Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Not as many hunters this year. The weather was warm, really warm. It was 50's and 60's during the day and 40's at night. The wind howled all day Sunday and Monday, blowing down many dead trees. I saw three cows Saturday at 300 yards but I didn't have an ethical shot. I saw one cow on Sunday at 400 yards and also didn't have a shot. I saw one legal bull on Sunday at 150 yards as is the norm when one has a cow license.

We had one cow elk killed out of ten hunters. I didnt see many elk hanging.

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We were over in 231 I managed to shoot a lone cow. I saw no elk hanging in camps, weather was very warm on Saturday and Sunday. I'm thinking 2nd season will be ok but 3rd season might be the season to hunt this yr.

Last edited by 79S; 10/18/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I had a great time. It was great weather for an October camping trip. If I had to kill an elk every year I would have stopped elk hunting years ago. We came home Tuesday.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still have one afternoon left to hunt. Foggy all morning and I got tired of waiting for it to lift, so I came back to camp. Have seen a lot of elk, some up close and personal, but not the one that I am looking for.

The weather has surely been different this year and the animals have been pretty unpredictable in their movements. The wind had them just about shut down for two whole days, and it came up again yesterday afternoon just about the time that they would ordinarily start moving again. When they can't hear and can't smell, they sit pretty tight in the thick stuff.

Last edited by mudhen; 10/19/16.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tough conditions with wind and full moon where we were. Got interrogated by a couple of CPW guys who were real pricks. Had great camping weather and enjoyed the hunt other than the time spent with CPW employees.

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 30338
Tough conditions with wind and full moon where we were. Got interrogated by a couple of CPW guys who were real pricks. Had great camping weather and enjoyed the hunt other than the time spent with CPW employees.

The two CPW fellas that talked to us were pretty good guys.. they were out of Hayden.. got some good info from them concerning 3rd rifle season for deer..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Heard from Jeanne Horn of J Bar H Outfitters that they have had an excellent first hunt. She guides in unit 12. She posted on her web page that while the weather was warm, the hunting was good. Her walk-in cooler was full. One of the hunters up there for the first season has said that he saw more elk than he has seen in years. He was hunting above 9,000 feet.

The long range weather report for the second season, looks much like the first. I look forward to the third season and hopefully cooler weather.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
GMU 15 - same wind and warm weather, other than about 1.5" of snow Tuesday evening. Walked 6-7 miles on Wed. morning and saw one set of fresh elk tracks in the snow. Saw no elk hanging and heard few shots. Saw one area in the southern portion of the area that had several fresh tracks, but never saw any elk. Did see three fine mulie bucks and numerous does as well as one moose over the season. Tag soup...again.

Saw more DOW folks than I've ever seen outside of their office. Four trucks and probably 7-8 officers all mixed in a group of horses along the road....not sure what was up or if the horses belonged to an outfitter or were being used by DOW.

Last edited by Gregdoo; 10/20/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Talked to one of the big processors here in Meeker today. He said that they were maxed out the first day, busy as hell until about noon on the second and then it was really slow from that point on.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

368 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 16penny, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.