Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's going on right now around (most of) us.

No, not caribou or terns or some African species or even geese.

Butterflies. Specifically, monarch butterflies.

[Linked Image]

They are the only butterflies that migrate anything close to the distances that they do, and when you think about the distances in relation to body size it's just mind-boggling. This is an animal that might be 2" long and 4" across the wings, that floats and flutters through the air - that will cover 2,000 to 3,000 miles down and across the U.S. and into Mexico. That's a distance more than 90 MILLION times it's body size. To put that in context, an animal the size of a caribou would have to cover over 100,000 miles.

If you haven't paid attention, do yourself a favor and do so.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find a 22 garden gun with #9 shot to be the most sporting here.

I got some trophies at home; I'll get some pics.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Let me add to this the migration of the ruby-throated hummingbirds. We'd be remiss to not mention Mickey's favorites (though I'm sure he'd be watching the monarchs as well).

[Linked Image]

Those little zippers will the same distances, and occasionally even more. Many will cross the entire Gulf of Mexico in a single, overnight flight.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Green Darners migrate too, they might be a little more sporting with a 22 garden gun and #9 shot. laugh

http://www.migratorydragonflypartnership.org/index/about

The aptly-named wandering glider (Pantala flavescens), though less famed as a migrant than the monarch butterfly, makes annual flights across the Indian Ocean that are twice the distance of monarch migrations.

Last edited by NeBassman; 10/21/16.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Amazing creatures!

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thought this might be about Syrian dirtbags.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
Same here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So much for blooming where you're planted. Why can't they just be happy with their circumstances?

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew about the migration of the Monarch, but I've never seen it put in terms of their size vs. distance; that's really cool. Thanks for sharing that.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Amazing creatures. Watching hummingbirds never gets old.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I knew about the migration of the Monarch, but I've never seen it put in terms of their size vs. distance; that's really cool. Thanks for sharing that.
When you take into consideration that it takes several generations to do this it becomes even more Amazing.

Riding a motorcycle when they are migrating is a yellow mess.
Had to stop more than once to clean the windshield, and a lot of my black leathers were yellow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was introduced to a location on a higher elevation mountain in Montana where the Monarchs hatch by the millions, maybe billions? I was engaged in my "internship" with Dr. Charles Jonkel the bear biologist in Montana.

During this hatch we could watch dozens of bears grazing on the larva and the newly escaping butterflies as they came out of the Pupa stage. The Bears were just slowly walking along eating them by the bushel.

It seemed that these bears had this as a learned trait. They did not bother with them until the hatching began. We were trying to determine if there was a smell that called the bears to the area, or if they began to see them fluttering around and flying. Maybe that was the tigger point to get them into the area.

Years later My wife and I shot a big black bear, a huge one 465 lbs. It was digging into a nest on the ground. When we got to it, the nest was filled with lady bugs, Billions of them. It was only moments before they were crawling all over us. Skinning that beast was annoying as the lady bugs were crawling all over us in our hair, faces, and up our pant legs. During the drive home in the truck we were still picking them off of us, and several days later there were still live ones in my truck!

Never saw anything like that for a nest of lady bugs. Thankfully they were not fire ants, or hornets, we would have had to abandon that bear if they were!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
JJhack The migatory insects you saw in Montana might have been army cutworm moths rather than monarchs.The migrate from the plains to mountains in the spring and in great numbers. The moths need cooler temps and feed on spine flowers. They rest under rocks, etc. Grizzlies dig them out and feed on them. Bunches of them are a high calorie food source.

The globe skimmer dragonfly migrates very long distances.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've got some wild growing violet colored flowers on the property that bring in the hummingbirds. Pretty cool to see them.

These same flowers have little hooks at their base that cause them to detach and hook onto my dogs when they go amongst them, giving them a decorative appearance. LOL.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was always told lady bugs were good luck(probably because they eat aphids). One summer day about 6000 feet up in the Sierras I drove through thick clouds of them, and probably had thousands of them hit the truck. I never decided if that was really good or really bad luck grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord

I was thinking deceased democrats flocking to the polls.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
And the monarchs winter in a couple of very, very small remote locations in Mexico. If those locations are lost the entire species might collapse.

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
And the monarchs winter in a couple of very, very small remote locations in Mexico. If those locations are lost the entire species might collapse.

Not might; would.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Greatest migration?

Salt Lake City, Utah,...November 2016.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

I only saw a few Monarchs up here this year, and that's been only in the last few weeks.
Think I read something a few months back about something that damaged the Monarch population this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,149
Posts18,465,009
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.