Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Brad
Frankly, I don't think the Interlock is the "Poor Man's Partition"... I think that title belongs to the Speer Hot Core. The Interlock is somewhere behind the Partition/Hotcore...

That's interesting. Since I joined the 'fire' in 2010,...

you are the only one I've read say those 2 things. I had my share of blow ups from Speer H Cs ON GAME and dropped them.(the bullets that is)

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 10/19/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Never use one again in a Magnum for sure 7mm Rem mag 162 grain interlock blew up like a hand grenade on a huge mulie buck....

Not to argue just different experience.

I don't know how many WT I've killed with the 7 RM and Hornady 139 BTSP----3300FPS---chronoed and never had that happen.

Yes, STUFF happens, sometimes just once.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
140 factory rolled did well in my Montana. I'm not concerned about them bouncing off.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My guns prefer Sierra Gamekings.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
My guns prefer Sierra Gamekings.

By all rights, they should. The sierra is a sleeker design. However, the interlock is a stronger bullet. I use both on game and notice more blood shot when I use the sierra GK. I've also seen more jacket and core separations with the GK. With that being said, I've never had either one bounce off. This year, my buddy took a nice 3 point mulie with his 22-250 and the old 55gr. interlock and I was surprised how well the bullet did in the little cartridge. It busted right through the leg bone, and I mean busted the hell out of the leg bone, smashed through rib, took out the heart, busted though another rib and landed in the offside hide. I found the bullet and it lost half its weight, but it was still impressive how well it dug for a little pill. Killed that big ol buck deader than hell... I'll be using either a 225gr. .338 interlock in my 338 wm or 200gr. partition in my 30-06 this year on my elk hunt. I have full faith in either bullet to perform well on any sized bull I run across... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
.30 cal, 165gr BTSP Interlock has been my "go to" hunting bullet for over twenty years. As accurate as I can shoot, in a number of .308 Win, .30-40 Krag, and .30-06 rifles.

Ed

Took my first big game animal, a bull elk, with a 7mm RM and a 162g BTSP InterLock back in the early 1980's. Hit a rib dead center going in, missed or barely nicked the ribs on the off-side, where the bullet was found under the hide. Retained weight was less than 48% even thought the challenge to the bullet's integrity wasn't that great.

Switched to Speer 160g Grand Slams and used them and my 7mm RM exclusively for the next 20+ years. Finally recovered my first the last year I used them in my rifles. It had destroyed both shoulder joints of a 5x5 bull with over 70% weight retention. If Speer hadn't changed the construction of the Grand Slams I might still be using them. (My hunting buddy still is and I used his 7mm RM/160g Grand Slam handloads to take my bull last year.)

Are the Interlocks ever "wrong"? Depends on what you want for performance. I've often said most any bullet will work most of the time. For myself, I prefer North Fork SS, Swift Frame, Barnes TTSX and Nosler AccuBond for my hunting. Reliable but limited expansion coupled with higher weight retention and the ability to penetrate deeper are what I want out of a bullet.

Asking if an InterLock is ever "wrong" is like asking if a .308 Win is ever "wrong". I've never taken an animal that I couldn't have taken just as well with a .308 Win. That said and when hunting elk I prefer my .280 Rem, 7mm RM, .30-06s, .300WM and .338WM. Thought a lot about taking my .308 Win this year but decided that while it might do the job I had better options. The .300WM and .338WM are the choice this year. The only question now is which to carry and which to leave in the truck as the backup, a question that will be answered by range time this weekend.

Just because something isn't a "wrong" choice doesn't mean there aren't "better" choices.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm doing the majority of my hunting this year with 150 Interlocks in my 30-06.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Interlocks have always worked well for me. My preferred bullet next to the partition.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a 130gr .270 fail to make two holes in an average-sized buck in a steady rain in 2011. Left me with no blood trail, so I had a tough tracking job. Pefect mushroom, total destruction, just no blood. If not for a clump of hair knocked off the far side of his ribs, I would have written it off as a m-miss.

I've got some .277 150s to try with RL26, so I haven't given up on them just yet. The 130s were the most accurate bullet ever fired in that rifle, by a good bit.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Brad
Frankly, I don't think the Interlock is the "Poor Man's Partition"... I think that title belongs to the Speer Hot Core. The Interlock is somewhere behind the Partition/Hotcore...

