Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was looking at McMillan's Edge stock for my M70 Featherweight- turns out the Featherweight has a relatively light wood stock (28-ish oz)- I would still see a near 8 oz drop with a Edge stock- fairly significant, but I'm wondering if the Edge provides more than just weight savings?

stiffer, aluminum pillars = better shooting???

they aren't exactly cheap, so if I could realize some additional benefits beyond the 8-ish oz weight savings it would be a little easier to purchase one smile

thanks in advance

BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I doubt you will see an 8 oz drop with the Edge- the ones I have seen finish out at around 26 oz. You would get an outstanding, stable, all weather stock

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mt-

As mentioned above, you won't see an 8oz. savings - more likely about half of that.
As well, regular fill stocks are available with pillars too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Real world, probably 2-4 ozs difference, and a tad stiffer, but likely you couldn't shoot the difference....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you weigh your wood stock?

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dad once slipped, his Fwt landed on the heel (he sort of landed on it too) and broke completely into 2 pieces where the tang screw comes through. His rifle received a Fwt pattern McMillan after that and it's still in place today.

This happened on a gravel road that had received freezing drizzle for a few hours. Dad was sure-footed and in good shape in his mid-late 40's at the time. I was sitting in the back seat of his vehicle and watched it happen. He was getting out to go check out a spot that deer seem to always go when the weather turns cruddy. No hurry, not in a rush, just slipped. Can/could've happened to anyone.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I currently have two M70 Fwt Stocks, a LA and SA.

The LA weighs exactly 24.0 oz's. The SA weigh's 25.1 oz's.

I've never had one heavier than 25.1 oz's, and I think I've had 6 M70 Edges. Most were right at 24.0 oz's.

I'd recommend you get a quality electronic scale and measure your current stock.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Gents- lots of good info! The 28 oz weight came from a post on here, but I haven't weighed mine (I do have an accurate scale, so should do that)- if it's in the 25-26 oz range, even less weight savings than I thought. Looks like I under estimated the weight of the Edge stock (and quite possibly over estimated the weight of my wood stock).

My FWT isn't a tack driver, but respectable for a sporter- obviously any improvement would be welcome, if there were any.

I really hadn't considered the strength of the stock with a mishap, but very valid point and I'm sure we've all gotten close to a major fall with our rifles.

Definitely a lot of food for thought.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
24 ounces, give or take, is what an EDGE Featherweight stock should weigh.

In general, I would expect a wood Featherweight stock to weigh 2 pounds plus, (32-40 ounces). But I am open to the OP's being an exception or me being plain wrong.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I suspect Brad was referring to 24 and 25.1 ounces as the weight of his EDGE stocks.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Rick- I found one post that mentioned 28 oz and very interesting seeing Brad's posted weights. If mine in fact weighs in at 32-40 oz, my decision will be much easier smile

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickBin
I suspect Brad was referring to 24 and 25.1 ounces as the weight of his EDGE stocks.

Ahhhh- that makes sense!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The advantage of a McMillan besides a slight weight savings are several things.
Mainly strength against accidental spills as mentioned. and the assurance of your zero not changing like what can happen with wood stocks. Yes there are wood stocks that are damn near as stable as a McMillan but still if you want a dead reliable rifle a good stock like a McMillan help tip the odds in your favor.
They are also easier to repair cosmetic issues from the bumps and dings that do happen.
Also switching to a McMillan is an opportunity to get a stock that the ergo's are better for you. like the length of pull, the pistol grip shape and so forth.

I have a pre 64 270 FWT with a Compact Edge and I really like it.
Still I have some pretty wood rifles I use but I carry the Mcmillan stocked rifle more.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To further answer the question:

Apart from weight, an EDGE stock is constructed from an inert material. A wood stock is much more prone to expanding and contracting due to temperature and/or humidity. In my case, I work on rifles in California. When I get to Montana, temperature differences can be 100 degrees or more. That affects wood. Humidity will not vary so much, but I promise if you hunt Alaska, coming from the desert southwest means a big humidity change.

Pillars are intended to keep the stock material upon which action screws bear from collapsing and compressing over time, which adds a (significant) variable to the stock/action interface. Suffice it to say that you want a stress-free action, and if your stock material begins to compress or deform over time, you will play hell keeping an action stress-free. Pillars were developed to address this in wood stocks. So you can pillar-bed your wood stock. I pillar bed all my personal rifles, most of which sit in McMillans.

The following does not apply only to EDGE, but I would say that, for me, the biggest advantage to semi-custom rifles (with aftermarket stocks) has been rifle fit and balance. Yeah, I appreciate the (generally) better accuracy and cool custom factor, but really, at a (not too) un-standard 6'2" and 215 pounds, factory rifles at standard LOP simply do not fit me well.

McMillan normally allows you to find a pattern that works well for your body type, built with the correct LOP, and yes, if I am also barreling an action, I can then factor in barrel specs to get the type of balance I want in my rifles.

So, for starters, ultralightweight, inert, pillared, properly-fitting, and let's not forget, aesthetically pleasing improvement over factory wood (not to speak of Tupperware) stocks. These are some of the advantages of EDGE stocks.

I still think they are the best on the market, assuming you find one that fits you correctly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It seems 1911 and I were typing at the same time. Thanks 19!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
great minds think a like..... Ha Ha

my stock came indirectly from you, I purchased it unused from a fellow member here who decided to go a different direction on a hunting rifle. I love that stock even though I am a sucker for a beautiful piece of walnut.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love fiddleback. In gunstocks and guitars. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's not all about weight loss.

I love great wood in rifle stocks but there is no denying the superiority of a good synthetic like a McMillan. I have seen more than one rifle completely change personalities with a good pillar bedding job in a high quality synthetic like a McMillan.

On any hunt it's reassuring to know that your rifle will not change POI due to stock swelling/shifting etc. I learned this the hard way back around 1979 or so, but it didn't take me long to figure it out. smile

Been using McMillan since the early 80's when Gale McMillan inletted a Sako stock for me to a pre 64 M70.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good stuff guys smile

I'm fortunate that the factory FWT stock fits me almost perfectly. I checked with McMillan and they said they could configure their FWT stock in Edge- looking at pictures it appears to be the same as the Winchester FWT stock. I'm not opposed to their compact stock either from a looks standpoint, not sure of fit vs the FWT though

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the Featherweight fits you, I'd say stick with it. The McMillan version is a dupe of the factory Winchester stock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
371 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 38 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.