yellowjackets and stingers really well.. My favorite of all my .22's.

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have the silhouette model, just found one it really likes, Federal target. 15 rounds into a little snow man perhaps just beyond a 1/4" at 50 yards. Also does well with SK magazine. They are accurate. Each 22Lr rifle is unique to itself, it will tell you what it likes.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It will likely shoo any of the higher end target ammo equally well. You will only get minimal increases in accuracy from a $7 per 50 round ammo to a $25-$50 per 50 round ammo. You have to decide if it's worth it to you. It's not to me since I'm not shooting benchrest competition and wouldn't be using that gun if I was.

Wolf MT or SK standard plus is your best bet followed by the lower end Eley ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is like most of the others, SK Standard and recently tried a brick of Aquila Match that shot same POI as the SK.

CK
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been having good luck recently with Federal Target and Winchester T-22. Half inch groups at 50 yards with a few different rifles including a BRNO/CZ (BRNO#2)- nothing to write home to mom about but none too shabby regardless. For serious shooting I go straight to Eley Tenex or some old Federal Gold Ultra Match stashed away in the "rimfire vault". But it has to be a special reason to unlimber ammo that's valued at 3-4 times that of Federal SV Target, just to shave group size by half. (Usually that means an audience whom I wish to impress. grin )

Really, about the only ammo I worked with recently that didn't at least provide 50 yard squirrel brain pan accuracy has been el-cheapo bulk ammo of different flavors. If it's packed loose in a milk carton-like package I don't even bother anymore, no matter how cheap it may be. Then again, my days of rapid fire blasting willy-nilly are looooong behind me.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I found Aquila SE 38grn hp standard velocity (sub sonic) to be great for price and accuracy. It was as cheap as standard grade ammo at the time, had good accuracy, and was a sure killer. I haven't had it around for a few years though.

I must have shot 8-10+ bricks of that stuff through my CZ.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Mine really isn't that fussy, but CCI MiniMag and Blazers seem to make tight little groups.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There are a lot of good choices out there.
When you find what your rifle likes, stock up...

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Perhaps I should have specified this is for paper punching.

Thanks for the many replies! Saving for the notebook ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Mine is like most of the others, SK Standard and recently tried a brick of Aquila Match that shot same POI as the SK.

Damn, I didn't know any .22 LR ammo cost $50 for 50!

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I'm still running through my case of Lapua Master L.. shoots great out of my 452 and my kimber.

“One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it" -Jose Ortega y Gasset

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mine shoots everything tried so far pretty good. Best groups with Norma Match.

Tried many brands of bulk, Wolf Match, Fed Gold, SK Standard, Tac-22, R.E.M. Target, CCI SV and a few others.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jeff,

bought mine before Obama got into office...

mine does field service shooting sage rats....

got in excess of 30,000 rounds down the barrel on it...

but of course Obama gets into office and that starts the great ammo shortage and hoarding...

before that, Mine was fed Federal Bulk box 22 LR 40 grain Lead RN or HPs... for $8.99 a box of 550...

I'd go thru 3 boxes on a good day over in Klamath...

With the 6 x 24 scope on top, the rifle was up to the task of head shooting sage rats/ gophers at up to 125 yds all day long.. with the Walmart/Federal Bulk 22 LR ammo...

head shots isn't a stunt thing of gophers...when they are hit in the head, they flop around like a fish out of water taking up a 20 yd radius of their flopping around before expiring...so that is where I'd usually aim... more fun than just bang/flop...

The CZ 452 had an 85 % or better success rate on hitting that little spot...

so they are pretty accurate and not that picky...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently picked up a CZ 455 American. So far I've tried Norma Match, Wolf, and Remington Eley. Of those, Norma Match was the most consistent, putting 5 shots in less than 3/4" or less at 50 yards. I feel like it wants to shoot better as it will stack 3-4 in tight and then throw one way out of the group. Not sure if this is a gun issue that could be fixed by bedding or an ammo issue. I haven't installed pillars into the stock but I did put two bedding pads in, one around the rear action screw, one just forward of the front action screw. With that, the barrel stays centered and free floated in the stock.

What size groups are y'all getting at 50 yards?

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,088
Posts18,463,966
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.