That's interesting. Since I joined the 'fire' in 2010,...

you are the only one I've read say those 2 things. I had my share of blow ups from Speer H Cs ON GAME and dropped them.(the bullets that is)

Jerry

Jerry, I've never seen anything other than picture perfect HC's come out of animals, including one 160 grain from a 7mm RM pulled from the off-side of a bull elk. It looked marketing-picture perfect.

Me personally, I've only used the 120 gr. 25 cal, and 150, and 165 gr. 30 cal's, and those at 250 Savage, 30-06 and 308 velocities, so I really can't speak to the entire lineup of HC bullets.

As to accuracy, I've never had an issue getting little groups with them, and sometimes among the very best for a given rifle.

All this is to say, no one's experience is all-encompassing and weird things happen with bullets.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Brad I agree.

I told olkelkhunter the same in a post above.

I suspect bad lots of bullets give bad experiences on occasions.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I will say it again my daughter killed her moose with a 270 using regular ol 140gr hornady btsp.. one shot one dead animal.. nothing wrong with hornady bullets..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My load is 56 grains of IMR 4350, Win LRP primers and 3070 Hornady Spire 180 grain bullet for my 30/06. I've used this for shiras moose, elk, mtn goat, bighorn sheep, antelope, black bear and deer. IMO-- the right bullet for the lower 48. Hornady 3070 spire point is an interlock flat base bullet. This has been my load for 25+ years, no reason to change. I'm 2" high @ 100 yards----never had changed the Leupold.

Last edited by colorado bob; 10/20/16.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by colorado bob
My load is 56 grains of IMR 4350, Win LRP primers and 3070 Hornady Spire 180 grain bullet for my 30/06. I've used this for shiras moose, elk, mtn goat, bighorn sheep, antelope, black bear and deer. IMO-- the right bullet for the lower 48. Hornady 3070 spire point is an interlock flat base bullet. This has been my load for 25+ years, no reason to change. I'm 2" high @ 100 yards----never had changed the Leupold.

Love this post...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
I used to...should rephrase that...still do, but am amazed at the nonsense Hornady dreams up with zombies, plastic tips, rocket science, and dropping many of their interlock line, including most round noses, even though it is a part of their logo.

.... Today's upcoming "sportsman" is a different breed who has to climb mountains during raging snowstorms, shoot a black something or other rifles at super long range, and has tattoos of skulls with flames coming off them. I just don't fit in.

This is hilarious!

Ever notice those guys never smile? They don't look like they are having fun at all.

They look more like they are engaging ISIS or guarding some Mid East embassy. eek

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jorgeI---I use the KISS method. Bob

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The 154 rn's shoot so well in my 7mm-08's and are accurate that I bought 7 boxes when they were discontinued. At New England deer and bear ranges, can't think of a better bullet to use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Nosler PT's for the most part and Hornady Interlocks for target practice as they shoot to the same point of aim for same weight/caliber almost every time and are much cheaper.
However, I have lost 2 head of game to Interlocks that didn't do what I thought they should.

1 was a large elk my son shot at about 100-125 yards. Bullet hit the perfect location just behind the shoulder but the elk was stepping the heavy leg bone came up right in the line of the bullet flight. My son grabbed the wrong box of bullets in camp that morning (he also prefers the PT's) . I saw the bullet impact and the elk ran, so we assumed it would be just a few yards away. There was a blood trail 4" wide for at least 100 yards, then slowed to a trickle but enough to track for at least 3 1/2 miles. Never did find that elk. I assume the bullet hit the heavy leg bone between the knee and scapula and deflected or came apart. Lots of superficial blood for a blood trail as even the small drops were always in the same foot print, but not enough penetration to get through the heavy shoulder bones.

Had almost the exact thing happen on a big Mule deer. I would still use them most of the time, but I use the partitions as my go-to bullet.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
I used to...should rephrase that...still do, but am amazed at the nonsense Hornady dreams up ... and dropping many of their interlock line, including most round noses, even though it is a part of their logo.

This right here. The .284 175 grain RN Interlock is out of their catalog as well. Some of us in the east and southeast hunt in some pretty thick places where fifty yards is a long shot. I wish Hornady would remember that.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,219
Posts18,466,425
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.