Print Thread
Hop To
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wondering if the recent ruling by the AIC re: definition of 'manufacturing' has affected the barrel-makers.

Reason I ask is that I ordered a barrel from Pac-Nor on 9/17 and it's on the way here by 10/14!!!! Under a month? Usual wait times are at least 12 weeks - for ANY maker.. WTH?

Anybody else experiencing faster-than-normal ship times?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It took six months to get a Bartlein 30 cal 11.25 twist. Shilen and Douglas come quickly from Brownells. Two Krieger 224 barrels took three months from order to delivery. I don't know if the specialties manufactures are that busy or something else is involved.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I routinely get Shilen barrels in less than a month, just got in a 7mm in about 2 weeks, direct from Shilen. Krieger orders have been 6-7 months normally. I won't buy from Pac-Nor.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are quite a few Bartleins ready to be shipped at Grizzly Industrial. I got the two I purchased within a week each time.

http://www.grizzly.com/search/?q=(rifle+AND+barrels)+OR+(rifle+OR+barrels)

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
The gun smith I ordered me a Kreiger last spring, it took 4-5 months. It was a 20 cal.
It turned out to be an excellent shooter.

NRA Patron
IC B2

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dustylongshot
It took six months to get a Bartlein 30 cal 11.25 twist. Shilen and Douglas come quickly from Brownells. Two Krieger 224 barrels took three months from order to delivery. I don't know if the specialties manufactures are that busy or something else is involved.
I've suspected that the barrels Shilen ships to Brownell's are their 'seconds'.. They shoot OK to date, but every one I've had in had pretty bad runout near the middle when spinning between centers. I use those only when speed is of the essence.

In 18 years I've had exactly TWO barrels that wouldn't shoot; one Pac-Nor and one Krieger.. The guy with the Krieger told me just to round-file that one and replace with a Lilja.. Problem solved.

Pac-Nor wanted theirs back for inspection. They found a problem, shipped me a new barrel and paid to install it.. Good stuff IMHO..

Only barrels I stay away from are those from Douglas, Wilson and Shaw..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I highly doubt the Shilen barrels Brownells sell are seconds. Wade Hull that owns Shilen barrels tells me he makes 25000 barrels a year. Shilen's low end barrels (seconds) are sold under the name of Lone Star barrels.
I will install any barrel the customer wants, but I only keep Shilen and Krieger in stock. I never had to take a Shilen off that wouldnt shoot to the owners satisfaction.

Exception to that is one local prairie dog shooter that shoot his barrels hot then shoots CO2 down the barrel to quicky cool. Only has half the life of normal barrels. I believe this screws with the metallurgy of the barrel steel.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just ordered a Hart barrel a few weeks ago and was quoted their normal lead time of 12-14weeks.

David

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have also talked to Wade from SHilen, they do not send out "seconds". I have had two barrels from Pac-Nor; both had loose spots in the bore, could feel it with a tight fitting patch. Sent them both back, they would not replace them, ssid nothing wrong. I don't use them anymore.

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jkob
I have also talked to Wade from SHilen, they do not send out "seconds"..
Good to know.. Perhaps I've just been unlucky re: the ones I've gotten through Brownell's.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I highly doubt the Shilen barrels Brownells sell are seconds. Wade Hull that owns Shilen barrels tells me he makes 25000 barrels a year. Shilen's low end barrels (seconds) are sold under the name of Lone Star barrels.
I will install any barrel the customer wants, but I only keep Shilen and Krieger in stock. I never had to take a Shilen off that wouldnt shoot to the owners satisfaction.

Exception to that is one local prairie dog shooter that shoot his barrels hot then shoots CO2 down the barrel to quicky cool. Only has half the life of normal barrels. I believe this screws with the metallurgy of the barrel steel.

Shilen hasn't offered Lonestar barrels for at least 15yrs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Shilen hasn't offered Lonestar barrels for at least 15yrs.

And now even the Cro-moly barrels come hand lapped.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,109
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.