Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
257Rob Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have only recently seen what I think would be a good shotgun for hunting/home defense/young and womenfolks...The Remington 870 Youth. Lower recoil, and the 21" barrel looks as if it would be a handy length,
, but, wondering if the shortened buttstock could be easily replaced, as youngsters grow, or could a full-size adult also use the shorter length of pull comfortably?
Does anybody know what choke it comes with, or does it have different choke tubes?

Are magazine extensions available?

I couldn't find out for sure, but I believe it only comes with a 2 3/4" chamber. Would that be a handicap for either a field or defense gun?

Thank you

What's the worst thing that can happen? O.K., what's the next worst thing?
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If the 870 fits you for field, it would work well.
There are so many parts & options for 870s that none of these are issues.

The only one is Ive never seen an extension for 20 gauges, but they probably exist somewhere.

Im sure the 20 gauge youth comes in 3 inch mag because my duck hunting buddy's daughter uses one for ducks. Google it...

Good luck

Alternative: Browning BPS upland in 20. Or micro midas. Not as many aftermarket options. I have a bps upland in the bedroom closet when my short barreled 12 is changed over for turkey hunting mode.

Last edited by humdinger; 10/20/16.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 20 ga youth at the ready for the wife and kids. We do get the occasional bear. I have shot a round of skeet with it and it shoots and handles well despite its small size. A local guy shot a bear in the face with a 410 Judge and killed it so I think the 20ga 2-3/4" would be fine.

NRA Life Member
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Mag extensions are available, however, if like the 12 ga versions.........the new sporting guns have a mag spring retainer that is keyed to two dimples in the mag tube. Plastic, the mag spring retainer goes in and clocks to lock.

The old style retainer is a cup that is slotted, you have to pry them out, tamp back in.

The new style requires no tools.

However, those mag tube dimples mean no shell rim will pass them. So you have to pop them out, or drill away for extra capacity (w ext mag).

My 870 Supermag turkey gun (23" vent rib Remchoke bbl) has been drilled to use an extension mag. It has the old style mag spring retainer.

The older guns with such retainers.........kept the magazine cap on with a detent on the barrel ring.

The new style guns with plastic clocking mag spring retainer..........have a jagged crown on the spring retainer. The points of the crown correspond to notches inside of the new gun magazine caps.

So...........doing a conversion means you have no detent/ratchet action to keep the magazine cap (cap, not the retainer).......from backing off. You should be able to hand snug it and it stay put. Or use an old style bbl and cap (old bbls with detent, old cap with detent pockets on outside edge).

When hunting I just reach up and check the mag cap for tight halfway through the day. It was barely loose once, last couple yrs of hunting, it stayed put (dove, less than two boxes of shells burned in a hunt).

My 870 Supermag has the original non detent bbl, and old style spring retainer swap, mag tube tabs drilled out. I don't remember what cap it runs......proly the original. Not a problem, been shooting it, hundreds of shots per yr, for about a decade.

It's a Supermag Express, older pre cerberus......no probs.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/21/16.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For the money I purchased a Stevens 20 ga pump with pistol grip style full butt stock and fiber optic green front sight and ghost ring rear sight with 50 rounds of buckshot NEW for $199.98 @Dicks sporting goods ,all I can say is the lady of the house handles it well ,very well !!!

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 808outdoors, 21, 1973cb450, 12 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.