Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have 55 yr old eyes, and they're not getting any better, hence the reticle question. You guys 10x rec makes perfect sense, and I like it, assuming the reticle is easy to see and use. Appreciate the help.

I had my mom and a couple of her friends out shooting a while back... they're all in their 60s. They had no trouble using the 10x Mil-Quad to hold wind and make hits out to 600+. It was a ball watching the ladies think they were "super snipers".

Hell, if you buy one and don't like it, they sell pretty quick here in the classifieds... and you'll probably only take a $30-$40 hit on it. Worth that just to see if it'll work for you.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Agreed Dog. Thanks

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Originally Posted by JGRaider
Dog, what about the mil-quad reticles on the 10x as compared to the 3-9x....are they the same?

I have both the 10x and the 3-9. The 3-9 reticle is .07 mils thick vs. .05 for the 10x. The 3-9 is a little easier to see as the light fades. The wife doesn't hunt yet so the 10x resides on her .223 Montana since low light is not an issue with it. The 3-9 went on my primary hunting rig. If they would put the .07 thick reticle in the 10x, that's probably all I would use. Oh, and for what it's worth, the glass is better on the 3-9, comparing favorably with the LRHS.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 10/20/16. Reason: Quote

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
No need.... my CTR has bitch slapped multiple 5Rs..

Yeah, cuz long actions and plastic socks are so much stiffer than short actions housed in fiberglass. MUST be more conducive to accuracy.

Laffin'. Sounds like operator error to me.....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
No need.... my CTR has bitch slapped multiple 5Rs..

Yeah, cuz long actions and plastic socks are so much stiffer than short actions housed in fiberclass.

Laffin'. Sounds like operator error to me.....

Laffin... sounds like another case of your biased theory trumping reality...

I personally know two guys who dumped their 5Rs and bought CTRs... their operating improved instantly.... weird....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That must be why so many match shooters run tupperware with short action cartridges housed in long actions. It's all making sense now........

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Oh, and for what it's worth, the glass is better on the 3-9, comparing favorably with the LRHS.

John

Wow, either I've got a couple of bum SS 3-9's, or a fantastic LRHS, cuz to my eyes the glass in the LRHS is noticeably better. The glass in the 3-9 is much more comparable to the glass in the SS 6x and 10x IMO.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Oh, and for what it's worth, the glass is better on the 3-9, comparing favorably with the LRHS.

John

Wow, either I've got a couple of bum SS 3-9's, or a fantastic LRHS, cuz to my eyes the glass in the LRHS is noticeably better. The glass in the 3-9 is much more comparable to the glass in the SS 6x and 10x IMO.

Could be I've got an exceptional 3-9 or maybe just tired, old eyes. grin

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The OP is looking in the right direction,to connect dots. Happiness can ONLY be arranged with throat/twist/COAL harmony and boolits always matter wayyyyy more than headstamps.

1200 Clams leaves lotsa options on the table. The RAR's get alotta schit right,regarding the Trifecta above and dumping same in a Plywood Boyd's,seals the deal. Nice thing about plywood,is they are easy to sculpt for ergo's and they are far more stable than Living Wood and Light Years ahead of Milk Jugs. Lose the trigger lever and re-spring to under 2lbs. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The alotted budget will easily source a S/S RAR 243Win in plywood,wearing a Fixed Fhuqker 6X MQ and leave loot for more 105 Hornie HPBT's. No thang to push their .530 BC at 3050fps and that pile driving ass and minimal recoil/expense,will only connect more dots. One could slum a .547 BC at like speeds,but Booger High Birds are far from warm/fuzzy on Critters and the Hornie HPBT assuredly is of superior mettle. Pun be intended.

With the "lowly" 105 Hornie HPBT at said speed and a 250yd zero from sealevel along The Milford,the reticle alone will "only" getcha to the 1150yd line. The 95 cain't hang in either terminal affects nor flight characteristics,let alone gettin' the goody outta the reticle. Hint.

Neither the Creed' nor 260 can push the 123 as fast as a Vanilla 243Win can scoot a 105. Toss the 130JLK in the fray,add some COAL latitude and some nice thangs can happen in 6.5,but certainly not at Vanilla 243Win 105 Loot. I LOVE my 20" Montucky 6BR and 105's wayyyyyyyy past the 600yd line,despite gunning numerous 243's,243AI's,6-284's and a Montucky 1-8" Twat-Six. Hell...I LOVE the 18" Montucky BABY 270 and 105's at 600yds++. Re-hint.

I shoot 'em all. The 6mmRem and 6mmRem AI being the schittiest chamberings of the lot,no matter the action length or twist rate. Easy for me to say,if only because I shoot it all. Hint.

L-R: BR,270,XC,243SALAMI,243AI,6mmRem,6mmRemAI,6-284,Twat-Six

[Linked Image]

Now as the erector goes,'Horn's go without sayin'...just sayin'. All are in a fhuqking hurry to forget that everything below zero is 100% absofhuqkinglutely USELESS. Hint. Read that again. Now one more time. Re-hint.

