Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ronc
All I've ever used is gas checked Cast Performance. Do y'all have leading problems with non gas check bullets? Was looking to try some of these...

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=115&category=5&secondary=14&keywords=

First of all, do you have 1st hand experience showing that a little leading in your firearm is "bad"? I ask this because forum-chatter oftens assumes "leading" is bad, and then guys spend $ trying to "correct" it.

Secondly, I've used MBC's 18 Brinnel product in 44 mag and found it very good. I like doing business with them.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by ronc
All I've ever used is gas checked Cast Performance. Do y'all have leading problems with non gas check bullets? Was looking to try some of these...

http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=115&category=5&secondary=14&keywords=

First of all, do you have 1st hand experience showing that a little leading in your firearm is "bad"? I ask this because forum-chatter oftens assumes "leading" is bad, and then guys spend $ trying to "correct" it.

Secondly, I've used MBC's 18 Brinnel product in 44 mag and found it very good. I like doing business with them.

I've never spent time and money striving for MORE leading.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RyanTX
I ordered my Missouri Cowboy #9 bullets (Brinnel 12) last Friday and had them by Monday. Got some loaded up over 8.0 gr of Unique (around 900 fps) and shot them last night. The load was plenty accurate through my 25-5 and there was no leading at all.

I got the ones that are coated and like them a lot so far. Also didn't have all of the smoke that the standard lube had.

[Linked Image]

I have her big sister.

[Linked Image]

Also just placed an order with MBC.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice!

Which bullets did you go with and what Brinnel?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
R
ronc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Well I ordered bullets last Friday and they arrived this past Monday morning sharp, can't beat that. 16 grains Accurate NO.7 chronoed at 1075, very pleasant shooting and accurate too. No signs of leading I guess, everything looks good. Will be ordering more of these soon, very pleased. Ranges 15, 25 and 30 yards off hand.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by ronc; 10/20/16.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Nice!

Which bullets did you go with and what Brinnel?

Ryan, I ordered 800 each of Cowboy #9 Hi-Tek 255 gr SWC 12BHN, Elmer K Hi-Tek 255 gr SWC 18BHN.

The 4 boxes I ordered, 2 of each type bullet, is the max weight you can order (64 lbs) and keep shipping at $14.00. These 4 boxes = 58 lbs.

Look around for a discount code. If you are a member of another certain hunting, shooting, Bushcraft, survival website there is a 5% discount available. Hint. Hint.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good load and fine shooting.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
nice shooting RONC, looks like that will work.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
thanks for the tip Local Dirt.

I also ordered some 147 gr TC for both of my boy's 9mm pistols. The shoot USPSA production (Juniors) with me. I use Montana Golds through my G34, but I've been using 147 leads through their pistols (Xdm and M&P).

Problem was, on a calm morning, the smoke from the lube would hang so long that they were losing sight of their targets and it was really slowing them down.
I was going to switch them to MG's as well, but thought I'd give these a try with the Hi-Tek coating and see if it helps. Even with the up-charge for the coating, they're still cheaper than the MG's. And when you go through 450 rds in a match (between the 3 of us), every little bit helps.

They think these look cool:

[Linked Image]

I also had some 148 gr DEWC for my 38's. Those have a BHN of 10 and I was getting lots of leading even at minimum book loads. I called Missouri Bullets and asked him about it and he had me load them down (quite a bit below book minimum). I was unsure about it, but they shoot well and no more leading. They are "powder puff" rounds, but good for plinking now. I just won't order anymore that soft.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That 'soft' ain't an issue if they fit correctly.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I believe the cylinder throats on two of the pistols need to be reamed. I can't even push a .357 bullet through them, much less a .358

But, according to the technical section on the MBC website on how to calculate what BHN you need, even the book starting load was way over the 10 BHN that these bullets were. So, since I was getting leading even in the cylinder that I could just push a .357 bullet through, I figured it was a hardness issue.

Will still get those throats reamed. Seems no one does it anymore so I'll be ordering the kit from Brownells. Need to do a couple of 45 Colts as well. That's going to be expensive though. Too bad no one offers a rental program for those things.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
11BHN bullets got the 44 magnum kick started. 10BHN is plenty 'hard' for a 38 special.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The least leading I've ever gotten from a plain base lead handgun bullet has been with the 11 BHN 45 Colt bullets I mentioned on page 1 of this thread.

The most consistent 'leader' for me has been MBC's 170 grain 40/10mm 170 grain cast SWC- at 18 BHN. This is consistent across a half-dozen barrels with loads ranging 800-850 fps. I'm using 4.0 grains of W231/HP38 and the loads are smoky, too. But it's easily the most accurate lead 40 bullet I've ever loaded and the bullet is a good critter killer, so I've kept using it.

Believe I'll give the coated version a try next time.

Last edited by SargeMO; 10/21/16.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Can't say enough about MBC customer service. Called JoAnn Thursday around noon with a couple quick questions. She answered those and a couple more I came up with once we got to talking, and a joy to speak with to boot.

Came home later that afternoon and placed my order online.

Got home this afternoon (Sat) and 58 lbs of .45 Colt goodness was sitting in my chair on the front porch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Probably won't be needing any .45 Colt for a while, but they've got my business.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (5sdad, 257wthbylover, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 23 invisible), 1,902 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.