Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Hey guys,

Ive got 3 winchesters with steel cross bolts in the stock. 2 super grades and 1 safari. The cross bolts in all three were finger tight from the factory. Ive tightened them up and used blue lock tight but have been told they are useless unless epoxied into the stock.

a) is this correct
b) how do I go about doing this

Thanks in advance guys

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seven0Eight
Hey guys,

Ive got 3 winchesters with steel cross bolts in the stock. 2 super grades and 1 safari. The cross bolts in all three were finger tight from the factory. Ive tightened them up and used blue lock tight but have been told they are useless unless epoxied into the stock.

a) is this correct
b) how do I go about doing this

Thanks in advance guys

The absolute only good they do is fill the holes drilled for them. Epoxy bedding obviated their need a half-century plus ago.

Now they almost need to be epoxied in place as recoil will hammer the wood around the inlets and loosen it to the point of possibly producing the fulcrum point that breaks the stock.

It is very easy to do and extra clearance is not really needed. Wax or rub release agent on the screws and bolts as well as the edges of the stock around the holes. Then apply your epoxy... it will not take much at all. Let squeeze-out harden a bit before trimming with a razor or scalpel. Take the bolts out after a few hours of curing then reassemble.

This is one of the very few jobs where I have a strong preference for the specific epoxy and feel steelbed has the best set of characteristics in use.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

The absolute only good they do is fill the holes drilled for them. Epoxy bedding obviated their need

I I strongly disagree with that, they serve a totally different purpose than epoxy bedding.
Recoil impulse causes the stock to to spread and split at the weakest point, ie where the crossbolt goes, and epoxy can't really help with this here because it it is relatively weak in tension, especially in thin layers.
A glued in crossbolt is the best thing you can do for a timber stock.

Last edited by Castle_Rock; 10/21/16.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This is a set and forget job so don't use release on anything.

I do like the steel bed, that is Devcon steel,for this job as it is black, and I like to heat it up a bit after it is mixed with a heat gun after mixing so it flows well.

Work the glue in well, put in the sleeve, screw the nuts up and clean the excess off with a rag soaked in alcohol while it is soft, no cleanup required later

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Anytime you heat epoxy you degrade it to one degree or another, depending on how much you heat it. I don't know how much that effects what y'all are doing here, just throwing it out as a general precaution.

I've broken apart pieces of wood by hand that were glued with hot epoxy in an effort to disprove what the West System guys warned us about. After that I took heed to what they said.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock

The absolute only good they do is fill the holes drilled for them. Epoxy bedding obviated their need

I I strongly disagree with that, they serve a totally different purpose than epoxy bedding.
Recoil impulse causes the stock to to spread and split at the weakest point, ie where the crossbolt goes, and epoxy can't really help with this here because it it is relatively weak in tension, especially in thin layers.
A glued in crossbolt is the best thing you can do for a timber stock.

Whoa, sorry, but you are way wrong. Epoxy has very high strength in tension and adjuncts can be added if needed to raise that even higher.

You are correct about thin layers not being as strong, but that is a function of their thickness, nothing to do with their relative tensile strength. Further, that thin layer is backed or backing (depending on the point in the pressure cycle) the stock wood.

Many tests have been done on the forces at play here and stockbolts add nothing. Done properly they do not reduce strength

Notice fiberglass stockmakers do not put stockbolts in big kickers... They do not even make the area in question of solid fiberglass.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Anytime you heat epoxy you degrade it to one degree or another, depending on how much you heat it. I don't know how much that effects what y'all are doing here, just throwing it out as a general precaution.

I've broken apart pieces of wood by hand that were glued with hot epoxy in an effort to disprove what the West System guys warned us about. After that I took heed to what they said.

Absolutely correct! Epoxy 101...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
This is a set and forget job so don't use release on anything.

I do like the steel bed, that is Devcon steel,for this job as it is black, and I like to heat it up a bit after it is mixed with a heat gun after mixing so it flows well.

Work the glue in well, put in the sleeve, screw the nuts up and clean the excess off with a rag soaked in alcohol while it is soft, no cleanup required later

I also do not consider it a set and forget job. I have seen them rusted terribly and in need to inspection and replacement.

Fortunately, epoxy breaks down quickly and easily with heat... I use an old car body soldering gun for the task.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
So why not remove the cross bolt entirely and replace with epoxy plug -maybe with chopped fiberglass added. Whatever color you want.. No rust considerations later.

Unless one wants to maintain original looks?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Filled epoxy won't have enough shear strength.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal

Filled epoxy would have far more sheer strength than the toughest wood... And the real issue is tension, not sheer. Shock resistance is also an issue, but epoxy is stronger than wood there too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
So why not remove the cross bolt entirely and replace with epoxy plug -maybe with chopped fiberglass added. Whatever color you want.. No rust considerations later.

Unless one wants to maintain original looks?

They do look cool when done right...

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by pal

Filled epoxy would have far more sheer strength than the toughest wood... And the real issue is tension, not sheer. Shock resistance is also an issue, but epoxy is stronger than wood there too.

Since when are cross bolts made of wood?

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Notice fiberglass stockmakers do not put stockbolts in big kickers... They do not even make the area in question of solid fiberglass."

I don't have a dog in this fight but some really good gunmakers (Echols among them) install steel crossbolts in their synthetic stocked rifles.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

Obviously cross-bolts are not made of wood... but wood is the material being "protected" by them and it is infrequently subject to splitting when cross-bolts are not used... Adding significant epoxy bedding with glass fibers and epoxy worked into the end grain of the magazine well will absolutely do far more good than cross-bolts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Woodhits
"Notice fiberglass stockmakers do not put stockbolts in big kickers... They do not even make the area in question of solid fiberglass."

I don't have a dog in this fight but some really good gunmakers (Echols among them) install steel cross-bolts in their synthetic stocked rifles.

Aesthetics...

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

Obviously cross-bolts are not made of wood... but wood is the material being "protected" by them and it is infrequently subject to splitting when cross-bolts are not used... Adding significant epoxy bedding with glass fibers and epoxy worked into the end grain of the magazine well will absolutely do far more good than cross-bolts.

This was the post I had responded to.

Originally Posted by las
So why not remove the cross bolt entirely and replace with epoxy plug -maybe with chopped fiberglass added...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hidden crossbolts for aesthetics? Don't think so.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Hidden crossbolts for aesthetics? Don't think so.

Did not realize they were hidden... So he installs a bedding block...

By definition, cross-bolts are on the outside to prevent the stock from splitting.

From lab testing on wood I am not in favor of metal bedding blocks, at all... interpolating and extrapolating from those tests leaves me lukewarm at best to using them in fiberglass...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To explain why I do not favor metal bedding blocks or cross-bolts is fairly easy... the metal has a slick surface which is difficult to glue and keep glued because of the differences in thermal expansion rates in the metals versus the glue versus the stock material.

And then the stress from recoil while stressed.

Especially when there are products like Steelbed which gives the benefits of metal without the big thermal expansion differences.

Using an old Sako barreled action with the bedding block, 461 IIRC, and tried all sorts of stuff to make the bedding block remain attached to the bedding for any significant amount of time.

I consider them the answer to the question that either should never be asked or was asked and answered 50 years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 71 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,365
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.