[Linked Image]

Variables fhuqking suck and I don't give a schit who makes them. Hint.

The 6X MQ has no equal for Utility,nor is anything even fhuqking close. It connects the most dots,with the least concessions. 6X MQ for Utility,10X MQ for Giggles.

Conjoin 'Horn rings with the 6X MQ and it's easy to reach the 2000yd line(36 Mils from the above zero and atmosphere) and in order to do so,no "weight" or concessions are added to the equation and most cain't begin to savvy the ease in which such things are arranged. Just ask a Texan and 'Raider in particular. Laughing!

I'd be happy to use 2pc 1913 happy rings,shim the rear and rock the 40MOA inherent 'Horn's,in order to coax all the goody outta the equation.

I can only lead folks to water.

Hint......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I shoot 'em all.

Seems you neglected to stuff a Dasher in the pic.......grin....

IC B3

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Stick,

When you say montucky are you referring to a Kimber Montana? I've been looking at the Boyd's and if I go RAR will be getting one to compliment the rifle. I'm leaning toward the fixed 6 utility! grin

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Trystan
Stick,

When you say montucky are you referring to a Kimber Montana? I've been looking at the Boyd's and if I go RAR will be getting one to compliment the rifle. I'm leaning toward the fixed 6 utility! grin

Trystan

Yeah, Montucky, Horn rings, etc. You'll get used to it grin

The Boyd's ain't a bad call.

Keep in mind the intended use of the rifle. If you're going to be stomping in the woods with the rifle, as well as shooting long, then the versatility/utility of the 6x would be desirable. If you're going to mostly hunt open country and shoot targets, the 10x is awesome.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes that's Alaskabilly. If you don't speak it you will learn.

I just ran some numbers to recheck what I already knew. Not that it matters at this point, because your mind seems made up, and it's not a bad way to fly, nor close.

The 95 Berger I run is about 100 fps faster than the 105s I ran. It is indeed a touch flatter @ 600, and even at 1000. But the difference is so small, it really don't matter. It's basically a wash. I would base it on which bullet you and the rifle like best. But the Bergers at least rate a range session IMO. Only reason I say this is because accuracy in factory tubes has been superb thus far.

I have really had a hankerin' to mess with a RAR lately, but sure as he11 don't need another rifle.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do hope Boyds inletting is better these days. I have seen some $hit from them that someone should be shot for calling it "drop in".

Truth is, I hate laminates anyway. But if it was the only option vs. tupperware I would happily take it....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes that's Alaskabilly. If you don't speak it you will learn.

I just ran some numbers to recheck what I already knew. Not that it matters at this point, because your mind seems made up, and it's not a bad way to fly, nor close.

The 95 Berger I run is about 100 fps faster than the 105s I ran. It is indeed a touch flatter @ 600, and even at 1000. But the difference is so small, it really don't matter. It's basically a wash. I would base it on which bullet you and the rifle like best. But the Bergers at least rate a range session IMO. Only reason I say this is because accuracy in factory tubes has been superb thus far.

I have really had a hankerin' to mess with a RAR lately, but sure as he11 don't need another rifle.....

You know this already, but when talking anything beyond PBR, "flatness" is largely irrelevant, though impact velocity and wind drift certainly are not...

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I do hope Boyds inletting is better these days. I have seen some $hit from them that someone should be shot for calling it "drop in".

Truth is, I hate laminates anyway. But if it was the only option vs. tupperware I would happily take it....

Drop in or not doesn't matter to me as I'll touch it up and bed it regardless.

I'm surprised you don't care for laminate as often as you quote bench rest shooting. Laminate is among the most stable of platforms one can bed a barreled action into.

If your running advertised numbers on the Berger vs the Hornady real world performance will likely leave you a bit disappointed! When I tested Berger's a little over 11 years ago they were plum full of schit on there BC numbers.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had four 6 Dashers, two ran the 95's, and two the 105's, and I found 120 FPS average difference between them, which was basically a wash in performance.

I killed quite a few coyotes with the 95's, and they worked well w/o tearing the hides all the chit.

Berger BC's are not "inflated".......that's Nosler's job....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Performance aside, I usually default to the Horn 105 AM or BTHP for high-volume rifles because they're a bunch cheaper than Bergers around here, and that means more shooting for the $. They've always given stellar accuracy and terminal performance, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by aalf
Berger BC's are not "inflated".......that's Nosler's job....

LOL, that's true!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am talking about what I actually saw them do. POI being nearly identical. I did check some numbers, and they came out exactly as expected.

Truth is, it's a moot point and not really worth arguing over. Either one will whack an antelope from pretty far away. I would go with whichever one shot best out if the rifle. Which is why I recommended the Berger to begin with. Mine like 'em.

I much prefer a quality fiberglass stock to anything laminate. IMO they are both lighter weight and stronger.

I wish I could describe what had to be done to a couple of Boyds offerings as "touch ups". But that was years ago, and they mave have gotten it together since then. Are they the only options on the RAR right now?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 63 invisible), 3,008 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.