-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is adapted from the recipe found here: Elk Liver Pate. I used her recipe the first round and it was too bitter (too much mustard), too much butter and the alcohol ratio was way too high. I made some adjustments and added a few things and it came out way better. My recipe is what is printed but is derived from hers. Notice my recipe is for 2lbs liver, hers is for 1/2 lb. If you follow her recipe cut the alcohol contest by at least half in my opinion.

Choice of liquor:
I used a light Armagnac the first go-round and that was good except the ratio was way too strong. The second batch I used a Calvados and that was excellent. I believe any good quality Cognac, Armagnac or Calvados would all be good choices and I also think a light to moderately peated Scotch would be worth a try at some point i.e. Highland Park, Springbank, Bunnahabhain etc.

My Recipe:

Milk, for soaking liver
1 quart water or enough to cover liver when cooking
1 tsp salt
2 celery stalks, split and halved
6 sprigs parsley
15-20 peppercorns
1 tsp dry hot chili flakes
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 lbs elk liver, cut into pieces and outer membrane removed (you could use any game or domestic liver)
1 tsp salt
2 sticks butter
1 large dollup bacon grease
1 tsp grated nutmeg
2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 pinches ground cloves
1/2tsp ground sage
1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 pinches dried thyme
4 green onions, finely chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
1/3 cup Calvados (see comment on liquor above)
4 tbsp finely chopped parsley
3/4 cup heavy cream

Place liver in a bowl and cover with milk, let soak in fridge for at least an hour, overnight is also fine. After testing I do believe this cuts the heavy flavor of game livers, particularly elk.

Pour water in a large pot and add 1 tsp salt, celery, parsley sprigs, peppercorns, hot chili flakes & the cinnamon. Bring brine up to a boil, cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add the liver and bring back up to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the liver pieces and place on a plate to cool.

Meanwhile, place the butter, bacon fat, remaining salt, nutmeg, dry mustard, sage, coriander,thyme, allspice, cloves, green onions, garlic, liquor and parsley into a food processor. Pulse until well blended. Once the liver is cool remove the outside membrane and any gristle. Chop finely and add to the food processor. Pulse until well blended and smooth. Add the heavy cream and blend until mixed.

Line a ramekin or bowl with plastic wrap and spoon in the pate. Smooth out and wrap well in plastic wrap. Store in the fridge overnight (or 24-48hrs is better) before serving or freeze for later use.

To serve: remove plastic wrap and invert onto a plate. Use a warm knife to smooth out any rough spots. Cover the top with freshly ground pepper and finely chopped fresh parsley. Serve with simple or unflavored crackers or bread/toast. This is also good with toast and a tart jam/jelly. If serving with jelly I prefer to leave the parsley garnish out.

*this also works very well as a condiment to your grilled elk steaks as you would use horseradish

[Linked Image]

Enjoy!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by huntinaz; 10/20/16.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LIVER ??? HELL NO !!!!

Anything that requires that many ingredients to taste good as well as soaking beforehand ain't fit ta eat. WORD !!!

MODS, MODS, MODS !!! Please delete this thread ASAP !!

grin wink

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
More liver for the rest of us Denney.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
LIVER ??? HELL NO !!!!

Anything that requires that many ingredients to taste good as well as soaking beforehand ain't fit ta eat. WORD !!!

MODS, MODS, MODS !!! Please delete this thread ASAP !!

grin wink

This is a delicacy my friend!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by huntinaz
[quote=284LUVR]LIVER ??? HELL NO !!!!

sick maybe in Thialand sick

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That sounds great to me.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rong
Originally Posted by huntinaz
[quote=284LUVR]LIVER ??? HELL NO !!!!

sick maybe in Thialand sick

Haha. Thailand. I can see you boys need some culture. Better schedule a visit to come see me and I'll make a believer out of you yet grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HATE beef liver but love a good Jewish deli style chicken liver pate.

How does it compare ? Beef liver is just plain wrong.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've not had chicken liver pate but I can say chicken liver is a lot milder are more delicious than elk and beef livers. Elk liver is similar to beef and they are my least favorite livers. Making this pate though removes the strong liver flavor and it is quite mild in this form. I am very happy with how this turned out.

Perhaps I should make or get ahold of some chicken liver pate for a complete comparison.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Mighty fine presentation, Sir and the Armagnac is a fine choice as well.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for this - there will be a venison version done up for Christmas here.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mighty fine presentation, Sir and the Armagnac is a fine choice as well.

Thank you, it's a fine Armagnac if you're into that kind of thing.

Thanks for this - there will be a venison version done up for Christmas here.

Should be even more excellent with venison liver. Next time I do a Wellington it is going in sauce that envelopes the meat with the mushrooms and chestnuts wink

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.